The official "I got the new iBook thread!"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Jul 27, 2005.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I get dibs on being the first guy with a new 14" iBook with Superdrive! :)

hehe

in all seriousness, this is a GREAT machine. i finally made the switch today with this, and i must say i am very impressed by it. i am so glad i got this. my folks were with me when i got it, and they were wowed by, as my mom said, the "whiteness and cleansiness" of the 'book.

Just wanted to also say thanks to everyone for all their opinions and info regarding the books that helped me in my purchasing decision. MR is one of the best communities I've ever posted on.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you... And a little jealous too. :p

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Is there an empty RAM slot available or did apple fill 512MB of RAM by giving us 2x256MB sticks?

4. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I'm pretty sure it's one 512 MB stick and the other slot is free... Hence the reason you can grab 1.5 gb after getting a 1gb stick I believe.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

quite true. And congrats on being the first on MR with a new 'book, and on your "switch!" :D

It's a wonderful machine; enjoy it!

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Pics please. We don't want another "incident".

7. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Cool stuff. So Muckyfingers can you confirm full Core Image compatibility by dropping a widget? So easy for you to do. Please see if it ripples and put our minds at ease!

8. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

9. apple4life macrumors member

The ripple is confirmed....

My girlfriend flew to Honolulu today (we live on the big island) for a conference tomorrow and friday and it didn't take her long to get to the ala moano shopping center, the location of the only apple store.... so far from any continental land mass.... and she spoke with an employee that said.....
    yes, the ripple effect is supported....

yes, we have ripple effect.... I repeat yes we have ripple effect....

:D :D :D

10. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

*ROOM FULL OF MEN IN SHORT-SLEEVED BUTTON UP SHIRTS, TIES, AND POCKET PROTECTORS-REMOVING HEADSETS, AND GIVING HIGH-FIVES ALL AROUND*

We did it fellas! The camel has entered the stable.

11. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Yes, the ripple effect is in here. It's great! :)

12. Hattig macrumors 65816

Mine's shipped :S

Download some game demos from Macgamefiles and do some benchmarks for us eh? Gotta see how the 9550 performs with 32MB RAM. Probably worse than my over two year old Radeon 9500 with 128MB, but not by a significant amount. It uses an RV350 core:

"First, let us establish that ATI itself does not really have a Mobility RADEON 9550 product. What the Mobility RADEON 9550 really is, is a Mobility RADEON 9600 GPU; the same one as you find in the desktop RADEON 9600, as they share the same M10 RV350 core. It is the first mobile platform GPU from ATI to support DirectX 9. Created using the 0.13 micron process, it has 4 pixel pipelines and 2 vertex pipelines, and runs at the same 350MHz core frequency of the RADEON 9600, thus becoming the first mobile platform GPU to break the 300MHz barrier."

http://www.cpluse.com/Module/Show.aspx?ID=870

13. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I have to make the decision between a 12 and a 14" iBook. Can I ask why you chose 14"?

14. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I chose the 14" simply because it's more comfortable for me to view the screen. Most people prefer the 12" and argue that since it has the same resolution it's pointless having the 14", but I feel so much better using this 14" and even though the viewable area is the same, it is much more comfortable on the eyes and the extra screen space is nice for watching videos/movies. :)

But to each his own. Try both out and see which one you like more.

15. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

That's the best advice I've heard in a long while.

16. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I ordered mine Tuesday night. It's still in the "Sent to manufacturing" stage.
    It's estimated to ship on or before August 3rd.

I want it now!!!

17. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Congrats!!! I ordered mine the day they were released and mines sent to manufacturing also, scheduled for Aug 2nd delivery. I ordered the one in my sig. Can't wait to get mine, and I hope you guys have fun with yours!

Jack

18. Shasta macrumors member

iPod being dropped off at home as we speak

Day two and my iBook is still sitting on a dock in China, the even updated the status to make sure I knew it wasn't going anywhere

... sweet

Shasta

19. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I just got an email from apple saying that my mini shipment has been delayed and that I needed to reply whether I wanted to cancel my order for the mini or continue it's processing, I picked continue so we'll see it when it gets here!

Jack

20. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

lol!

Thanks for that.
    :D

21. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Oh no!!!!!

I just got my 14" iBooks. I ordered 20, 1 for me and 19 backups just to be safe. Top of the line, superdrives and all that. Well, I left them all on my balcony handrail and........

22. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Ahh Muckyfingers... now I know why you so strongly encouraged me to go with this release instead of old stock from last release... Congrats! I'm ordering mine today (a 12").

Jim.

23. everybodylikepi macrumors member

everybodylikepi

Oh what an inconvenience it will be to go to the apple store and pick up 20 more. Shucks.

Congrats MUCKYFINGERS! I had the 14", albeit an older model, for quite a few years and I found it to be quite capable and durable.

24. Gmac07 macrumors member

i came close to getting the 14" last nite. (had the cash in my pocket) but i got a little scared that i was gona be disappointed with it. i jus cant get over the 15" PB. after sitting in front of the 14" for over an hour i just couldnt get over how dim the display was. i think im gona end up with a 15" pb 1.5ghz combo. then later on ill get a really nice ext dvd burner.

25. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger