The one thing I miss from IE and FireFox...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Benjamindaines, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I really miss the option to open a file when downloading. I don't mean have it download and then open automatically, I mean when the download window comes up you click "run" and the application or what ever is downloaded to a temp folder and started automatically, then erased when you log out or restart.

Just something I miss. And yes I know I could download FF for the Mac, but I really like Safari.

2. skwij macrumors 6502

I think that option has been disabled in Firefox v2.0 and newer, regardless of platform.

Just too easy to run something nasty (not that it affects Macs, but hey, we're in the minority ;) ).

3. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

I don't know what you mean by "run," but you can right-click on your download in the download-manager and choose to open the file. Generally, I find that Safari unzips my downloads automatically and gives me a prompt whether to open dmg-files as well. But I'm not sure whether I set it that way or it's a webkit-feature.

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

You have the option to 'open' in the download box in Firefox. It will make a program run or expand or whatever. Is this what you mean?

View attachment 71005

5. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

this doesn't really stop the user from running something nasty but at least it is not as easy :D

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i believe what you're describing is a Window's feature, not an IE or Firefox feature.

although i personally don't think its much of a feature, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. :)