The Official PS3 Price Reduction/Date Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by themanfromvlad, Jan 12, 2007.

1. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

Pretty simple idea. Post the new price for a PS3 60GB (in USD$ for simplicity's sake) as well as the date the price drop will come into effect (not the date it's announced). We could lock this thread in a couple of weeks and then revisit it when it finally is announced, I suppose.

New Price: $449
    Date: March 16, 2007.

2. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I don't believe Sony is in a position to lower the price of the PS3 right now or for a while since they are losing quite a bit already.

I would say $499 sometime much much later, like maybe 2008.

If anyone will be lowering their price first, I would believe that to be the Xbox 360.

3. themanfromvlad thread starter macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

That's an interesting comment Michael, and a valid argument. However, and this is the reason I posted this thread, I don't think Sony is in a position to allow thousands of PS3 sitting on shelves.

Right now, in Montreal (a city of 3.5 million people) there is a glut of stock unsold, just eight weeks after launch. I work for the Canadian Best Buy chain, and our stock is not decreasing. Here at Best Buy, I've been told to push the XBOX 360, because people who buy it also have money left over to buy accessories & games, which make us much more money than consoles.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not entirely true. They did a price cut just before the Japanese launch (and only for Japan)

So it's possible if Sony have been watching the bad press and general opinion then they may launch in Europe at a better price point.

At the moment the 60gb PS3 is set to retail in Ireland for €640 - €650 (as opposed to the suggested european guide of €599)

That's a lot of money or $840 in Dollars.

Added to specualtion that Europe may not see the 20gb HDD version.
    Retailers here in Ireland are not exactly happy or confident. And this from the country that has the highest per capita ownership of PS2 outside of Japan.

They need to release it here at a better price otherwise I cant see it shifting after launch frenzy has died.

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Sony will not lower their price anytime soon. Considering that the PS3 outsold the PS2, PS, and X360 US Launch sales they are obviously doing something right. The software is thin right now, once the titles start coming out the hardware will move faster.

This is usually how it ends up,
    • Sony has production issues and can't make enough, they are lying
    • Sony sells out and they aren't on shelves, they are bad for not creating enough/creating false demand
    • Sony gets production right and retailers are receiving enough machines to fulfill stock, Sony is bad and no one wants it...
    Any way you look at it the spin is always negative to Sony.

The fact is that the US and Japanese launch of the PS3 was very successful for Sony, the European launch will be HUGE. There is no way Sony is lowering the price anytime before Q4 2008.

Look at the numbers, the PS3 at least in the US (Their target huge market) outsold 3 major consoles (Their Launch sales), its in demand, its selling, and just because you see them in stores doesn't mean anything more than Sony is doing what it intended to do, get them in the hands of consumers.

Ed

6. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

My prediction - Holiday season 09'

They'll probably start adding bundled stuff like games instead of lowerin' the price. I believe Sony is hoping for an even longer life-span than the PS2 has. It's a top notch piece of machinery.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sony will not be lowering the price of the PS3 for a very long time. in USD for simplicity? That's not simple for me. GBP is simple for me. I see a nice drop to 400 maybe 6-12 months after launch. 30GBP isn't much but that's normally how much they drop by, or just start bundling extras with it.

ps. Ed H. I respect you. But your avatars to try and gain some ground on the fanboy front is pathetic. I miss that suave guy you used to have :(

8. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I was going to say the same exact thing.

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Dino will be back :D (once i find the damn file)

I agree with your estimates on prices too.

Ed

10. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Oh yeah. Forgot about that.

11. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I meant 09' :D I edited it.

12. themanfromvlad thread starter macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

While this doesn't really count, EB Games is now giving $100 off a PS3 is you trade in a PS2. They sound desperate to sell them.

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Read all of the thread before you post, the PS3 outsold the US launch of 3 major consoles. No one is "desperate" to get rid of anything. the PS3 is selling just fine. What you are seeing is Sony actually doing what any company should do, keep the inventory of your retail outlets stocked.

Ed

14. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

OMG. That is not true. The wii has sold like 3 million units (not exact). Sony I don't think has shipped that many. Not all shipped units have even sold, unlike the Wii.

What are you smoking? :eek:
    I think Ed works for Sony.

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

R E A D the past posts BEFORE you post and make yourself look like an uninformed person that can't take the time to read a thread before posting. The PS3 outsold the PS2, PS1, and X360 US launch numbers, never once did i say Wii.

Also the Wii sold nowhere near 3 million in the US Launch.

Ed

16. themanfromvlad thread starter macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

Ed, with all due respect, I don't think you are seeing the big picture. Have you been the Electronics section on Craigslist lately? It's filled with PS3s that scalpers bought and now can't sell. Since you're big on sales figures, you probably also know how low the PS3 attach rate is. A majority of PS3 sales at launch were for scalping purposes only.

I work for Best Buy, I know we are certainly desperate to sell them. Ten percent of the PS3 sold at my store in December have been returned. EB games was offering $50 for a used PS2 last month. Now, they're offering a $100 credit for it if you'll take a PS3. Maybe desperate is too strong a word (maybe), but there is no arguing that the PS3 is not selling well now, regardless of how "well" the launch went.

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

499.99, March 2008

Hopefully people will stop beating a dead horse soon and wait a while before they declare the PS3 dead....

18. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Sad, but that's probably true. Heck, Sony won't allow me to justify getting a PS2 because they won't make it 99.99. :rolleyes:

Lol. Tight aren't they?

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I disagree, thats your opinion not a fact. The problem is more perception than it is anything else. Look at my past post, replace the word Sony with whoever the market leader is for whatever product you are talking about.

BTW, its still technically in the "launch" phase until mid January.

Sony is doing a good job of keeping retailers stocked, shame on them :rolleyes:

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I almost bought a PS2 a bit ago. I've said before, but I missed out on RPGs and some fighters. Might get one still. But they *still* want £99.99 ($193) for it! what ****ing planet are they on? The Cube is £30, the Xbox... christ knows. Still. I suppose they're last out of the gate here making the PS2 Sony's newest home console here.

£49.99 and I'd buy one. Slim or not. Colour regardless (not Pink)

21. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

No offence, but you are the tight one. It's 30$. Its one game. Just buy it and have fun. $30 isn't going to break the bank if you can already afford a Wii and all that jazz.

On a side note, I notice that everyone who has the "wii number" in their sigs are the one's whi think the PS3 is gonna die within a year.....

22. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I know. I'm cheap. ;) But I'm a college student and I saved and saved during the school year so I could buy a Wii... :D

I don't think the playstation will die. Not possible. I think it won't have complete dominance like it did last generation. It'll be even between 360 and ps3 with the Wii filling in all the gaps.

23. adamyoshida macrumors regular

The 360 will see a referesh or a price cut first.

24. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'd like to see that this year. I'm presuming they will this holiday session to combat PSWii. Nintendo and Sony will have a decent library hopefully by the end of the year.

25. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I'm not in the least bit a Playstation enthusiast, but in all fairness, I think it's near impossible for us to see a dead PS3. I don't think it's going to be the gaming overlord it was last-run (let's be honest, Wii and Xbox 360 are a hell of a lot cooler than their older siblings) but it will do well. I think the reason we're all saying the PS3 is "dead" is because it's not sweeping the gaming market. It has quite a name to live up to, and we're just presuming it's dead because it's actually meeting competition this time. Sony has done well with the their gaming console line. Hell, only in the last year or so have they stopped manufacturing the original PS! 11 years after launch date I do believe.

P.S.
    I'm not a Sony/PS fanboy. I don't even own one.