The only game I'd want to play on a MB... Halo. Any chance?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mattcube64, May 22, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I'm not much of a computer gamer, I have an old PC and whatnot. I prefer console games, and that is where I spend 99% of my gaming time. However, if I were to buy a MB, I'd want something to play. Specifically, Halo. Now, I don't expect it to run amazing or anything, but if it's playable around 20-25 FPS on medium settings, I'd be estatic. Any chance.

I know everyone asks for opinions on different games, but Halo is an older title, but I know is still quite demanding. Any oppinions appreciated.

2. macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

I think the MB has a VRAM of 64 megs which should be fine for Halo. I used to play this game on my PB G4 1ghz with 64 megs and it ran OK but not great.

3. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The MacBook's intel integrated graphics have 64 MB of shared system memory.

4. macrumors G4

dmw007

You should be able to play Halo okay on the MacBook. I doubt you will get the absolute best performance, but game play should be at least enjoyable.

5. macrumors 6502a

fblack

hmmm...maybe

I first started playing halo on my dell inspiron w/integrated graphics--you could play decent frame rates, but you lost alot of detail and get this players didn't have colors. Thats right it wasnt red v.s. blue it was mostly grey on grey!:eek:

Its funny when i think about it now, but you could not tell anyone apart--unless they were shooting at you. Thankfully I moved to a new machine.

So its playable, and since this is a newer intel chip you may not run into the problems I had. Just make sure you got plenty of Ram.

6. macrumors member

I played it on a wintel machine with 1.25 gig ram with 64 shared video. I just lowered all the glossy armor settings and whatnot and it played really smoothly. The graphics weren't stellar, but overall gameplay was great!

I think you should be fine.

7. macrumors 6502a

jamesi

you will prolly be able to play it fine on the lowest settings. turn everything down all the way and you should be good

8. macrumors 6502

RollTide

My friend and I were messing around with his new macbook (2 Ghz 1.5 gb ram) and Rise of nations was great even under rosetta, and Halo worked good also But like many said just turn settings down a little bit.

9. macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I play Halo on a 12" PB with 1.5GHz G4 and it runs great. Doom 3 actually runs great on my PB. I guess I've got a special machine.

Daniel.

10. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

PB had an actual GPU (12" had the 5200Go, if I recall). The MB has integrated Intel graphics, which is pretty much teh suck for gaming.

11. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Master Chief is my homeboy. :D

It should run fine as long as you bump down some of the settings.

12. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, it shouldn't be too bad, it is 2 1/2 years old now. Once the universal version comes out, it'll be even better :)

13. macrumors 65816

or he could play on windows.

14. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i run Halo on:

Pixel + vertex shading on (detail objects)
    no FSAA
    low lens flare
    model detail high

1024x640
    30FPS
    no specular
    no shadows
    decals on
    particles high
    texture quality high

sound quality medium
    sound variety medium

all on a baseline MacBook (1.83, 512MB) and it runs acceptably. But i still prefer it on my parent's MBP :p

15. macrumors 65816

yoda13

ahh, some real numbers and settings! Cool, thanks!!;)

16. macrumors 6502a

fblack

-Thanx for info that's not bad at all, alot more than I was able to get out of my dell laptop. He can probably run Call of Duty and Unitrd Offensive pretty well too.

17. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just posted my results from playing Sims 2 & RCT3 & Battlefield 2

MacBook with enough ram has no problem playing games. People need to get over themselves and experience it, rather than just assume.