The one thing about OS X that SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reykjavik, Oct 16, 2004.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

When copying a large amount of files, if one file ever throws it off, the copying just stops. ends. thats it. Not only do you nnot know where to locate the problem file, but you also have no idea how much copying was done, what the last file that was copied or ANYTHING! It just gives you an error message and when you click ok, it stops. Worst thing about Mac ever! This one specific issue has given me so many problems over the years with mac. Does anyone know any way around this? Is there a unix command of some sort?

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Well does windows does it differently?
    anyways, unix command is cp
    cp /path/you/want/*.mov .

will copy all .mov files in the current directory keeping same name.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

To compare a source and (failed) target?

man diff

To copy files?

man ditto (for the "-rsrcFork" flag)

4. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

But what if its like 5000 different file types?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I do NOT recommend using cp, as it will obliterate any resource forks you have, only use cp if you KNOW that your file(s) don't have resource forks.

6. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

idunno.....I remember once having this same problem and I used a command code like that and I got the same error message.

7. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

dude, i dont even know what the hell a fork is...

8. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

You can think of a file in OS X as a sandwich (Sort of)...

Data Fork
    ------------- = File
    Resource Fork

The resource fork will contain such things as icons and resource and creator codes. Since this is a Mac only thing, the Unix utilities that come with this do not respect the information contained within the resource fork (Although this should be a non-issue in Tiger according to Apple). It's kind of like making the duplicate of a sandwich and forgetting to add the mayo.

9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I haven't had that problem, everytime I copy files over and one is corrupt, it says "Continue...?" and I click OK and then it copies the other files over.

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

If you have lots of files that you need to copy, you could always use rsync. It seems to be much more reliable than the normal methods. It's slightly more complicated to use though.

Search for "Rsync X" on Versiontracker for a nice GUI.

(Disclamer: I don't know how rsync deal with resource forks. I've only used it to copy lots and lots of music to and from my FAT32 formatted portable player, where that is of no importance).

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If one of your files (or target disk) is corrupt, then no amount of Finder or command line copying is going to function properly.

13. jestershinra macrumors regular

I don't know if you're comparing this to Windows, but...

It's not really that simple on Windows. The only easy way to do this is xcopy, which is command-line, and requires knowledge of the switches. And corrupt files can sometimes hang xcopy too, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. AFAIK, copying groups of files when one is corrupted is always risky and usually problematic...