The Official iPod nano Flaw Thread

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Apple!Freak, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

So it appears as though Apple is getting quite a bit of critical feedback concerning the iPod nano. Most of the complaints I've read have been related mostly to LCD defection, and the ease of being able to scratch not just the screen but the body as well. But, my biggest beef with the iPod nano is the lack of quality metal used.

I found that when I hold the nano and get my finger prints all over the metal backing, it takes a relativity high determinism level to wipe the prints gone. This hasn't been a problem with any of the other iPods I've owned so whether my problem is related to that or not, it remains a problem.

Between all of these reported complaints, I feel that Apple has a major recall on their hands. I say act now rather than later when millions of more units have been sold. Or even maybe charge a $20 exchange fee for a revised and true-quality version of the nano. I know that's a fee I would have no problem paying for a product as great as this (less the quality-control issues).

Obviously, this would be a hiccup in Steve Jobs' world domination plans but it's something that simply needs to happen.

So how has your iPod nano worked out for you?

2. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Just curious, does the scratches or fingerprints in any way cause the player to not work? Does the music automatically stop when you aren't able to wipe away the smudges?

If not, then why should there be a recall? It's an music player, not a museum piece.

First chance I get, I'm picking myself up one. If you want to sell your damaged one at a price reduction, let me know ;)

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I am glad I held out to get one (I'm one of those order anything new on the day is announced people).

Funny thing is I went to the Apple Store down the road to exchange a Cinema Display, picked up a nano, and said to myself: "It's too tiny and delicate."

Now, that is just my first impression holding it. With that said, I wouldn't be caught dead with one without a skin (my regular iPod never somes out of the dock without a skin for that matter) or some protective case.

I've seen pictures of (the black ones, especially) after a few days and they look like someone took a pice of sandpaper to them.

I think it is beautiful anyway. :D

4. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Doesn't the normal iPod get scratched very easily? As for the durability of the nano, it's obviously superior to the normal iPod, even to other MP3 players, as seen here:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3

And this is the third topic about the "iPod Nano Flaw", what's up with you guys?

5. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Black 4GB nano, quite a lot of really noticeable scratches, I don't really care :p

Here's a couple of pics (they're not very clear, as I found it hard to show the extent of the scratching, oh and most of the back is smudging and fingerprints)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

They do scratch easier. Our display models at work were scratched something rotten within a few days, whereas the older 4G and newer colour screen models stood the test of time a lot longer.

7. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Products don't get recalled because people have a hard time getting finger prints off them. I would not consider that a manufacturers defect in workmanship or assembly.

Let's get real people. My ipod gets the same sort of finger prints and gunk on the back. The only way to fix it would be to use the same type of material they use on the "fingerprintless" stainless steel refridgerators. Needless to say, stainless steel is more expensive than polished aluminum.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

this thread is CRAZY

lets start an offical problem thread for

iPod Mini ,iPod Shuffle, iPod, Mac Mini, iMac, eMac, PowerMac ect

sorry but there are so mnay things about how flawed the Nano is about all the scratchs they get. Well i have a Black Nano and no flaws there

thats my rant and now im done :)

9. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

they would have been much better off if they would have made the ipod nanos look like the minis then they wouldnt scratch as easy

i hate it when apple puts form over function

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

if they made the Nano look like the Minis it would be bigger

and would just be a 3rd gen Mini

11. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

How can you accuse Apple of putting form over function when you yourself are upset that the Nano scratches easily but continues to work? Being a little hypocritical are we?

12. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

But you see, to me, it is a museum piece because it's a work of art. I have the same feelings for most all Apple products; especially my iMac G5. For the reason I treat them as I do. I'll spend an extravagant amount of money just to protect such artistic pieces. Whereas the average consumer might glace at such a product and not understand its artistic value in what way they under-appreciate it. I really just have an immense appreciation for art, and I see most Apple products as some of that art.

13. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

The ipod nano isn't a museum piece - it's a music player. However, people have different reasons for choosing the ipod nano over the competition. It could be a variety of reasons, from the ipod name to the easy scroll wheel navigation. But alot of people pick ipods because they plain look good. Nano-purchasers fall under this category the most, probably. People who buy a slim, sleek, black nano probably have aesthetics as a high concern when making their purchase. It's still important to them to have a good music player, but they probably could have gone with the mini for generally a better deal if they didn't care as much about how their nano looked. if we took the nano and painted puke-green with pink polka dots, I'm sure it wouldn't sell as well. It's still a music player, and it'll still play music, right? The thing with the nano is that people can see a beautiful, scratchless nano on apple's website. They'll like the size, the functionality, and they'll like the look - all of it is taken into consideration. That's not what they get about a week after they buy it, though. They get the nice size, and they get the navigation-friendly ipod interface, but they don't see what they saw online. And though this happens to all products over time, the ipod nano gets smudges all over it by the end of the first day. In under a week, with regular use without a case, it's definately going to have dozens of tiny abrasions.

Then again, I wouldn't know how exactly apple would fix this. Just they have some sort of problem.

14. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I've been using mine daily since I got it, a few days after it was released and I have no scratches so far. Am I using it wrong or something?

15. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

How is it an Apple problem if you scratch your Nano? Would it be Honda's problem if you scratched your car after you drive out of the dealership? The Nano dosn't come with scratches, if your Nano has scratches it's because you didn't take care of it. I've had a Nano since it came out, not one single scratch. I use it everyday keep it in my front pocket in a iPod sock.

16. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Yeah your using it all wrong. Your supposed to throw it in your pocket with your keys and change, then blame Apple.
    :D

17. maya macrumors 68040

maya

And you can say this with utter certainty. :rolleyes:

They should have done many things, for example using the Mini case for the Nano since its replacing it anyhow.

Seems like Apple took one step forward and 2 steps back. Why is it so important that the Nano look like the rest of the iPod family, I loved how the Mini looked different from the whole iPod family. A rebel, like me. ;) :)

Does Apply make all they computer look the same, No. They use some good point from one line and carry it to the next.

Sad to see the Mini go. :(

18. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

i don't get why mine is so scratched, it just lives in my pocket alone, with no keys or anything like that.

Not even the ipod earbuds!

19. Jesus macrumors 6502

hey there, my iPod nano broke as in the LCD screen cracked after i pt it in my change pocket as shown by stevie. i have been unable to find the time to take it back to apple store regent street in london.

Jesus

20. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

they should just as Nokia and Sonyericsson for whatever they use for their screens, I have my phone on my pocket with my keys all the time and they never scratch or scratch very little, my (non-nano) ipod scratches a lot and that sucks for the color screen because you get weird reflections on the scratches, I can't believe the nano is even worst...may be they want to sell even more cases? :eek:

21. _Matt macrumors 6502

:eek: :eek: :eek: CONSPIRACY! :eek: :eek: :eek:

ill never buy a nano now...i guess ill be getting a 20 GB for xmas... :D

not to destroy the WOW! factor, but i think 80% of the population could snap the ipod nano in half with their bare hands...:eek:

iMac G4
    iPod nano

what is next on the list of apple products that have sacrificed durability in order to be aesthetically pleasing? :(

22. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Hope that was sarcastic because it took ars to do things what an ape would do to it. They ran over it TWICE! Only thing that broke is the LCD. They threw on the ground. They threw it out the window of a car going 50+ MPH. What finally did it in was a throw in the air with 40 FT above the ground. It could of survived it if it wasn't for the early abuse.

23. _Matt macrumors 6502

i did read the ars article and no sarcasm i was being completely serious...

i dunno about you but thats great if you can run over it and still play music on it, but if you keep your iPod isolated in your pocket like i do and suddenly after a few days it gets scratches on it...you might as well throw it from a car travelling 50+ because your investment has just been flushed down the drain...who wants a brand new iPod with scratches on it??? do you???

24. yenko macrumors 6502a

This just in:

Steve Job's in tears over complaints about iPod nano.

Hires new design team to build th "tiPod nano-o-mano".

New features include a polycarbonate ballistic screen membrane, titanium back with electrostatic epoxy coating for a mere $599 for the 4Gig model and only $499 for the 2 Gig.

Less $25 trade-in for your "defective" iPod nano. :D :D :D

25. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

isnt the regular iPod using the same plastics? anyway i think everybody is over reacting to the scratches....has anyone considered using

Novus
    http://www.noscratch.com/novus/