The Origins and Development of the iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Wired magazine has a particularly revealing article which details some of the history of the iPhone project within Apple and its unique affect on the wireless industry. With the introduction of the iPhone, manufacturers are racing to produce more phones that appeal directly to consumers rather than to carriers.

Wired manages to get some previously unknown details about the origins of the iPhone project. It began back in 2002, soon after the iPod, when Jobs realized that the convergence of mobile phones and music players would force Apple to get into the mobile phone business.

Apple originally partnered with Motorola which resulted in the ill-fated ROKR iTunes phone, which appeared to be doomed from the start:
    In February 2005, Jobs secretly met with Cingular executives, including Stan Sigman. Jobs presented a three-part message to the execs:
    Despite the promises, the iPhone project was a major challenge for Apple, requiring over $150 million in development costs. Apple also took extraordinary measures to keep the project secret, with hardware and software teams completely separated, with only 30 people having seen the full device by the time it debuted at Macworld 2007. The decision to use a modified Mac OS X wasn't immediately obvious, and Apple engineers had even seriously considered using Linux.

Other interesting notes from the article:

- The iPhone's codename was P2, short for Purple 2. Purple 1 was an abandoned iPod phone project.
    - Apple engineers had spent a year working on touchscreen technology for a Tablet PC. (no other details available in the article)

Article Link

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

everyone should read the full article. it's very interesting.

arn

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That's intense. After years of development, so few had actually seen the full product.

Thought the blurbs about what it was like working at Apple corporate leading up to the Keynote and launch were really interesting (the anecdotes and whatnot), but part of me wishes I knew for sure whether or not those were embellished. :p

4. ericdano macrumors member

That is all they spent on it? $150 million? Amazing. Microsoft funnels money in multiples of this paltry sum, and they still come out with crap.

5. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Good article, and wow... screaming Jobs' what a surprise... :p

6. SAMTATSICPRO macrumors regular

Wow, lots of info and very very interesting.
    I wonder if steve was using Cingular all this time and what kind of phone he had to call everyone. maybe he had a mygo or a Pager.

7. fs454 macrumors 6502a

They spent a year working on Tablet PC tech?

Oh really?

This makes me more confident that a tablet-type Mac will be shown at MWSF.

8. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Very cool stuff. The year working on a tablet is particularly interesting. If anyone can bring tablets mainstream, it will be apple. Very exciting stuff. The idea of a linux iphone was also pretty cool.

-Ado

9. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Great read. I love these insider stories of Jobs and Apple. Great stuff.

10. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

def a good read, thanks for the heads up :) - really is amazing how they managed to keep it under the covers for so long :)

11. neoserver macrumors 6502

Incredible. I can't believe the amount of secrecy though. It must have been frustrating at times for the engineers, not knowing what was in the wooden boxes and such.

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's a long article, but it was a nice read.

13. brewcitywi macrumors regular

fascinating

Whenever a new product is released and is successful, we as consumers say things like, "oh yeah, of course, the iPhone," as if it's invention was obvious and inevitable.

I think it is SO fascinating to hear about the time before a product's release. Whether it's XBox, or the Wii, there are still very important gaps in the market that companies can find, if they drop the corporate strategy and look at making the consumer experience amazing.

My only "negative" thought is that I hope that Apple wasn't calculating and manipulative in producing the ROKR, in using the experience to learn about the cellphone industry, and take it for themselves. But, I suppose those things happen every day.

However, as the US economy navigates through a potential recession, I think we should look and learn from the courage, innovation, and timing behind such a revolutionary product.

The harder it is to produce something, the greater the scope of it's success.

For some reason, I just have to believe that the energy and ingenuity used to create a groundbreaking new product can be harnessed by any person or company, to go to a new place and have a creative breakthrough.

14. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

that's pretty cool. i would've never guessed that much secrecy was going on.

15. sachxn macrumors newbie

3.2GHZ touchscreen tablet

the fact that they worked for a year on tablet pc confirms that Steve will reveal 3.2GHZ touchscreen tablet at 2008 macworld.

Sachin

16. somberlaine macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Sounds very credible despite the lack of sources.

17. jlseattle macrumors regular

Steve Jobs and Apple ROCKS!

The whole company rocks! Thanks Steve Jobs and Thanks Apple!

18. Phormic macrumors regular

The high stress, pressure cooker, development to a deadline, engineer burn-out genesis of the iPhone sounds very much like the story of the development of the original Macintosh, albeit on a much bigger scale.

It's amazing how such groundbreaking products can come from so much stress and chaos. No wonder Steve gave them all one to say thanks.

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

ya, not really.

and no way in hell would a tablet be 3.2GHz right now. maybe in a few years.

20. wizard macrumors 68040

Interesting.

Kinda supports my expressed thoughts that the iPhone is half done. I might even get one when the OS is all there.

As to the software stack on the iPhone, you have to wonder how well everything would be working if the developers had access to hardware through out the development process. It is pretty obvious that the first few software updates from Apple where there to squish bugs.

Dave

21. FCA macrumors member

FCA

wow..very interesting story...I wonder how that writer got so much insider-disim...lol.
    Now I understand at least why the non-Apple applications that are installed in iPhones are recoginized by the system as "Purple Apps"...very genius...inspiring story, looking back at those times it make us look silly but it make us also believers, thanks for the link!

22. ridli macrumors newbie

Great read. I started giggling when reading about the clickwheel mockup that was made. For some reason I kept imagining an alternate reality version of the iphone that used a click wheel to create the world's most advanced rotary phone.

And come on folks, don't go betting the rent money on a touch screen mac next week just because wired mentioned "tablet" in an apple article :)

23. dwman macrumors 6502

dwman

5 year exclusivity for AT&T?? :confused: That will keep me from buying the iPhone for a while. :(

24. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

very interesting read. but shows you the foresight that someone like Jobs has. amazing.

25. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

BackInTheSaddle

Only $150 mil for development of the iPhone? That's the bargain of the century...and just imagine what the iPhone and cell industry could look like five years from now, if you use the music industry as a guideline to gauge how much things changed five years after the iPod's intro.