The Official "What I Gave for Christmas 2005" Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OutThere, Dec 24, 2005.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Let's try not to be too materialistic here. :D

I myself gave lots of chocolate to all of my friends and relatives, being that up until 2 days ago I was in Switzerland, and, I assure you, you haven't tasted chocolate until you've tasted real Swiss chocolate - that is from small shops in Switzerland, not Nestlé etc. For the record I'm a dual citizen, which can help on occasion with customs pass-throughs containing 20+ pounds of chocolate. :p

Merry Christmas!
  2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Gave the woman a pair of small diamond stud earrings.

All I want from life is poetry. All she wants from life is diamonds.

She's happy.
  3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    Gave my sister peace of mind (paid a few of her bills for her).
    Gave my mom a dress.

From the length of this thread compared to the other one, seems like not many people are givers.
  4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I gave my brother "Meet the Fockers", and two books: Iraq War and Red White and Liberal.

My dad got "Catch me if you can", and two books: American Evita (Hilary's Rise to Power) and How Bioengineering will Kill us all

My mom got "the pianist" and a really nice looking pin.

I got my nephew a board game with trains and addition and math and learning.

My friends got some spinners, a homemade cookie bouquet, some cute underwear, soap, a make your own dog treats kit, a belt, a board game ("uh-nuh! Oh no he di'int!!" it's a fun game.. hehe), some hair clips, some metallic satin boxers, a napoleon dynamite flip book (the dancing scene!!), and lots of homemade cookies and brownies.
    The one that got the spinners and the board game has a birthday on the 12th of December, so she gets big presents :p.

I went kinda nuts this year because I got paid $105 for a focus group... Which I was planning on using to a trip to chicago, but I just kept seeing stuff and thinking "OMG! that is so perfect for ____"
    Bla.. I need to get a job.

Edited to add:
    (in all caps)
  5. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Dad got some accessories for his 5th gen iPod
    Mommy got a nice print of an orchid
    Family gets a little gold wreath ornament
    Sister gets a purse and the original "Italian Job" DVD
    Boyfriend gets two Jack Daniels t shirts, a couple of DVDs, a pair of heels (I'm wearing them for him :p)
    Cats are gonna get some treats
  6. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Huge blanket with picture of dalmatian puppies for my sister. (They're sooo cuuuute!)
    Leather purse and some angel figurines for my mother.
    Big shirt and some some screwdriver accessories for my father.
  7. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    I gave my father a watch winder (for an old automatic watch). Then I gave my mother a mac mini with a 19inch off brand LCD. My one cousin to buy for got a couple history books (he's a history teacher in a HS).

Does anybody else hate gift cards? I think they're so inpersonal and take all of the thought out of gift buying.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    A combination of wooden giraffes, rice makers and clothing pretty much. :)
  9. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    I think they're fine. Maybe a little impersonal, but some people are hard to buy gifts to. Heck, I got cash for christmas :p (not that I mind. This year, that's rather thoughtful, since it's eternally more useful to me than any kind of expensive gizmo or whatever I'd normally like).

That said, I probably whouldn't give it [gift card] myself, and I never have.
  10. CompUser Guest

Mom: 2 sweaters picked out by my sister from me and some and a polish pottery dish from me and my sister.

Dad: Leave it to Beaver Season complete season 1 and a shirt

Sister: SNL Jimmy Fallon, Office Space DVD boxed gift set (includes stapler, mousepad, etc), and gloves and a scarf from the gap

Dog: Candy Cane shaped bone, patriotic collar, and Snausages :)))
    My mom is getting my dad an air compresser and my dad is got my mom a diamond bracelet.
  11. Militar macrumors member

Jul 4, 2005
    I like gift cards. Sometimes I like to buy what I want and not have to take gifts I don't like. It the thoughts that counts.
  12. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Wife: perfume and a big makeup kit that came with it, she also got my 4g iPod hand-me-down

Daughter (12): pink bed in a box, earrings, makeup, MP3/CD player (not ready to give her a 'Pod yet), guitar lesson book

Son (6): guitar, drum, guitar lesson book - he wants any instrument he can get his hands on

Mom: terrarium of flesh-eating plants, two John Denver CDs

Brother 1: Pat Metheny DVD, Billy Vera and the Beaters CD

Brother 2: same terrarium as mom

Brother 2's wife: Dragonology (book)

Dad: uh, oops!
  13. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    This year I gave...

My Dad:
    I had the idea for ,y mother bought him 2 tickets to see Martina McBride (he's huge fan) and I got him her Christmas CD and her new one to go with them. I wanted to buy the tickets but my mother wouldn't let me spend the money.

