The Office?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Buschmaster, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Please tell me someone in here watches the Office.

I haven't seen the last one, and I plan on watching it on Thursday with my girlfriend before the new one. It's hard to explain, but it is kinda like our show... So we're going to watch them together on our anniversary.

I actually gave her the Dwight bobblehead from the NBC store as a gift.:eek:

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah, you're talking about the American version. Which is pretty terrible compared to the orginal. Americans trying to perform English humour just doesn't work.

3. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

It isn't English humor as it was "Americanized" or whatever. I've seen the UK version, Gervais is hilarious in it. Merchant and Gervais wrote the last US version's episode.

4. beloved84 macrumors regular

i love the office. i bought the 3rd season on itunes since i can't make to the tv on thursday evenings.

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I watched it all the time, its a nice fun show. Its very popular on the itiunes music store.

6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

You obviously haven't seen many of the American episodes. Only the first couple episodes of the first season tried to emulate the British version (which I am a big fan of, BTW). After that, it went off in its own direction. You can hardly watch the show now and think it's trying to be "English humor."

7. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I first saw The Office, back when it came out in the UK a few years back and I was instantly hooked. Gervais and merchant, are in my eyes, cmedy genius'. IMO, the American version had nothing on the Uk version, don't get me wrong, it was funny, but it was just missing that irreplaceable Gervais feel.

I also love Ricky's standup comedy, 'Animals' and 'Politics' are absolutely hilarious, aswell are 'The Ricky Gervais Show' podcats with Ricky Gervais, Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkington.

8. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I'm a recent convert to The Office, just started watching it several months ago. I saw one episode when I was feeling too lazy to change the channel and laughed so hard I started tuning in every week since then. Ahh, the "Gaydar" device! LOL!

9. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I love The Office. The first season I've watched is this current season (3), but over the summer my friend told me to download some episodes of Season 2 from iTunes. I was hooked immediately and downloaded half the season. Now I look forward to it every week. :D

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought this was going to be about the good Office :D

I dunno, I excitedly (stupidly?) looked forward to anything new following the original Office's style, but it just wasn't as funny. Even Gervais couldn't make the Simpsons funny :eek: Even Gervais couldn't make Extras series 2 as good as the first one.

11. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

12. oblomow macrumors 68000

oblomow

Have you seen 'the Office' like training movies that Gervais and Merchant made for Microsoft UK? Hilarious. Google it. It could have been a real
    office episode.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I love the show myself. I have both the UK versions and the American versions here. I loved the UK versions and watched before the US got it. I found the UK version to have a different sort of humor than the American version. At first I Was disappointed with the American version for trying to replay the UK version, then around episode 4 or 5 I think it started really taking off on it's own road. till funny but different funny. I love both of them fairly equally.

14. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I love The Office, it is hilarious :D. I never saw the English version though.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Office is good TV. Not great, but good.

IMO, the show has one, big flaw -- the Steve Carell character. Of course he's funny, but the character is so completely over the top, compared to the rest of the cast, which is portrayed with relative realism and believability, that it throws the entire thing out of whack. Too bad -- it could have been great TV.

16. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I agree with the others, it is not English humor, it is very americanized humor. I don't watch much TV at all so I've never seen the original, but maybe that's why I love the US version so much because I have nothing to compare it to.

Speaking of the Office, has it taken this long before to release the latest episode on the iTMS? Usually it comes out Friday mid-morning (eastern time) but it is Sunday now and I still haven't seen it show up.

17. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I don't believe a new episode aired this past Thursday.

18. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

My bad... I misread the date for the one hour episode. I hate the last two weeks of school, I get all mixed up about what day it is.

19. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

loveeee this show.

however, i tried watching the UK version, and i guess i just dont get the humor. it wasnt very funny to me.

i just cant get enough michael and dwight.

the UK version of dwight looks like he has AIDS with a side of Cancer

20. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I've seen both the UK and US versions. Loved/hated both just because of how annoying the characters can be at times (too true to life, perhaps?). I didn't care much for the first season of the US version since it was almost a complete rip-off of the old UK series, but as it's matured and come into its own it's gotten much better. It's now one of the few TV shows (the others are House and Lost), that I'll watch on a regular basis.

21. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

As a Canadian, I appreciate both UK and US versions, although I've only seen the UK version start-to-finish. Once the US version got out from under the shadow of the Brits, and stopped being an awkward, exact copy, it shone.

Gervais/Merchant are brilliant writers, but Steve Carell is an amazing comedic talent.

22. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I love Jim's sending Dwight faxes from "future Dwight". That was priceless.

But my favorite moment has to be when Jim claimed to have telekinetic ability... Dwight asked him to prove it, so Jim asked Dwight to pick out an object in the office. Dwight picks the coattree next to Pam's desk... Jim concentrates on it... it moves... and Dwight has this amazed look on his face. Then, the payoff: They cut to Pam in the conference room and, without saying a word, she holds up the umbrella that she obviously used to nudge the coattree without anyone seeing.

23. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

The first couple of episodes were bad. Since then, it has gotten better, MUCH better, in my opinion funnier than the original (and I'm a big Ricky Gervais fan).

It has become one of my favorite shows. You really make a connection with the characters; I guess a lot has to do with the fact that there's no laugh track. And as IJ said, Steve Carrell's character is over the top. He's my least favorite person on the show. Ricky was believable as the obnoxious, awful boss...Steve simply is not. The other characters make up for it though, particularly Pam, Jim and Dwight.

I liked when Jim sent Dwight the "Gaydar" device, and all it was was a metal detector with "Gay / Straight" painted on it.

24. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

My fav was when Jim told of how he made Dwight hit himself in the face with his own phone handset by gradually putting nickels inside to make it heavier, then removing them all at once.

25. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

this show is pure brilliance. i'm a fan of both versions, and watch them pretty often.

looking forward to this week's long episode. thursday nights on nbc are solid now, with 4 good comedies.