The Official Signature Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by mad jew, Jun 3, 2005.

1. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've been thinking for some time that we really should have a thread dedicated to those little captions down the bottom of each post, so here goes.

The idea of this thread is for members to be able to comment on both specific signatures of other members as well as general qualms and interests relating to more general signature phenomenon, such as size and content etc.

I'll start by stating my pet signature hate: those precocious and annoyingly large eye-catching signatures that detract from the post by being waaaay too massive for their own good. I prefer the simple ones personally. :D

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Agreed - any signature that it is longer than the average post-length of the user is highly annoying. 2-3 lines should be enough - I'm here to read your posts, not see a lengthy signature appear multiple times in a thread.

Equally, while I appreciate that it's useful if you put your Mac specs in your signature if you're asking for help, do we really need every single detail of them (particularly when they're the regular specs!)

3. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Good thread idea, mad_jew. I have been considering updating my sig. recently. I dunno, I kinda like having your computing/apple specs in the signature to see what everyone is using. When I first created my signature I thought the colors made it easier to read, but as time goes on, I'm not sure. Is it too distracting with the three different colors? Maybe I should just take the font size down a notch.

4. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

feakbeak, your colours are fine because they're not hella bright. Off topic, I can't believe I managed to get the word hella into a post.

5. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Ah... Arial font makes it a littler smaller. Much better! :)

Thanks for the feedback mad_jew.

Now I just need to get an avatar - only about 100 more posts to go. I like the anticipation, I'm probably going to be disappointed when I finally get to use one. :cool:

6. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Well - to start the whole "waht does your sig mean" bit...

"Ole Ole, Ole Ole, Junin-ho-o-o" is a reference to one of my favourite 'Boro players ever! :cool:

"Free Cornwall!" and "We're mini-me to your Dr Evil" are references to the Simpson's Christmas speech! Lisa said the first one (random, eh?) and the second one is Marge's reference to the Iraqi war. :eek:

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

So, do you think my signature is too big? I intentionally used smaller fonts, but if the majority still thinks it's too much, I'll reduce it.

8. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

a little rant...

Sigs with super specific system specs get to me. If somebody is answering a technical question for you, they can always look in your profile. I don't believe that it's necessary to display the fact that you have a PSP, 3g iPod, iPod shuffle, AUX-Pod, Motorola cordless phone, MX1000, Samsung TV, Ikea desk and a Linksys router. As proud as you are of these things, they have no bearing, and save no time on 90% of posts, ever.

9. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well Veldek, it is pretty large but it's not all that intrusive IMO.

Just out of interest, what does this mean?

10. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

These are my World of Warcraft characters. We had some threads about one's chars, so I decided to put them into my sig to always have them up-to-date.

11. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Kingsnapped, what are the interconnects and why did you return to them?

12. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I don't think your signature is obtrusive either, but it is a bit long. Maybe you could put your WOW character stats in your profile and just have a one-line statement with a link to your profile for those that wish to see your up-to-date character stats. Just an idea. I would think only a small percentage of MR posters would be interested in this information.

13. Davito macrumors member

I find it a bit disturbing that some people have political statements in their signatures, although lately there don't seem to be too many of them. (I remember stuff like 'vote Bush 2004' though). As a statement, this would clearly belong to the political discussions section, but as a signature, it seems to be okay everywhere around the forums...

14. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

I will add a fun signature only when I can have an Avatar. Until then, I'm going Amish. And at this rate, it'll be another year.

15. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

16. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I shortened this info and put it into one line. I hope that makes it a bit better.

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Didn't the mods ban political sigs (or at least tone them down) during the US election? I seem to remember some political sigs starting to get a little OTT...

18. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Most people cannot spell "definitely" properly, that's why I added it to my sig. I would put a "there, their, they're" explanation too, but it would take up too much space.

The windows bit should be self-explanitory.

The Newton bit is an old Newton joke I found on Wikipedia. You'll only understand it if you've used Newton OS 1.0 (it had terrible HWR.) I'm an avid Newton user. ;)

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Hehe, too funny. :D Everyone should do that for a while, maybe we could eradicate those two...

As to the original topic:
    I usually dislike anything over 3 lines, but some are just plain funny. Whereas your Mac stats are NOT. :p

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

A lot of people have trouble with 'explanatory' as well. ;)

21. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

First line is question from stupid PC users... ;)
    Second line is there till I get Tiger, still with 10.3.9 (Actually my mac has been 2 weeks away) :( .

22. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Y'know, none of the signatures really bother me. Long, short, I've learned to just skim right past them. Occasionally I'll read them, but for the most part they just help signal who wrote what. They're like markers to help me get through a thread.

23. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I don't think it's too long, at least not your current one. I guess it used to be longer/bigger?

---

The quote on the first line in my sig is from the best game series. Ever. :D

Think I'll remove my Macs from my sig. Doesn't really matter. I've still been accused of being PC centric, so whatever. :p

24. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

erm yes, I knew that.

Guess my signature will have to be 4 lines now :rolleyes:

25. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I personally love 5300cs's reminder. I used to have heaps of trouble with definitely but not when you're online. Of course, since I've been told how to activate Safari's spellchecker, it doesn't really matter anymore.

Generally, if wordmunger is online I'll check out the cognitive daily link if I've got a bit of time.