The Office (American Version)

Discussion in 'Community' started by shortyman, Apr 8, 2005.

1. shortyman macrumors member

shortyman

I know that there was a thread a while back discussing the American remake of The Office, but i thought it would be interesting to gauge people's opinions on it now that several episodes have be shown.

I ought to state that I am a huge fan of the original, and while i thought that the first episode of the remake was ok, the second was absolutely dire and I found it difficult to see how the show could recover. However, having seen the third episode, my viewpoint has changed. The third episode was much better, very funny, with Dwight starting to make an impact as the Gareth-character that he should be. While I maintain that the choice of Steve Carell is poor (he is just too OTT), I am much happier with the choice of the actors playing Jim and Pam, and I feel that they have successfully captured the essence of the Tim and Dawn characters of the original. In fact, those two are probably the main reason why I want to continue watching the American version.

Finally, just want to highlight the annoying fact that the actors names are put up at the beginning of the episode. IMO this spoils the whole mockumentary approach.

Anyways, had to get that off my chest.

Opinions? :)

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I agree with everything you said...

The first two episodes weren't that great, but this week's episode was very funny. I loved the name of the fake diseases they made up just to piss off Dwight, especially the one about your teeth liquefying and going down the back of your throat :)

I loved Steve Carrell on the Daily Show, but this character just doesn't fit him.

Not as good as the original, but it's getting better.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Having never seen the UK version, I really like the US version... Steve Carell's performance is over the top, to be sure, but his character is SO un-PC and inappropriate that, even though I find myself cringing, I just can't wait to see what he says or does next. It's a miracle his character hasn't already been fired by his superiors.

And they have to show the actors' names at the beginning of the show because it's common practice in the US now to compress the end credits to the point of illegibility, so that they can show promos for other shows. If you didn't list them at the beginning, no one would know who's who.

4. shortyman thread starter macrumors member

shortyman

Well that makes sense, cheers clayjohanson! It still takes away from the whole mockumentary thing though.
    I actually so enjoyed the third episode, I would say that it almost wouldn't seem out of place on the original. Its interesting how they have adapted the British scripts around American style, mixing and matching from many different episodes. I'll be interested to see how they create a new David Brent dance or singalong....

:)

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I've never seen the original version either. I'm sort-of enjoying this one, but it's not yet one of those shows that I'll really miss if it goes off the air.

Definitely agree with the cringeworthiness of Steve Carrell's portrayal of the boss, especially during that second episode (the diveristy training class). And I'm a sucker for romance, so I'm getting pulled in by the flirtation between Jim and Pam. ;)

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Steve Carrall was hilarious in Bruce Almighty. He played the hapless newscaster playing to the whims of Carrey's character.

7. shortyman thread starter macrumors member

shortyman

I have to agree, Carell was fantastic in Bruce Almighty - unfortunately he just doesnt quite cut it as Michael Scott.

8. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

He was also really funny in "Anchorman."

"I DON'T KNOW WHY WE'RE YELLING!"
    "LOOOOOOOOUD NOISES!"

And the part in the beginning where he's putting mayonnaise in the toaster...

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

The reason the actors names are at the beginning is because of SAG. That's the reason that Lucas made Star Wars a non-Union shoot is because SAG makes producers put the actors names at the beginning.

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That's not always true... there are plenty of movies that have no actors' names in the opening credits (or no opening credits at all)... Solaris, for one example, or any of the Matrix movies. Sure, SAG would WANT the names there, but that doesn't always make it so.

11. sarae macrumors 6502

Does 24 put the names of the actors in, also? I know that when they're going through the intro/"last week" stuff they actually show the characters names at first.. then I think they show the "guest starring" actors names.. but never paid attention to when they name the main stars.

12. shortyman thread starter macrumors member

shortyman

Hmm, not sure about 24, they definitely do the character run through/catch up as you say, and they definitely do the guest stars etc. but i just can't remember if they do the main cast actors? Oh well, good excuse to go and watch it I suppose! 24 day 4 is awesome!

13. sarae macrumors 6502

I forgot I had an ep on my laptop... so I watched the first part. They show the actors names, discreetly at the bottom once the show starts, both the regular actors and the guest stars. But the character names are much more prominent at the beginning.