the OED and vernacular language/jargon

Discussion in 'Community' started by janey, Nov 12, 2004.

1. janey macrumors 603

janey

Do you have any words that (you think) should be in the OED (or the shorter less formal edition) but isnt? I'm pretty sure that "google" and "slashdotted" are great words that should be in the OED but aren't, for starters, last time I checked.

If "bling-bling", "Atkins", "defragment", "half-pipe" and "f*** buddy" are in the OED, then why not anything else? :)

2. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
  4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Too late ;), when was the last time you googled?

The *geeky* group has a lot of words on different areas:

I Photoshoped it, I colosynced the pic, ... blablabla

What's coming? dashboard it!

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Flaming

Trolling

Pic, which was mentioned above in the context of "I colorsynced the pic"

6. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I see "fluffer" made the list...so I will suggest "MILF".

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I just finished reading The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary
    by Simon Winchester.

[​IMG]

The author tries to impress you by using as many unnecessarily big words and convoluted sentences as possible, but if you wade through it the history of the OED is fascinating. I was particularly struck to learn that all of the research for words starting with my favorite letter (Q) was lost in 1879. The paperwork was later found in the hands of a man in Loughborough, England, who thought the project to build the Dictionary had been abandoned!

An amusing anecdote about missing words: Some people suspected that the word pacifist was omitted from the first editions of the Dictionary for political reasons. The truth is that the word pacifist was not in any published literature until 1906, while pacify and pacific had been around centuries earlier.

Words I think should be added? bundunctious, a word I made up in high school (and managed to get into an editorial I wrote for the school paper!). I still use it when I need a random adjective that doesn't have to mean anything in particular.