The original boxed lunch

Discussion in 'Community' started by wdlove, Mar 4, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

LEXINGTON -- The story of the metal lunchbox, a mainstay of American schoolchildren for four decades, is not told in the rusting art of the coveted 1935 Mickey Mouse lunch pail. Nor is it seen on the uber valuable blue Beatles lunchbox, or even in Lindsay Wagner's determined gaze on the "Bionic Woman" box.

In a gallery of 75 vintage lunchboxes that go on display to the public this Saturday at the National Heritage Museum, the truest explanation of lunchbox longevity can be seen on a slightly battered yellow and pink Miss America lunchbox from 1972. There, just to the left of a beauty pageant brunette decked out in a sash, tiara, and "That Girl" flip, is a name written in careful fifth-grade script: "Alma Royer."

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/home/articles/2004/03/04/the_original_boxed_lunch/

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I guess I was born a little too late for metal lunchboxes, but I do remember this plastic one... My favorite childhood food thing was the thing that smashed pictures into your sandwich bread... That thing was cool...

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i had a friend who had the julia lunchbox on the link

i can't really remember which ones i had but they were all metal...the plastic ones came later on

4. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I can remember the metal lunch boxes in the 50's and 60's. It was "Lassie," "Sky King," "Rin Tin Tin," "Roy Rogers," "My Friend Flicka," and many others. :) Although I never owned one, I was one of those that enjoyed the school lunch. To me it was delicious.

5. big macrumors 65816

big

Umm, so I AM OLD.. I had three of them, my first was Star Trek Movie I, then Dukes of Hazard (we do live in Alabama), and the last one I can not remember, it may have been the Smurf's

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace