The Official Batman Begins Thread.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by loib, Jun 7, 2005.

1. loib macrumors newbie

I just wanted to say I saw Batman Begins at an advanced preview screening, and the movie just ROCKS!! It is way better (darker), more intense than Burton's movie. The Batmobile just rocks! I love Morgan Freeman's character and the city of Gotham looks wicked. Anybody who wants to see the movie should go check it out when it hits the theatres.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I can't wait to see this film!!! The trailer looks awesome :cool: Will be catching it as soon as I can. Glad to hear that it should be as good as the trailers made it look.

3. dhracer88 macrumors regular

I thought Batman Forever signified the end of all Batman movies. Are they doing a Star Warsy kinda thing, the prequels (or whatever they're called)?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it's more of an alternative approach than an outright prequel. That's only from the trailers I've seen though. Either way, it should be a great movie. :)

5. dhracer88 macrumors regular

Ah. Is it the same director and screenwriter(s)? If they're different, maybe they're trying to "forget" the last movie's title and continue the Batman saga. It looks like new video games will be coming out soon. I've got Batman Returns for my Sega Genesis, which in my opinion, is far superior to any other console ;) . That game's hard though...My favorite game is Toejam and Earl and the Boogeyman (or something like that--I lost it moving :( )...

6. sebisworld macrumors 6502

I just wanted to say that I saw it on June 1st (brag, brag). But I think they could have done a lot better with the Icelandic scenes.

7. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Its a complete restart to the franchise, being only linked to the previous films by the central characters. Christopher Nolan (Insomnia, Memento) directed and co-wrote the script with David Goyer (scriptwriter/driector for Blade etc). I am very much so looking forward to it... :cool:

8. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

BB not a prequel

This looks like a new beginning for the Batman saga.

It will be interesting to see the reaction Scarecrow gets from the audience. He is supposed to be a master of fear so I expect psychological thriller type of scenes.

Isn't this year great for comics fans? Sin City, Fantastic Four and Batman Begins all in the same year.

Now, who will make the Marshal Law movie?

9. efoto macrumors 68030

It surely is a wonderful year. I can't wait for Spiderman 8, Batman Begins - Again!, X-Men .23, and so many others that are going to continue to be created, then created previously magically :D

Although, Spiderman 3 and X-Men 3 do show quite the promise, I hope they both go through....somehow.

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

There's scenes on Iceland? Cool :p

I'll need to see this movie. Seems like it's better than the trash before it.

/Also awaits Spider-man 3 and X-Men 3 (but scared by change of director :()

11. efoto macrumors 68030

In the preview (if you haven't seen it) they show him walking around on some ice fighting some guy, and then summiting a little hill and walking to a shrine-type place. It seems they are in Iceland I guess, looked like Tibet to me but that is a gross generalization and just because that is what comes to mind when I see snow and monks I guess :p

I know zero about X3 and Spi3, change of director is a bad thing? Why would a director leave successful films? They get paid like everyone else right? Why walk from a good thing?

12. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

AFAIK, the guy who directed X-Men and X2, Bryan Singer, is directing the new Superman movie. Marvel & Co won't or can't wait for him to finish, so they had to find someone else. The two previous movies have been decent.. and I'm worried that the new guy will screw up. Change is scary :p

Luckily Uwe Boll is busy butchering a another game based movie. If he had take over X-Men, I whould literally cry...

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Ugh, I'm envious of you. :p

I was really pleased with how the Batman movie franchise started out (i.e. when Tim Burton was still involved), but then of course it just turned disastrous. Let's not talk about that. Based on what I've seen in the trailers (and what you've just said), I'm really looking forward to this "restart" to the series. It helps that Ra's Al Ghul was always one of my favorite villains in the Batman universe, and I'm anxious to see this film treatment of him.

14. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I dunno - after Tim Burton was forced out of the franchise, it just didn't seem any good to me. I'm afraid this new one will try and capture Michael Keaton's Batman without Tim Burton or Michael Keaton. And Alfred is different too...

But yeah, I'll probably see it.

15. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Tim Burton's Batman

I did not know that Time Burton was forced out. I assumed that he had lost interest in the franchise after two films and three villains. It is too bad we never saw Tim's vision of Scarecrow. Thematically this character suited his style better than Joker ever could. Jack Nicholson was ultimately a mis-cast in my opinion. A better comedian would have been a better choice. Steve Martin or Eddie Murphy maybe. As for the Price soundtrack, that was indulgence.

16. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Change

Tell me about it. OS X is going to x86.

17. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Didnt the old Alfred, the actor die? Micheal Keaton did an amazing job with the 1st two Batman movies with Tim Burton. Everything after was a freakin joke.

I'm greatly looking forward to this movie; looks like theatres worldwide will get a big revenue boost (Star Wars3, Batman Begins, Fantastic 4, War of The Worlds, etc); nothing but good blockbuster movies; the way it should be. Funny even though I saw Star Wars Ep3; I've already forgotten it.

@sebisworld & @efoto; Iceland has less ice & snow than you know, Greenland (part of Canada) actually has more ice than Iceland. Just thought you might like to know. ;)

Love how Morgan Freeman's character in the preview says "oh you don't want to know about that (Batmobile)" - sounds & looked just like my pops; hehe. I can see him getting new women trying to date him this summer.

18. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    My understanding is that after Batman Returns, which was rated PG-13, WB felt that the movies were too dark and this was eating in to the overall take on the film since you couldn't bring the whole family. So, WB told Burton they wanted a PG film or get out, Burton left, Keaton followed since he didn't want to work with anyone else, and Michelle P. (I can't spell her last name), dropped Catwoman for similar reasons. The franchise was then "retooled" which of course led to the disasters of the following two movies.

I think he did, I should have appended my statement with a :( -- so replacing Alfred was inevitable, but I still miss him.

19. efoto macrumors 68030

I always knew that Iceland had no (little) ice, but sometimes its hard to get over the name in times of weak mindedness....which is rather often :p, hence I said looks more like Tibet, which to my current knowledge has ice and snow like in the preview. I hope that is at least right....don't burst that bubble please....tell me they have snow.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Joel Schumacher messed those last 2 movies up pretty bad. I mean, it went from a dark, old-fashioned Gotham City to futuristic, bright neon lights, and bad guys who seemed like they were fun to hang with. :rolleyes:

Nicholson's Joker was classic. Even when I see him in movies today, I still see a bit of Joker in him, especially when he smiles.

21. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Got that right. An evil missmatch of the camp orginal TV series and modern day tech. With unnecessary crotch shots of the Batman and Robin:rolleyes:

This re-envisaging of the franchise looks great. And it is a whole new start - expect to see hints of the next films major villain at the end of the film.
    Plus, if you know your Dark Knight, the person responsible for his parents demise is different....... I say no more.

have any of you seen the 10min preview yet? If ya think the trailer is awesome, you're gonna love this: Batman Begins - 10 Min Preview

22. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yes; I think they altered the story in the first Batman movie (to make the Joker the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents) to make things simpler for the viewer who wasn't familiar with the comic books.

And, by the way, I thought Jack Nicholson made a great Joker. Remember, the Joker from the comic books was a real pyschopath, not the comic relief when things got a little tense in Gotham. I can't see an actor like Steve Martin or Eddie Murphy (both of whom are great) as the Joker.

23. efoto macrumors 68030

Agreed and Agreed. I cannot see a comic playing Joker simply because he was evil first, funny second, not the other way around. Actually I think a straight-faced actor would make a better Joker than a comedian, someone who isn't funny at all and that way when they are pitched these cheesy one-liners that are supposed to be funny, they say them with this straight face and then break into uncontrollable laughter....really psychotic like :p

24. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

I saw it last night. I took my younger brother who has never seen a batman film, and he really enjoyed it. Although batman has always been my favorite "superhero", I'm not a huge comic book fan, but hands down I enjoyed more than any of the other batman movies. Batman forever, and Batman and Robin were ay to much the the cartoon series, and basically, freakin' cheesy. All in all I really enjoyed it.

Oh, and I don't think they were supposed to be in Iceland, unless of course Iceland is in Asia. ;)

25. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Agreedx3!
    If you've ever seen the series Revelations, I think the main satanist bloke would make a good Joker - seriously psychotic and the breaking out into a Joker-esque grin - the guy has got the face for it and wouldn't need the latex getup Nicholson needed!

Keeping things Bat-geekish, if you ever read (or heard the BBC adaptation in wonderful 3D sound!) the Knightfall saga, I'm sure this would make a quality film. Hopefully with this restart to the franchise, they will have a better use for Bane than they did in Batman & Robin....

Mind you an animated film of Knightfall would be good too - always liked the style of the animated series!