The Official 'Disappointed with Apple' Thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SpaceMagic, Apr 26, 2005.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hey, thought i'd make an 'official' thread where we can all complain about Apple's disappointing products at the moment.

With eMacs over a year out-of-date, and PowerMacs fast reaching that number aren't you annoyed with Apple's slow updates.

I mean, so many people are still trying to find the "200 new features" they paid for in Tiger, and are yet to experience these "speed enhancements." Yeh sure, Spotlight is quite cool, but it doesn't even search through iPhotos! Let Down!

These new leaked PowerMac specs are pathetic! 2.7 GHZ Two years after the G5s were released and one year after the 3ghz mark we were supposed to surpass. Not even dual core. AMD are blowing us away with CPU score.

Apple, I don't care about little expose widgets, i dont need to check my flight through a fancy ripple effect box. I want speed, I want compatibility and I want us to be at the forefront of technology like we were when you introduced 64bit computing to the world before anyone else! Now stop messing with cr*ppy updates and give us what your customers want. Afterall, isn't that basic work ethic policy?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Tiger is NOT a let down.

Yes, the PM updates are disappointing.

Were you even planning on buying a G5?

3. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I admit, im in no position to say Tiger is a let down, but going from other people's opinions and reviews - it seems that way.

I'm always on the look out for new macs. I was actually thinking of eBaying this PM G5 and paying the difference for a new one. I just think the Dual 2Ghz is a 2 year old machine now. Even if I didn't swap my G5, i want apple to stay in the forefront. Something its not doing with a dual 2.7g5 when AMD are displaying dual dual 2.6ghz computers.

Perhaps :p this is all a conspiracy with Amazon - otherwise they'd have been pulled already. Perhaps they are making us THINK they're only going to release 2.7s and then they are dual dual 2.7 ;) who knows...

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The windows world likes to announce in advance...

Then delay, delay, delay.

These computers are "scheduled" to arrive in June. We'll see when they actually do.

I suspect in June Apple may have a dual core announcement of its own.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

My Spotlight searches through my photos in iPhoto just fine. And where does Apple promise 'speed enchancements'?

6. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Considering the fact that when I go on Dell's website and see that the top end system I can buy is only 740MHz faster than what I could bought from them 2 years ago, I don't see why everyone is having a cow over the PowerMac G5s. The fact is that Intel, AMD and IBM have all hit the wall. It's an industry wide issue, not just an Apple only issue like what happened 5 years ago with Motorola. So why is Apple being held to a higher standard when it's completely out of their control anyway since they don't even make CPUs?!?

Besides, I've yet to meet any professional that can't get their work done on a Dual 2.5 (or soon to be Dual 2.7) PowerMac G5 anyway, so it's really a non issue to most realistic people out there that need that kind of power. And if you really need more than what Apple offers, then by all means go on ahead buy that Dell then... :rolleyes:

7. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

I'd like to be the first one to go against the grain and say that people are just too ****ing hissy fit over Apple not hitting 3Ghz with their PowerMac. I've just had it up to ****ing here with everyone whining and booing at Apple about not hitting the Magical number on their G5. Boohoo Steve Promised 3Ghz and cant deliver... who's fault is it?.. Definitely not Steve's or Apples as far as I'm concerned, people need to realize that IBM not ****ing goddamn Apple makes the G5 cpu. If IBM cant hit the number then be pissed off at ****ing IBM not Apple. As far as the whole ...but Steve promised... ******** you can cram it up all your Asses because you're parents have done that to you, friends and family alike making promises that later couldn’t be kept.

I don’t mean to come off as an ******* here but I'm sick of reading the 10 billionth post bitching about how Apple cant deliver and "what a pathetic" upgrade. Its an upgrade none the less and it falls in line with what AMD offers speed wise on their cpu's and if you know AMD cpu's they work harder then anything Intel offers so don’t go crying to Apple when you see Intel hit 4.2+Ghz and we're at 3Ghz because the G5 works harder then anything Intel could ever dream up.

Anyways that’s my rant for today and as usual I hope no harm comes from said post.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

+1

I wish all the little whiny b!tches would just give it a rest. There seems to be an influx of them lately..

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

agreed, quit complaining and get on with your lives, if its a genuine problem then okay....but its not like apple promised updates every six months or whatever, we dont know whats going on over at their headquarters....give it a rest and just be happy that we have a superior OS

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Only two ways I see this as a possibility:
    1. Dual core XServe
    2. Dual core XMac

I think either one is unlikely, and either one would put the machine in the hands of only the privileged few.

11. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yeah, and it is really a big deal that we're not at 3ghz? I think most people want dual 3ghz boxes not because they need them, but so they can say "I have a dual 3ghz box."

