The one thing about Expose that really annoys me - Hope its fixed in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joejoejoe, Apr 1, 2007.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

I really wish that when I go to all windows mode, I could close the windows I'm looking at right then and there (like in Dashboard)

It would make cleaning up the desktop soooo much quicker and easier, instead of having to go one by one to each application and closing the documents, convos, photos etc that you're done with.

Just imagine, going to all windows, clicking on app windows one by one and watching them go poof!

2. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

it would be nice, BUT if you did that you would have to make a new way to go to the window that you select instead of clicking on that window.

I like to use :apple: - W and :apple: - Q to close windows or applications

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It could be done like dashboard, with the x in the corner to close it - it would take some tweaking and I think I oversimplified what I mean by it but it would be nice.

4. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

i see what you mean, if it was something like that i think it would be convenient.

5. povman macrumors member

Did you know about this feature:
    Press Command-Tab and hold Command. Press tab until you get to the application you want to close. Press q (still holding command). The tabber stays so you can close heaps of apps at a time.

One time I opened /Applications in finder, Command-A, Command-O. It took a while. Then Command-(Tab,Q,Tab,Q,Tab,Q,Tab,Q,Tab,Q,Tab,Q,Tab,Q,etc)

fun.

6. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

povman, thanks for the info.

Having this feature (OP's idea) isn't bad, too.

I usually use Cmd-Q & Cmd-W.

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i'm the same; once you get used to the keyboard shortcuts, you almost start to wonder what the little blob of plastic next to the keyboard is used for :rolleyes:

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This feature would indeed be handy. The way I'd implement it is just like how you close Dashboard widgets: hold down Option, mouse over the window to close, and click the little X. Poof! No more window.

9. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

10. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

they could just become a popup... or those windows wouldn't be allowed to be closed.. i dunno

it could be something that could work exactly the way closing windows would normally, except everythign is just spaced out so you could do it quicker and clean up your desktop a whole lote faster

11. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Did you try using: " Apple+` ", and: " Apple+Shift+` " ?

These keypresses cycle through the windows in the current application (without having to invoke expose). You can then quickly close each one with: " Apple+W ".

12. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Before i switched to mac i almost never used keyboard shortcuts, now i use so many, and i try to learn them, :apple: - W, and :apple: - Q are really helpful keyboard shorcuts

13. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

While not annoying, I do see some situations where this could be a helpful feature. I've never thought of this before - Good idea.