The Official "What Is Going To Be Released At WWDC" Thread

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Macmaniac, May 15, 2005.

1. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Its that time again, let the official predictions for the Stevenote begin.
    Try to be as accurate as possible so someone can be the prediction winner.

2. macrumors 65816

James Philp

Oh NO! I've only just gotten over Tiger release/buildup!

3. macrumors G3

puckhead193

i'll be the first, powerbook G5!!!! :p ;)

4. macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

And a free sample of the cream that makes the 3rd degree burns go away!

5. macrumors G3

New Airport Express base station.
    with video-out?

(mm... watching crap from my powerbook on the TV. Torrents of seinfeld episodes, here I come!)

6. macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Defintally an explination why there are no G5 laptops.... or are there ;)

edit: and a new iSight with HD capabilities. ;)

7. macrumors G3

no, you've got it all wrong!
    They give you the computer for free, and then sell you the burn cream for $100 an ounce.
    Marketing genius!

/stupid

:D

8. macrumors member

oriol

new 10.5 OS X , new ibooks with the same specs as the today's powerbooks, powerbook G5, let me think wut im forgetting? oh a mac mini G5. :rolleyes:

9. macrumors 6502

Yeah, WWDC this year really is a big fat question mark. The G5s were just updated (kind of), the displays just had a price drop, and Tiger JUST came out. What can they talk about? Unless... No. But maybe.... No. G5 Power.... Oh why even bother?
    Yeah, so I'm actually curious as to what comes up for the hour Steve has to fill (is it an hour?). Will there be mention of X.5?
    I'm also wondering if anything (new Airports) will come at All Things Digital next week. Hope so. When does that iTunes Airport promotion end?

EDIT: The promotion ends the 23rd. Just checked. And All Things Digital starts on the 22nd? Hmmm, coincidence? ATD IS where AE 1 was revealed, wasn't it?

10. macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs wobbling head doll, or are they already out???

11. macrumors 6502

Maybe a sedative for the PBG5 hopefuls? Possibly also one for those still complaining about the 3GHz deal. ;)

12. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I reckon they'll drop the standard 20GB iPod and have an all-photo range, renaming it back to the standard iPod though. Something with 80GB would be nice too.

Computer-wise, how about a PowerBook speed bump to just under 1.9GHz and standard 512MB of RAM across the entire Apple line up. There are far too many switchers who don't realise that 256MB is simply not enough. They're sitting there, thinking Macs are slow when in fact it's just a RAM issue. :(

13. macrumors 6502a

Updated mac mini, 1.5 and 1.67 with 64vram card
    Redesigned iBook (only widescreen 13” w/ color cases)
    Updated HD 17" pbook
    Airport Express with video support
    iTunes 5.0 with video support and ACC+
    Shuffles in multi colors

Apple + Sony + TiVo = One more thing

This fall is the time for redesigned pbooks, 80gb wireless video ipods, 10gb ipod minis and new multi-core pmacs over 3ghz.

14. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

iPod Maxi.
    25% more absorbent.

15. macrumors 604

ravenvii

I noticed they never introduced new iPods or consumer Macs at WWDC. It's not the place for them either. Expect updates related to technologies (AirPort), programs (OS and professional application related things, probably not brand new versions as they all were introduced recently) and the Power line (PowerBooks and PowerMacs) and possibly displays. And possibly completely new products. But no iPods, iMacs, or anything with an "i" before it in WWDC. Wait for MacWorld Paris for those :)

16. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Likely: iBook update (or did they just update them... I don't keep track of iBook updates very well)
    Possible: announcement of date (eg Q1 2006) for G5 PowerBook launch, preview of next-generation Xcode Tools, Mac mini update.
    Unlikely: OS X 10.5 preview, actual G5 PB announcement, PowerMac update to 3.0 GHz or announcement of Dual-Core G5.

17. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's a pretty good point. I retract the iPod thing. However, I still reckon they might upgrade the standard RAM on anything around WWDC time. At least, I hope they do. Whether or not they actually announce it and make a song and dance about it at a developer's conference is another thing.

18. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

19. macrumors member

My predictions:

- New Airport and/or Airport Express (possibly using MIMO or pre-802.11n technology?)
    - Updated iBooks (faster processors, Superdrive option across the line, 512 MB RAM standard, OS X Tiger)
    - Updated XServe G5s
    - iTunes 5.0
    - iSight HD
    - Updated Apple displays (new low-end 17" and high-end 36" models)
    - Unveiling of "Asteroid" breakout box
    - New Pro app
    - A surprise in the form of a new piece of hardware (Apple Tablet/Palmtop Computer)

It's a little preposterous to believe that ALL of these will be announced at WWDC, but I'm willing to bet at least 3 of them are.

20. macrumors 603

aswitcher

Mmm...Mac Major - G5 Mac mini for developers ;)

New iBooks sometime soon...no suprises unless they go iPod mini colours...

I doubt a new PB until they either go G5 or HD...

AE Vid...how much I wonder...and will it work fine with my PB???

2 Gig iPod Shuffle?

17" Apple screen, and 20", now in HD! Tilt?

21. macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i think they are going to release a special edition rubix cube to keep all those PB G5 maniacs busy for another year until they are released :p

22. macrumors regular

i've said it before, i'm gonna say it again:

Powerbook G5!

or else the powerbook is just a big rip off compared to its cheaper cousin the ibook. the only difference is faster processor (presently), more hard drive space, a better video card, firewire 800, mini dvi, pc card.

i mean apple doesn't even list the bus speed anymore on the powerbook. 167 mhz is not a good thing right now, especially with tiger on the prowl.

G5 is a must for the Powerbook line at this point or they should just can the entire line until they can put a G5 in one. what's the point?

23. macrumors G3

puckhead193

A free sample, they better give that stuff away like water. Or they can sell it, apple already has gotten in the clothing business (ipod socks) why not the pharmaceutical. Apple's own cream for burns. "Exclusively designed for burns caused by the powerbook G5" :rolleyes:

24. macrumors regular

Just ... an updated iBook. Please.

And why on Earth is black not an available iPod mini color? Isn't black ... popular?

25. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I guess so that Apple could charge a premium for the U2 iPod. This could all change when the latter is dropped though.