I've got a dual 1.8ghz box, and it is still plenty fast. I don't see what the big deal is.

And I *am* looking forward to Tiger.

12. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Ooh get her!!! :D

Attached Files:

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i gotta say im dissapointed with a Apple for a small number of things, but its hardly life critical. you know, id love a better video card in my 12" PB, id love iPods to have BT and/or other wireless options. there are lots more things i want too, but i dont care. what im with now is a million times better than the competition. (mac>windows, ipod>creative)

So what if Steve said we'd be at 3ghz? rumors say that 2.7ghz are coming out. and i dont know about other people here but a dual 2.7ghz G5 sounds like a bloody killer of a machine.

Tiger. Tiger is Apple taking more steps in the right direction. it isnt a "MASSIVE NEW THING" or what other people want it to be, its a OS X upgrade. it does things better than panther. it dosnt wake you up in the morning with an intellectual debate on gay marriage or has a game of chess via thought control. it takes Panther and makes it better. some people like the idea of the dashboard, others do not. if you dont like it... dont use it. sorry if thats blatantly obvious.

14. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I agree. I would prefer to see an official "Happy with Apple because they make it so I don't have to use Windows" thread.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How is that any different from Apple? They are notorious for delays in shipping new products. Anyone will be lucky if they actually have their hands on a dual 2.7 for months to come :rolleyes:

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Apples Hardware has allways left me wanting, wether a year between updates,lame new hardware,poor choices for configuration since you cant order your mac your way. Its the same old old story best software and lame hardware nothing new in 10 years. :cool:

17. gate macrumors member

The new PowerMac configs are a real disappointment.

We don't know yet what the video card will be but I doubt that it's gonna be a PCI express. I also want DDR 2 RAM. And at least 3 GHz. And I don't want the last processors of a generation. I want the new ones: GX or dual core (or both). I know I want too much but I'm buying now for maybe 4 years so I will invest wisely.

18. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I must admit that I have neither any personal reason to complain nor am I getting any vibes from outside the community of such reasons.

Non-Mac-afficionadoes round me right now prick their ears, raise their brows and open their mouths (all at the same time) when I touch on the kind of stuff Apple is doing right now.

Sure, grass may always be greener, but I'm happy in the meadow I'm in right now ... the view is just dandy. :)

19. supergod macrumors 6502

Tiger is okay. Not great by any means. I think we should be able to settle for okay though: it sure as hell beats XP by a mile.

The powermacs are pretty cheesy: not in my opinion because of the processors, but because of totally outdated GPUs that while still good for gaming, aren't truly "pro" and lots of other bs. Powermacs are amazing looking machines and are pretty well built, but they're not amazing. I have a 1.6ghz Power Mac G5, still sweet even though it's not top of the line. Why doesn't apple focus more on pleasing their professional users: better HDs are nice, but how about 1 gig RAM standard. I know it sounds like a lot, but I don't know anyone who buys a Power Mac and doesn't upgrade to at least that much. PCs are coming with 1 gig RAM in them, I'm certainly sure that pro apple products could too.

Also, this might sound weird, but why don't Power Macs come standard with things like input for 1/4 inch audio (as an option). Or more USB/Firewire ports.

20. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Good point Henry. All those users with their Dual Core 3.2GHz Intel Pentium Extreme processors wish they had OS X ;) I just don't get why Apple has to be a hardware company. That's what everyone says anyways. "You can't release OS X for x86. Apple is a hardware company. Well, Bill Gates did pretty well with a software company. I wish OS X were available on x86 :eek:

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if apple was just a software company they would fail because they have a huge profit margin on the hardware, and they would have a much poorer OS due to the complications of trying to support such a vast variety of systems etc, they are allowed tighter control and integration this way

22. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I understand that the reason OS X runs so well is because they have control of the hardware. I can wish though can't I? BTW - I goofed on the link to the Dual Core system. It's a Pentium Extreme at 3.2Ghz...

23. iGary Guest

iGary

I love the ignore list. I'm so tired of the same people bitching over and over and over again.

I got what I wanted out of this update, and I think a lot of people would be thrilled with having a sub-2,000 dual 2.0, which, by the way is a SMOKING fast machine. I can't imagine there is any Photoshop action for my photography that this thing will not chew into pieces.

Now, people who have high-end video businesses or 3D work have a right to be disappointed, but it's not the end of the world.

I'm happy with Apple so far this year. New PowerBooks, which have gotten stunning ratings, new software ACROSS THE LINE, and now new hardware is showing up.

24. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You're right about the 2.0's and the 2.5's. I suspect that won't be the case with the 2.7's, though. I guess time will tell, but with such a minor update I think we'll have these right away.

The fact remains that dual core CPUs from any manufacturer are vaporware right now.