The only reason I hate laptops

Discussion in 'Community' started by Schiffi, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2003
    back in London
    not today, well when apple decides to ship. We now have air port exteme, blue tooth, wireless mouse and keyboard. My laptops are ok. Its my desktop is a pain.. I have:

ethernet - ineternet

SCSI flat bed scanner

Fire wire daisy chain- lacie DVDR, External HD, Minolta Neg scanner isight and Canon DV.

USB-keyboard, mouse, wacom tablet, griffin powermate and printer. Its a wired jungle out there....

I find if you want high speed connection then it almost have to be wired..
  2. ejb190 macrumors 65816

I'll have to get photos of my setup! I have two laptops, a desktop, a scanner, a couple of external Zips, and a printer all on one desk. A USB hub sure helps with all the USB stuff. One plug and I disconnect four devices. I have a 12" PB. When I pack it up, I disconnect the long cord from the power supply and leave it behind, using the folding plug when I am on the road. A second power supply would be even better, but I haven't bothered to spend the money. The more cords I can leave behind, the better.
  3. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Truly for me, its the inability to upgrade the GPU and the CPU. If I could just upgrade from the 8MB on my TiBook to at least 32MB, I'd be playing SimCity 4 right now.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    i haven't moved my laptop aroudn that much but you don't eve have a lock for it schiffii thats the biggest pain to release .
  5. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    London, Ontario
    The only thing that ever gets connected to my iBook is my mouse and sometimes my superdrive. Im never working at a desk.

I just kinda roam the streets looking for wi-fi.
  6. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    I only have the mouse connected to my 'book and sometimes the power adapter...

...I wish I had internal bluetooth though, so I could get rid of the mouse cord too.

well, can't have everything :(

one of the reasons why I bought an iMac DV400 a couple of years ago was the fact that you did not have all the annoying cords like on a desktop that collect dust and look ugly... yeeeeek...

7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Right now my TiBook has two cords, Ethernet and Power.. (Since I was working Wifi at my last office visit and drained my battery, otherwise it would be only ethernet here.)

Oh and for all of you whiners I have it on my lap. I like being warm and toastie. :p
  8. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

Jan 20, 2003
    New York
    well, it is actually possible to be completely wireless except for the power. new BT keyboards and mice, AE, and now most burners are internal, i would love an iBook with BT. all i would ned is the wireless mouse and i'd be set. i can use it on my cheek! (face):p
  9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    I could get a wireless mouse and keyboard, wireless print server, and wireless speaker reciever and I'd be completely wireless except for the power. The thing about power is that they can be made wireless now too. =D
  10. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I too hate the mess of cables my PowerBook requires while on a desk. Even though I have AirPort Extreme, there is no wireless connection in my room. I have:

1. Power cord
    2. Ethernet
    3. Firewire HD (daisy-chained to iPod)
    4. USB Printer
    5. External USB mouse
    6. Video out to TV
    7. Audio out
    8. Security cable

The power, security cable, ethernet, USB, and audio out cable are in this tubing stuff that looks like an umbilical cord... Cable wraps or ties make a mess much more bearable. What I want to do, is get the wireless keyboard (that's cool, the mouse sux... :( ) and another wireless mouse, so I can sit in a lounge chair in front of the TV with the computer behind me, and use it like that...
  11. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    there's really no way you can avoid cords... perhaps someone should make a hub where you can plug one cord into your laptop, then just have mouse etc plugged into the hub. then you would only have to uplug one plug from the laptop.

desktops get just as messy, people probably just don't notice it as much because they don't constantly keep unplugging and pluggin in stuff. it's always a jungle behind my desk!:eek: :p
  12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    My wife made me buy an AE basestation to clear the cables out of the living room, I put an Airport card in the eMac as well, and now have a neat little wireless network in the house all talking to the broadband, I can get to the printer from everywhere, and whilst I wouldn't want to transfer large files over the link, it's great for general work.

As I type I have NO cables connected to the 17", and a happy wife, everybody wins.:D
  13. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
  14. jzieske macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2003
    Bloomington, MN
    Nice idea but $250 seems like a little too much.
  15. davy the bunny macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2003
    I know that this is somewhat off topic but, I have an electric shaver that all you have to do is drop it into its base and it charges without anything being directly conncted to it. I've always wondered why noone develops this technology to accomodate a higher storage and output of power. It would be my dream to be able to charge my laptop simply by placing it on the charging pad. But I guess fuel cell is okay too. . . sorry for the minor threadjacking.
  16. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Only thing connected to my Powerbook is the power cable. I don't use a mouse, my internet connection is via WiFi, my phone and Palm sync via Bluetooth, and I print wirelessly to the printer attached to my XP desktop. Occasionally I do have to plug in my Ipod, video camera, etc; but that isn't such a pain.
  17. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Actually, there are some laptops with a big port on the bottom that plugs into a docking station. Apple made laptops like this before (DUO laptops)

Anyways, as far as something like your electric shaver, I don't know if that technology is practical for laptops yet. I have a toothbrush like that, and it uses something called induction (I think, I can't remember what my physics teacher said... correct me if I'm wrong). There has been talk of this pad that you can put your electronics on, like your PowerBook, iPod, cell phone, PDA, and almost anything with a battery, and it could it charge them without plugging anything in. Of course, all of your electronic devices would have to be outfitted to use this technology, but it would be pretty cool. You just put your laptop down, and a LED on the case turns orange, showing that it's charging. I just don't know if it can charge your PowerBook battery as quickly as a direct connection, and I'm pretty sure that data transfer with the technology is impractical (but I could be wrong). And with an aluminum PowerBook, something would have to change, like plastic pads on the bottom. If I had that, an airport base station, or other wi-fi connection in my room, a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and a wireless print server, I would only need to plug in my video and audio out, iPod and external HD, and my computer lock. Of course, if I have tons of wireless stuff, in a dorm room, I don't want it to walk away.