The "Open With" menu

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kimi, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Kimi macrumors regular

Is there anyway I can remove things from the "Open With" right-click menu? Right now I've got about 60 different apps that open image files, so everytime I right click an image file it stalls for a few seconds before I can do anything.

Looking at the list, a lot of them are .exe files, which is strange as I've got got a Windows version of CS2 on my G5 iMac...

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Yeah, I'd love to be able to do that! I have the exact same issue you have. It's a bummer

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Do a search, as WildCowboy recently had a post with how to correct this problem. I had post-it with the link, but seem to have misplaced it and am in the middle of cooking dinner.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You might try rebuilding the launchservices database -- this doesn't let you manually control what goes in the database, but it should get rid of anything that does not legitimately belong there.

You do it this way:

Open terminal
    Type:

locate lsregister <press return>
    Now highlight all of the output and copy and paste it back onto the command line, and add this:

\ -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

So that it says

...(path here)...lsregister \ -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

And then press <return>

This should rebuild the database so that only real legitimate OS X apps are listed as able to open docs of their native kind.

5. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

:eek: anything a little more user friendly? For me, the terminal is "the place where protein origami occurs" and nothing else :p

6. pengu macrumors 6502a

CS2 has a lot of pre-built "mini apps" that are basically scripts for Photoshop/Illustrator, etc to do bulk manipulations. Even the mac versions of these scripts have the .exe extension..

As for your general question, i think the "Open With" menu is controlled by the LaunchServices database.. you can "fix" it with a hint from http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031215144430486

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Mrkrishnan...you might know, since the original poster mentioned CS2, should he/she also look at this thread (in which WildCowboy mentions this thread)?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

ROFL ... try seeing if this script works (you should just be able to unzip it and then double click it)

http://scriptbuilders.net/files/rebuildlaunchservicesdatabase1.0.html

The thing is that the location of the lsregister tool changed between Panther and Tiger and I don't see what the date of this script is. It'll either work or not work, though... nothing bad will happen.

EDIT: yes, sorry, what I would recommend is that you rebuild launchservices first. If you still have things you think do not belong, follow the directions to delete the CS2 droplets.