the only problem with macs!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Wally, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Wally macrumors member

i had a random thought today while i was doing something on my new mac.... the problem with these computers is that there too good... theres nothing wrong with them to fix... you cant make them better... i know i must sound crazy... but im a recent switcher from pcs and i usually spent half my time defraging. spyware. viruses etc... i now have nothing to do! nothing... i just sit here and admire my computer..

sorry for the rant

alex

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Welcome to the brotherhood of the Mac

Enjoy the ride!

You will get over the initial shock and find that you can now be productive!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hey alex, if it would make you feel better, I'll drop by your house tonight and break something for you.... :rolleyes:

4. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

or you could always fire up your old PC with a clean install and without virus protection and watch it get infected in 10-15 mins for sentimental value and just sit back and reminisce about the good 'ole days. :D

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

So what Mac did you get Alex?

You can always rant about iBooks not getting upgraded or G5 Powerbooks :p

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Man, you guys really do offer expert, personal service! :D

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I miss trying to deal with DLL conflicts and malware....

NOT
    :)

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

At work I pass the time by dealing with MS Excel shutting down unexpectedly, IE crashing and rebooting XP...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

You could install Norton utilities. That would make your mac unstable and crash just like a PC. :p

10. El Phantasmo macrumors member

hey! newbie here... I just wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself to the brotherhood and give my short story about my switch.

Up until 7 months ago i was a pc-geek.. enjoying the time I spent fixing my computers... I just tought of it as a hobby... you know... fixing cars? try fixing computers!

But when I started using computers for something a bit more serious: Digital Photography, I didn't want to spend my time fixing them, but instead doing stuff with them. I also decided that I wanted a laptop computer for 'on the spot' photography, so I found out that iBooks were actually one of the best small-factor laptops. So this past january, I went ahead and bought the iBook on my signature. My experience with Mac OS X has been so cool that just two weeks ago I bought this iMac in part with the money I made out of selling my PC... ha!

I never tought this day would come but I can now safely state that I will never buy a Windows Computer ever again! :D

11. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Welcome Brother you have been saved, Hallelujah! You have seen the light! Yea though you have walked through the valley in the shadow of darkness!

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you really start to miss the good old days you can always register your e-mail on a whole bunch of pron sites, apply for a few home loans and natural
    health suppliments. At least that'll keep your mailboxes full for a while. :D

13. yklxcq macrumors member

yklxcq

You can sit here and use your VOICE to controls your Mac,e.g, you could ask your Mac"what time is it', then it would tell you the current time, or you say"get my mail" you mail application would lunch, there are many other command you can try.
    the most wonderful part of owning Mac is you would explore more functions as time goes on
    :p
    enjoy your Mac

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Apple ( command ) ++++
    Apple ( command ) ----
    Apple ( command ) ++++
    Apple ( command ) ----

Woo hoo! :D

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Did I miss something? You aren't slinging bags any more?

16. maxigalaxy macrumors member

maxigalaxy

17. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

you could always repair permisssions in disk utility....

SHadOW ;)

18. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I just want to say, I was reading your post and your right. I feel like I don't do enough with my mac other then surf, and normal stuff. But then again I troubleshoot broadband internet all day. 99% of my customers still use windows, and have so many problems. Macs don't have the problems, and it doesn't take as long to fix if they are having DHCP issues ect. Good job on finding the light!

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The only thing that is wrong with them, as far as I'm concerned, is their price. Well, that should be Apple's primary concern right now. Ther next concern should be the horrible gaming situation.

scem0

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nope... I announced the change here.

I've been on this "new" job now for a couple of weeks.
    It is heavy MS Excel... graphs, pivots, etc.
    I'm learning an awful lot... actually I'm learning how much I don't know!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Ditto.

Today I think I spent the most time ever working on a Mac. And in this case, it was me being a dummy. I was going to store my TAM for a while. So I was cleaning out the inside by removing key parts. I unfortunately, I dropped a screw into the guts. Well, I had to disassemble the TAM for the first time to find the screw. Mission accomplished! :)

Most of my Macs just keep running without much maintenance.

My PCs on the other hand, require much more TLC. Although, now that I've adopted the set up your system, image it, then once every month or so killdisk the HD, and restore from image my PC days are much much smoother.

Sushi

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Hey MacDawg, you might want to try this with Excel.

Instead of using the SAVE command, use the SAVE AS command.

So say you are doing a file call Feb Budget. You would save as follows:

Feb Budget - 050708a.xls
    Feb Budget - 050708b.xls
    Feb Budget - 050708c.xls

Then when you come in the next day, you open Feb Budget - 050708c.xls and immediately save as Feb Budget - 050709a.xls and work from there.

I would suggest that you use SAVE AS at least every half hour to hour, or when you do some significant additions (new sheet, formulas, etc.).

When you are done with your project, delete the temp files and save the final document in your desired name.

This also works well with Word and PowerPoint files.

I won't bore you with the details, but it has to do with Pointer Hell in both of these programs. Using SAVE AS treats the pointers differently than using a SAVE command.

As for IE, use Firefox instead.

As for XP, PM me if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

Sushi

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Very good point.

You should do this monthly or when your computer acts weird.

Repairing permissions is like rebuilding your desktop under OS 9 and earlier.

Something that you need to do routinely that takes very little time which keeps your Mac running trouble free for the most part.

Sushi

24. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

LOL... I hear ya.... fortunately, I get my fill of working on xp because I have both. Its kinda funny.. I never touch the mac (maintenance wise) and Im always trying to fix something, or remove spyware or malware on the xp box. The only real upgrades I've ever felt necessary on the macs is ram and hard drive upgrades.

25. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

'preciate it, but no can do...

Most of the files I work with are on the Network in a common folder, so it has to be readily accessible to others, and they have to know the current file from hour to hour. :(

Not allowed to install anything because the tech department has us locked down, so Firefox is out :(

And XP is their only option :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]