My Mother:
    I am making her a web site (faculty web site for Clayton State Uni)

My Brother:
    I got him two books. 1) A book of poetry by e.e. cummings 2) A book by Nietchze ...probably spelled that wrong. I'm also giving him a clock shaped like a toilet seat -- a Christmas present I forgot to give him one year.

My Grandmother:
    I got her a hardback novel I think she'd like...and it's signed (to her) by the author

My Aunt:
    A chocolate fondue set...yes from Books a Million (she likes to cook)

My Friends:
    Most of my friends got gift certificates to Books a Million. For one of my best friends, I got him an autographed picture of two of the actors from the Harry Potter films (the Weasley twins). He's a HUGE Harry Potter fan (posters in the room, the works) and the picture says "To 'friend's name'" so it's kind of special.
  14. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Mom - Jimmy Carter's new book
    Dad - Season 1 DVD set of Beavis and Butthead
    Sis - some CD the kids like these days, and a gift card
    Girl - earrings and pendant (thank God she's not into diamonds... yet)
    Me - Ducktales DVD's!
  15. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Mom: Sleepless in Seattle (DVD), Notre Dame Sweatshirt

Dad: Lost, 1st season

Brother 1: Some nice sony headphones

Brother 2: Airplane (DVD)

Aunts, Uncles, Gma, Gpa, etc: Homemade, yearly calendars from photos that we have taken this year... and this year we actually put some money into and bought photo paper, it looks soooooo good. :)
  16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Mom and step-father - Tickets to Jersey Boys (was able to get 7th row center on the aisle tix) and a Tivo.

Niece - Gold ring with her name on it; some frilly, girly, fuzzy sweater; bicycle

Nephew - Spiderman fuzzy kids rocking chair, Electric car racing set, Spiderman bike

Girlfriend - diamond stud ear rings and a white 2GB Nano.

Brother - A thank you for finally paying me back the $5,000 he borrowed in June.
  17. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2005
    Mom- Touched by an Angel Season 2
    Dad- $40 itunes cards to be used only when he gets his ipod Video.
    Brother- Assault on precinct 13 and World of Warcraft Atlas
    Friend- 2 Tool Lateralus Singles w/ DVD features
  18. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002

HAHAHAHAA, tell him the interest would have purchased his gift ... but ya know ...
  19. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    Brother 1 - 3 CDs and the first season of Nip/Tuck

Brother 2 - Sony MDR-51s and The 40 Year Old Virgin

Mom - Perfume and a Fleetwood Mac CD

Dad - A Titleist Vokey lob wedge
  20. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Oo.. I remembered something else:
    I gave my parents lots of grey hair, but that's a year-round thing.. :p
    (that's also what I gave my orchestra director... he's also getting spinners!)
  21. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
  22. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    toronto canada
    for my crush - diamond necklace (SERIOUS OVERKILL I KNOW)
    mom - bon jovi tickets
    dad - queen tickets
    brother - ipod nano
  23. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    For my brothers (various ages) - The Art of Revenge of the Sith book, $15 iTunes gift card, Lego set, new alarm clock
    Dad - Enya - Amarantine
    For Mom - helped Dad buy a big new couch for the living room

I don't too much like giving gift certificates, but I don't mind getting them at all. Especially to the Apple Store :). My mom wouldn't have a clue what to buy for me at the Apple Store, but she knows that I'd like something from there, so she got me a gift card. Now I get to decide whether I want a new iPod, a new Mac, or something else, but whatever it is, it'll be Apple, and it'll be from my mom. That doesn't seem impersonal to me. iTunes gift cards are also good. Giving music, but not specific songs that the recipient may or may not like seems good to me.
  24. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    For my stepmother a CD by Johanna Kunin who played at the University's Underground Coffeehouse. And a Snoopy card.

Dad got a Graphic Novel Voyage Into The Deep by Francois Riviere and Serge Micheli. Based on the Saga of Jules Verne and Captain Nemo.

For their Stocking stuffers each got a French Fold book that I made.
  25. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    Sister: Two series of Friends DVDs and a £10 gift voucher, (wasn't sure which CDs to get her)

Sister's Fiancé: Thud! by Terry Pratchett

Mam: Oliver Reed T-shirt, (I'm sure they sent me the wrong one, but they're all good and she's happy with it), DVD boxset of Rising Damp

Dad: Couple of W.A.S.P CDs, book on the crusades, Scorpions CD

Mam and Dad: Panasonic DVD Recorder, (on offer at £129,50 at work, they seem almost stunned at the record quality at a standard two hours on a disc and the ease of use)