The Original 1.8GHz PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by denm316, Oct 29, 2004.

1. denm316 macrumors 6502

Hey Gang,

I was wondering if someone with better memory then me can help me here. I ordered my single processor 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 back in September 2003, when they first started shipping. I remember the default video card was the Nvidia 5200(64MB ram), I upgraded mine for approxiamtely $50 to the ATi card, it was not the super high end one. Can someone tell me whether or not the $50 upgrade ATi card was 64MB of RAM. I am almost positive it was but dont have anything that confirms what I think.

The reason I ask is the card dies and Apple is sending me a 128MB replacement for it, because I told them I had an ATi card, was mainly curious if I got a little bit of a free upgrade.

Thanks

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Of course the new 9600XT has 128MB and is probably all that is left in stock at the moment.

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I had to get a replacement for my 5200, a pity I could have told them I had an ati card... :'(

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have the same computer as you, and yes, the middle range card was a 64 MB Radeon 9600 Pro. Now they are sending you the 128 MB Radeon 9600 XT... so yes, a bit of a free upgrade. :)

5. denm316 thread starter macrumors 6502

What I was told by Apple was this, if you ordered a BTO(CTO) they are unable to see in thier systems what you added. Therefore even if all you did was add thew Bluetooth module, they are unable to what other options you may have changed if any. She was actually gonna send me the 256MB one, but I accidentally said that that wasnt the one I had. She also stated no one would probably even know if you got a different one, as long as you send something back.

Thanks for the responses, once again it is greatly appreciated.