The Nvidia GeForce 8600 compatible with Mac!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Converted2Truth, May 13, 2004.

1. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

you do know this card isn't out yet? ATi already has it beat with their next offering, i believe the R800? something like that anyways. ATi is still the king, nothing new here. This is a different generation of video card, you need to compare similar gen. cards. It's like saying the GeForce FX 5900 beats ATi's Radeon 7000.

3. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

That's a dumb comparison. The 6800 should be compared to the ATi Radeon X800.

As for embracing the Nvidia... don't complain when you have a noisy G5

4. Converted2Truth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

The card is available at this very moment for PC. I don't know what makes you think that it hasn't. Just about every gaming pc maker lets you upgrade to it. As as for the noise in the G5? ****, there's no way to get by that nowadays. Find me a top of the line VPU that doesn't have serious noise levels (And liquid cooling is not an option for G5 at the moment). The x800 shouldn't be compared to anything yet, because it's not out!

Don't be sore just cause your stuck with a retail 4x 9800 POS ..you can upgrade.

5. Converted2Truth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I stand seriously corrected. Holy shiat... ATI has the title.

6. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

so what was the point of this thread again? o ya...nvidia is garbage. ati has handed it to them for several years in a row now, and they just can't get ahead of them. what's even funnier is the power requirements, ATi trounces them on a card using 3/4 the power draw, the article notes most modern computers would require an upgrade power supply to handle the Nvidia card. ATi is to Mac as Nvidia is to PC.

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

8. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Are those Halo benchmarks for the time demo? If so, they don't look right.

My G4 DP1.25 with Radeon 9800 (128MB,4X AGP) does about 34fps at 1600x1200 with mostly high settings. I don't think a 3.2Ghz P4 with a Radeon 9800XT would score less. Those must be tweaked for nVidia.

9. mew905 macrumors newbie

I dont know about you guys, but last time I checked the 6800 pwnt the X800. I cant remember, the 6800 is 2 generations old now.
    nVidia is simply smoking ATi, ATi may be making slightly more powerful vpu's several months after nVidia, but that's not really a fair comparison because ATi has the advantage of time, where they can see what nVidia has cooked up, and make a vpu to counter it. But then nVidia always has something up their sleeve. GeForce 7800 came out, then ATi's X1800. Then the GeForce 7900, then ATi's X1900. Then the GeForce 7950GX2, and finally ATi's X1950XTX (Pretty sure the GX2 smoked ATi's latest card, seeing as how its 2 vpu's on one board)
    Either way, ATi is left far, far behind in the dust by nVidia's new monstrosity simply known as the GeForce 8800, which even triples some framerates of the GF7950GX2. The 8800 doesnt double nor triple the performance of two X1950XTX's in Crossfire, however it does easily outperform it. Benchmarks show this beast is bottlenecked even by the new Quad-Core Intel CPU (I cant remember what it's model number is), and noone has been able to test these in SLI mode yet, as most consumers are limited to buying just one.

Please note: I'm not here to start a war, I'm here posting my opinion. I have never owned a mac, and I likely never will (too many programs I use are Windows only), so the performance of said cards may be (and likely are) different, if they are even available for mac.

10. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

why on earth dig up a thread from 2004 ?

you do realise they were talking about the 6800 not 8600 ?

and realworld benchmarks put the X1950 XT over the 7900, but that's by & by... Still doesnt explain whilst were tripping into the past on this one ??

12. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Its classic newbie style.

Newbies will dig up OLD threads and post in them, as they still count as a post count.

13. mew905 macrumors newbie

actually I came across it looking for any signs of a GeForce 8600, came across this and posted. I realized after I had posted it was over 2 years old, but oh well, I never planned to be on this forum for long.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

ooh was it somthing we said :eek:

15. mew905 macrumors newbie

nah, I hear mac users are better overall people than PC users (in such cases as pirating, where I've heard MAC users also buy the software)
    Of course I'm not saying all mac users are like that, just in general
    i just saw someone saying ATi is still in the lead, which they are for the most part, but they do have a few advantages.