The Olympics: I don't even care!

Discussion in 'Community' started by themadchemist, Aug 15, 2004.

1. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Is it just me or does anyone else really not care how many medals Phelps wins or how many Central Europeans we shame in basketball?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't really care either, but in the minds of many it is a real reflection of a country's worth.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....count me in as someone that does not care about the olympics. Far too much cheating (drugs) and corruption (judging) to make any of it really mean anything....oh yeah!

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

To me each new Olympics has seemed less significant. I wonder if that is how it is for the rest of the world too? Maybe the Olympics is just past its time

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Chalk me up as another one who doesn't care. That's not to say I won't watch (though I haven't yet). But I won't go out of my way to watch, and I enjoy seeing good performances, regardless of nationality. I tend to root for athletes from smaller countries.

6. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Hmm...Yeah, I'm sorry, but I think this is flawed thinking. I personally put more stock in a nation's scientists and scholars than I do in their athletes.

While I guess I see the symbolic importance athletes have had to countries, I just think that praising mental over physical performance would encourage young people to make intellectuals their role models. Not only would that promote a more educated society, but it would also help kids shoot for more reasonable goals: It's easier to become a doctor or a researcher than it is to become a world-class athlete. Of course, this will never happen; society has always celebrated athleticism over intellect.

Anyway, even the honor and grandeur of the Olympics is tainted by all of the performance-enhancement. It's not as much about hard work anymore as it is about trying to get an upper hand any way possible.

But why say "anymore?" I was reading an article about the ancient Olympics and how Greece tried to use them to keep the newly-united city-states cohesive. Instead of promoting friendly participation and national love, the Olympics undermined the weak federalism of Greece, inspiring enmity, fierce competition, and unhealthy nationalism on the part of each nation-state. They might not have had performance-ehancing drugs, but they did whatever they could to cheat and win. Thus, the Olympics have a heritage not of fellowship, but of cut-throat competition...That made me wonder about how useful the games really are in creating an environment for world peace and joy and all of the usual rhetoric.

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

The so-called Dream Team seems to be in bad shape. After the almost-loss against Germany before the Olympics, now the loss against Puerto Rico. Does this make it more interesting for you?

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Oh wow.. I'm glad I'm not on the dream team this year lol

9. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

True, true...That does make it a little more interesting. But I don't know, the Olympic games seem more interesting and important when there's nothing else going on. What with the election and the war it doesn't seem as signficant. Of course, having just had the MCAT has also made things pale in comparison.

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Specifically how much of each goes on?

Now, I watch a lot less television than I did 3 years ago, and I am not a sports fan anywhere as much as I used to be, so I also don't care about the Olympics. My point is: I'm not caring about it not because it's the Olympics, but because I'm not enough of a sports fan to watch too many sports of any sort. I have more important things to worry about. (goes back to figuring out how a hypercube is rotated in 4D when viewed along different axies)

11. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I will be following it somewhat.

The Olympics are the best of the best, the worlds greatest athletes, competing against each-other, to see who is the best. To me that means something.

But normally, I hate watching sports (high school football for example); just too boring.

But I also agree with Duff-Man, there needs to be more strict regulations, and less corrupt people.

12. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

themadchemist:

I think it's important that mental and athletic prowess be celebrated and rewarded in equally great measure.

13. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Personally I still think its quite significant, but not on a country by country basis.

What the olympics are showing is the abilities of man to keep on achieving, no matter what the competition. Just look at Thorpe and Phelps in the pool who keep blasting records down left and right. If you would have watched the opening ceremony, you would have seen this human streak running completely through it.

The olympics is less about world competition and more about bringing the world back together. It's a model for what we should be doing, competiting in sport rather than with missiles.

As for drug cheating, I would say there is next to none these days. The tests are just that good and the rules that strict.

14. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I find them fascinating. Perhaps because I am non-athtletic. I don't understand how people can make their bodies do those things :eek:

I watched a few laps of men's swimming. They have gone from speedos and TMI to these cool things that look like bicycle shorts.

I don't particularly care how many medals the US gets.

