Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Two favorites:
Goldberg. Very simple. I use it for resizing images for use on webpages.
Libra. An iTunes Library manager without duplicates of your music files.
MacJournal. Yep. A journal. Lots of functions.

edit: I can't count.

Cybernanga

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Essex, United Kingdom
Makosuke said:
Cocoa Gestures…

Single biggest timesaver/hand movement reducer I have ever installed on a computer, period (and I've been using 'em since the before there was a Mac).

Just curious, what kind of computer were you using before 1984?

Lz0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2002
Melbourne
eclipse525 said:
I really liked this one. I've tried many other apps that gather the Album Cover art for iTunes songs/albums but this is the best by far.

It's called Clutter.

Launch Clutter when you have iTunes open. As a song is playing, Clutter automatically looks up the album art. Once found, under the File menu select copy to iTunes and BAM, it's there for the WhOLE album. Sweet.

One note. If it doesn't find the art, just go under the File menu and choose "Find cover in Amazon". Just type in different variations of the artist or song and i'm sure it'll pop up.

Enjoy,
~e

Doesn't run on 10.3

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
AL-FAMOUS said:
Ok i thought i would start this thread just so we can have a list of must have free apps, mainly for the newbies, but also for the oldbies to share the ones they already have...

my must haves are

MacStumbler
(finds Wireless Networks)

I have found Kismac superior.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
AL-FAMOUS said:
me also.... great app

i hate that app... thanks for putting it in though... :)

its the one with all the silly driver things isnt it..ok maybe its just im to stooopid to use it..;)

No its pretty easy to install...

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
i love these threads, i always find so many useful things.
aps that i use everyday are:
sidetrack: i don't know what i'd do without it. i hear that next revision we will start having to pay for it though.
adium: the only way i've managed to get both aim and msn file transfers to work + it looks amazing
menu calendar: i believe that while it is not free for full features you can still use the basic ones without paying. i've somehow managed to anyway. i really like having the date number in my menubar.
clear dock: not really needed but i like it
quicksilver: i can imagine not having this program, it makes life so much easier.
bytecontroller: control itunes from your menubar
gcount: gmail notifier
firefox: i find that it is faster than safari and i've just generally taken a liking to it.

i think that is about it on the free stuff

umgolfer

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
MI
DVD backups

Since I just got my new PMG5 yesterday, what is a good program (free or otherwise) for making backups of DVD's (legally of course)? I have quite a collection and ones that I use a lot I want to make an extra copy of. I am looking for a program that will allow me to make an exact copy of the DVD, as if I were playing my original copy.

Side Note: Since my new PM has a 8x Superdrive, do I NEED to use the 8x Apple DVD-R's, or can I use a different brand (or speed)? I remember back when I used to use faster CDR's they didn't always work good...is this still true? Thanks!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
umgolfer said:
Since I just got my new PMG5 yesterday, what is a good program (free or otherwise) for making backups of DVD's (legally of course)? I have quite a collection and ones that I use a lot I want to make an extra copy of. I am looking for a program that will allow me to make an exact copy of the DVD, as if I were playing my original copy.

Side Note: Since my new PM has a 8x Superdrive, do I NEED to use the 8x Apple DVD-R's, or can I use a different brand (or speed)? I remember back when I used to use faster CDR's they didn't always work good...is this still true? Thanks!

You can use any brand media as long as it's a DVD-R. Some generic media doesn't work but as long as you stick to name brand you should be fine.

As for exact duplicates it's most likely not going to happen. Most DVDs are dual layer or dual sided meaning they hold 9.4GB instead of just 4.7GB like the average DVD-R. If you wanted to make exact duplicates you would need to get one of the new dual layer burners otherwise you need a program that will split the data into two chunks small enough to each fit on a DVD-R. For normal use most people will not notice the loss of detail when compressing to fit on one DVD-R. I use Handbrake to do this myself.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
wwooden said:
Dent Du Midi: adds MIDI options to GarageBand

Is that all this program does? It is on my stepdad's pb (given to all faculty at a performing arts school he teaches at) and he can't figure out what it is for. Any more info on this program?

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
eclipse525 said:
I really liked this one. I've tried many other apps that gather the Album Cover art for iTunes songs/albums but this is the best by far.

It's called Clutter.

