The obligatory 10.4.8 ****ed my Mac thread...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gee, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Gee macrumors 65816

Ok, so I installed 10.4.8 on my MacBook Pro, and a very weird thing has happened. I now can't see my home network. Airport works, and can see other networks in the area, and will connect to another computer via a comp-to-comp network. But my home network has disappeared. What gives?

I can see it and connect to it via my two computers on 10.4.7. I can use Airport Admin from these computers to change the network settings (whcih I've tried). Butu my 10.4.8 MBP just doesn't see it. Any ideas?

I have tried repairing permissions, restarting, shouting at it, and sulking, but none have these have had any effect.

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

...did you use the combo updater or the little one?
    Just wondering, incase a pattern forms.

3. Gee thread starter macrumors 65816

I was on 10.4.7 before, and used whatever Software Update provided. Which one was that?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The little one.

Try downloading the combo update (intel) from Apple's website, and check the SHA1 code matches (to make sure the download isn't corrupt) and install again.

5. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

I AM SO F***** PISSED. SINCE 10.4.8 -:

1) My macbook has become Aquabook.
    2) My dock has started acting weird, the magnification got screwed up!
    3) Has anybody facing delayed bootups? Before the update, the grey apple screen used to simply fire up .... and now it takes like forever to come up!

Grrrrr....when is 10.4.9 coming out? :confused: :mad: :rolleyes:

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I run a powerbook with 10.3.9 and I downloaded the security updates that came out at the same time as 10.4.8, and now I have had 8 kernel panics in the last 24 hours since updating. Previously, I had maybe 1 or 2 per year.

I'm not sure if it's the update, as I just got it back from a repair of the LCD inverter board. Updating was the first thing I did after getting it back from the repair (after checking that the LCD was working fine).

I'd appreciate some advice as at the moment I don't know whether to complain to the repair shop or look at fixing the security updates.

7. Gee thread starter macrumors 65816

Done that. no difference - it's weird that my MBP can see other networks, but not my Airport one. Very annoying.

Any other ideas?

8. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I'm having problems with it on my Mac mini. While I'm not positive it's 10.4.8 that's causing it, the problem started right after I updated. It's all explained in my thread.

9. HughJ macrumors regular

everything works fine on my imac, except safari is now slowing down, when i got the machine a few days ago, it absolutely flew opening any page, now (and especially on macrumours) it takes bloody ages, what seems to speed it up is if i re-click the link in my address bar, then it will open immediatly

10. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

Hmmm...dunno about this one is a problem or an update....but after i pdated my system to 10.4.8.... my "Software Update" icon in the System Prefrences has got a funky look to it. Does everyone have this , or is it only me? :confused:

Attached Files:

• pref.jpg
      pref.jpg
      File size:
      88.2 KB
      Views:
  11. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I can thank 10.4.8 for screwing up my network connection. Before the update, everything was flawless. After, the computer is behving as if it's constantly trying to re-establish a connection between the MBP and the Linksys router. Instead of a steady stream, any traffic now comes and goes in "pulses" (judging from the Coconut app in the dock). No more internet radio; after 5 seconds or so it tries to rebuffer the stream and fails horribly.

The airport radar widget goes something like this if I watch it for a few seconds:

"Network" channel X [padlock]

to

to

to

etc etc etc.

I don't know how to fix it and I'm not happy.

13. iBrad macrumors newbie

iBrad

Looks like I'm not updating for a while, sorry to hear your problems guys and I hope Apple recognizes this

14. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Insomnia Screwed

Just thought id post again saying 10.4.8 has killed the Insomnia kernel extension this effects:

MultiAlarm
    InsomniaX
    Sleepless
    KisMac

15. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I've had one little weird qirk with this update, it seems to have messed up my screen savers when using iPhoto folders. The library itself is fine, but whenever I select a iPhoto folder for my screen saver it just pulls images out randomly.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Try setting up your wireless network again, it might just have lost the password or something, other than that I can't think of anything... Is it actually an airport? or another brand or wireless router?

17. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

a minor thing I have noticed... on 10.4.7 when I shut my MBP lid, the apple logo illumination turned off as soon as the sleep light came on and the latches clicked... now, it takes a couple seconds for the apple logo to turn off on the lid... not affecting anything, just thought it was interesting

18. Gee thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, it's an airport express. I've tried switching off wep, changing the network name, channel, etc., and it still doesn't appear in the MBP airport menu. I'm loath to reset the damn thing because I have two computers on 10.4.7 that are both working fine with it.

Anything I can do to the MBP itself that might help? Short of threatening it...

19. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

This sounds nasty. I think I'm just going to stay on 10.4.7 as I use internet streams all the time with airport extreme. Though I'm on PPC but I really don't want to end up "What if" and even though I've read lots of colour problems like blue cast's on the Macbook's here.
    No way! (It may just be Macbooks or just Intel I do not know but I sure am not willing to take the chance right now). I'm in PS every day for work and don't want it to mess up my colour profiles.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The dev version screwed up my iMac so bad it wouldn't load the OS. Had to reinstall and re-update everything. Worked fine on my friend's and my Mom's new mini. I'm not at home right now, but I'm going to try again with this new one when I get a chance. Weird because I usually don't have issues, but I do have some hacks, so I'll be watching to see what others experience first so I can be prepared.

21. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Same here. Also, my MBP boots up slower. I booted it up for the first time since updating a few minutes ago, and it took noticeably longer.

22. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Apple said that intel macs would take noticably longer on the first boot after installing the update.
    After I installed the update I sometimes get the "recovered files" folder in the trash with something like mac"something here".update.plist inside of the folder. I have no clue why though.

23. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Oh...I thought that meant that it will take a long time to boot after the reboot when installing the update. Well, thanks for clearing that up.

24. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Mine wouldn't connect to the internet, even though it connected to my network.. for maybe 4 hours. Then it just worked...

Also, on first boot, it hung on the grey Apple screen. Second it was slow.. third it was slow......

25. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yer, mine hung for ages on first boot, then restarted, was strange. All seems to be good now tho *Touch wood*