I would like to see how the countries who sent less than 10 athletes do. It would be exciting to see them win something.

15. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

What I like about the Olimpics is to see that there are new countries with even less of 30.000 people as population.

Besides, may be my country will winn a medal some day. :rolleyes:

16. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think the olympics have a good purpose, but recently, it's been shrouded by corruption and drug use. The olympics allows athletes to show what they're truly made of, and prove who's the best, but it also gives young aspiring athletes role models to look up to. Kids will see it, and say "I want to be that guy", and they'll get off the couch, and actually go out and exercise, and do something that makes them feel good. Scientists have their share of good achievements, but they can't motivate kids to get off the couch or away from the computer, and go outside and do something active. We need to get rid of the notion that you can stay healthy, and fit by getting tummy tucks, and taking pills. If children see this, instead of athletes who have actually worked to get to where they are, they'll think they don't need to exercise or work out, and we'll just have a whole new generation of lazy kids.

The olympics have their purpose, it's just that we need to remember what they're really for.

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i love the olympics, though i wish that only amateurs could compete. the drug use and such is not as rampant as the media would like everyone to believe, and i'm excited to see countries like the US take a stand against drug use.

for every one of the kids (and adults) participating, it represents a culmination of all their hard work and dedication. you have to respect that. i think its wonderful to watch how happy they are when they win.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's hard to stop. I have lost interest for the same reasons, and even with the scandals and all these people getting caught, I'm sure there are lots of athletes who probably DON'T get caught. So its not a matter of who took performance enhancing drugs, its just a matter of whether they got caught or not. :eek:

And the "Dream Team".....does anybody else think that no nation should be allowed to send professional athletes to the Olympics? Why are some sports like basketball filled with pro athletes? It was never really about the pro athletes. Otherwise you'd see Lennox Lewis fight for Britain, and Tyson fight for the US in boxing, right? I don't know....it doesn't seem right. With figure skating, no professionals are allowed to enter once they start taking money for gigs, which is why Elvis Stojko will no longer be able to go to the Winter Olympics, and yet with Hockey, pro NHLers are allowed to play for their country. Its nice, but allowing pro basketball and hockey players to play in the Olympics is probably to cater to North Americans who would get bored if they had never heard of the names. :rolleyes:

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

yeah well with all the doping and cheating and not-disinterested judging, bah!

the winter olympics > the summer olympics. the ones in the winter just have a different feel to it, almost like the summer olympics did years ago. now the summer olympics are just bleh. Except for some of the more (cant think of right word/phrase...something along the lines of esoteric) sports like taekwondo and handball. :p
    in other news, maybe more people would attend and/or watch the olympics if this worked, hehe:
    http://pokerinathens.org/

20. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I couldn't agree more.

It's probably partially because for most of it, the winter olympics are less-ordinary activities. And I think they are in general more interesting ones too...

21. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

From a US perspective, the Olympics is much like any other "professional" sport. It is all about the money and the technology and drugs. Swimsuits that require 20 minutes to put on. My lover was a a swimming alternate in 1976, all he had was a razor and Nair in order to gain the edge (he hates drugs of any sort).

He and I differ on whether it should the athlete or the science. He would have welcomed the science of today, if it were available back in 1976. For me it should be about the individual or the team, without science playing a part.

He and I agree that it is all about the money today.

23. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

I agree with you abstract. No professionals. Too much corporate influence when people have been playing for money. Its not fair that a lot of the people who win medals dont get financially rewarded later on but professionals can go back to their multi-million dollar paychecks.

Not only that, but it gives countries with less resources a bit better of a chance to compete without knowing the larger countries have full-time atheletes going against them. We need to level the playing field somehow.

24. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Agreed. I was disappointed to see pro-basketball players on the US team. Well, they got beat this year.

25. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Why I watch...

I watch the olympics with my friends sometimes, and the reason we watch is because:
    a) We're sports fans, and the olympics is... well... chok-full of sports
    b) It's kinda cool to say "woo hoo! USA just kicked <insert country here>'s behind! I win you lose!"

Guess we're just competitive dudes :D