Launch Clutter when you have iTunes open. As a song is playing, Clutter automatically looks up the album art. Once found, under the File menu select copy to iTunes and BAM, it's there for the WhOLE album. Sweet.

One note. If it doesn't find the art, just go under the File menu and choose "Find cover in Amazon". Just type in different variations of the artist or song and i'm sure it'll pop up.

Enjoy,
~e

This totally rocks, a pity I've already taken the time to find most of my music.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
tombo said:
Just to throw my hat into the ring:
Wiretap

I have found this very useful in different circs. It runs 'on the top' of any application and takes up little processor
* take a funny quote from a DVD and use it as a system-beep
* record internet radio to listen to later
etc.

I'll second this emotion - I do some side DJ work, and this app is great for ripping samples and remixing when I'm dropping stuff to CDs. Grab the sound in WireTap, convert it to anything from AIFF to MP3 in Sound Studio, and mix it with either Sound Studio or Peak. I've sampled everything from Ghostbusters (Annie Potts, "Ghostbusters, what do you want!?") to Ronald Reagan (all his quotes about aliens to mix with Blondie's "Rapture") with this app -- it's a lot of fun to use and completely free. I wouldn't use it for heavy duty audio, but for sampling and quick rips it's great.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
umgolfer said:

Without a doubt, "SuperDuper!" is one of the best backup programs I've used. It won't make a DVD that is immediately useable on any old DVD player, but it will save all the information easily on a disk image should you need to make one (since you're not actually watching these anyway).

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
IDANNY said:
Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack Sidetrack
link= http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20854
sorry but it deserves everyone of those mentions a great application. A great app that really lets you control your trackpad. A must have if you have an ibook or powerbook.

MenuMeters Also another great app to tell you if your computer is actually working.
link= http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17713

Perhpas it is cool, but it "crashed" my touch pad. I zapped PRAM, repaired permissions and deleted the Sidetrack program and I still coouldn't get the touch pad to work again. Finally, I reinstalled Panther and it works......

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
floatingspirit said:
Perhpas it is cool, but it "crashed" my touch pad. I zapped PRAM, repaired permissions and deleted the Sidetrack program and I still coouldn't get the touch pad to work again. Finally, I reinstalled Panther and it works......

i just installed it and then i read this which scares me...

anyone else have this problem?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
howard said:

I've installed two or three versions of Sidetrack on my Powerbook now and have been using Sidetrack for about a year and have never had a singele problem. It's been such a staple that it's irritating when I use another laptop, much like Quicksilver - heck I even try to open Quicksilver using Quicksilver when I have to restart it! :p - so give it a go. I'm sorry to hear that another user had problems but it's been nothing less than perfect for me and the hot corners are great! :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
howard said:

I've had it installed on our 15Al 1.25 Powerbook since we got it last December. No issues.

Apple replaced a bunch of touchpads on the 15Al so I suspect it wasn't just the program that caused the issue.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
munkle said:
I've installed two or three versions of Sidetrack on my Powerbook now and have been using Sidetrack for about a year and have never had a singele problem. It's been such a staple that it's irritating when I use another laptop, much like Quicksilver - heck I even try to open Quicksilver using Quicksilver when I have to restart it! :p - so give it a go. I'm sorry to hear that another user had problems but it's been nothing less than perfect for me and the hot corners are great! :)
haha i do the same thing with quicksilver and then get annoyed at the thought of having to go poke around in my applications folder.

i've also never had any problems using sidetrack. i think it is fantastic, it makes my trackpad better than a mouse with a scroll wheel in my mind :)
when i use my brothers computer i get all frustrated without it.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lacie's SilverKeeper. It works very well for backups; basically syncing your folders with the backup version (on your iPod, or your FireWire drive, or wherever). Unlike CarbonCopyCloner it removes files from the backup that are no longer on the source, and it only copies the files that have changed. Also it'll let you keep multiple copies of the backups.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Westside guy said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lacie's SilverKeeper. It works very well for backups; basically syncing your folders with the backup version (on your iPod, or your FireWire drive, or wherever). Unlike CarbonCopyCloner it removes files from the backup that are no longer on the source, and it only copies the files that have changed. Also it'll let you keep multiple copies of the backups.

Yeah...but doesn't Retrospect do the same thing but better?

~e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.