The Oscars - Actors hate DVDs?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by richdun, Mar 5, 2006.

1. richdun macrumors member

Was it just me, or has virtually everyone on the Oscars mentioned that the best way to watch a movie is in a theater, not on DVD/portable media (maybe in response to the pent-up demand for a digital movie store like iTunes)? Do they really think people will just say, "You know, you're right! I'll keep on paying $9 for 30 minutes of commercials and a so-so chance at watching a good movie. Why would I want to pay $15 to play a movie as many times as I want and wherever I want with whomever I want? Or, better yet, $1.99 to $9.99 for a digital download of it?" Jon Stewart's "out of touch" comment was right on.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think they're complaining about how the academy is sending them films not on a DVD with special protections unlike previous years, but now on a portable DVD player. A year or two ago they required everyone to have a special player, now they just send them a sealed portable DVD player.

B

3. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Oh wow I didn't know that. That would kind of suck. I'm sure the people who recieve those in the mail probably have good if not way better than average home entertainment setups, it would be horrible to have to watch everything on little 8 inch players.

4. richdun thread starter macrumors member

Ah...That's pretty messed up. And here I thought they were just whining about people wanting to download/rent/iTunes movies more and driving their box office proceeds way down. I guess that could be true, but getting portable DVD players instead of DVDs would make me mad too.

5. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

It was just a lame attempt of AMPAS to get people to go to the theatre, which makes them money, instead of renting the DVD on Netflix, ect.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They even implied that watching "with other people" makes it a better experience. And what is the #1 annoying thing in a movie theater? The lady talking in the row behind you, the tall guy wearing a hat in front of you, the kid rustling his candy wrapper, the sick people coughing every few seconds, the lady who didn't turn off his cell phone, the guy with the huge feet who steps on yours as he tries to get out of your row during the movie, and so on.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

After my last trip to the theatre I decided that was it.

We don't have any iTunes TV shows or anything like that available here, Telstra have a movie download service but just as with everything Telstra does it's not compatible with my Mac and nobody gives a rat's arse about it anyway.

I will happily go back to the cinema if they could provide:

- Crystal clear projection and sound without the bloody lights from outside shining through onto the screen.
    - No old people to talk and natter the whole way through the film.
    - No young kiddies who talk through the film.
    - No babies.
    - At least halve the price.
    - No more remakes.
    - That the movie I am going to see isn't some half-arsed attempt to be cool, I want to be entertained. I don't want to go in and see a movie that has a gimmick as it's main pull (shaky camera work a la Ocean's 12, all special effects a la Sky Captain etc.)
    - Stop dumbing down the films, if it has to be confronting then make it confronting, stop hiding all the gory details so the "Concerned Moms of Whocares Idaho" will let their mollycoddled kids attend the theatre.

8. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Well said.

9. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    That's interesting about how the members of the Academy receive the films to be viewed.... yeah, I wouldn't be too happy at that! However, I think that they were directing their comments not to fellow members of the industry as much as they were the wide, unseen audience out here in TV-Land who are renting/buying more and more DVDs instead of going to the theatres to see them. I know I'm as guilty as the next guy: I often will think, "oh, that sounds like a good movie! I'll have to be sure to get ahold of the DVD when it comes out..." instead of simply going to the brick-and-mortar theatre to watch it. Last movie I saw in the theatre was "Memoirs of a Geisha," as that's the kind of film which really should be shown on the big screen.

I imagine that Hollywood has noticed a significant decrease in box office profits because of the DVD industry. On the other hand, there are those people who will see a film at the theatre and then because they loved it so much will buy the DVD, too. I'm a case in point. I loved the movie "Rent" when I saw it in the theatre. When the DVD came out I was on Amazon's pre-order list to get it so that I can now enjoy it in my own home.

And yep, for all the reasons listed in other posts, going to the theatre isn't always that fun of an experience! Sometimes I am much happier viewing DVDs at home alone or with a few friends rather than in a crowd of strangers in a movie theatre.

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i assume you experienced this while viewing transamerica?? :p

11. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Interestingly enough... it is not a social faux-paus to keep your cell phone on AND talk during a movie if you go to the cinema in India. I have to say that that was one of the most annoying parts of my Indian cinema experience. I'll stick with the conservativeness/politeness/whatever of the West. :)

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

But it is a faux-paus to say "the lady who didn't turn off his cell phone", as I mistakenly did! :p

13. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Well... that goes without saying. It thought I'd just assume what you meant rather than point it out since someone else already had. ;)

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It could have been worse, if, rather than simply typing the wrong pronoun, I had meant to imply that women are responsible for turning off men's cell phones!

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Oh, but they are. I never turn off my cell phone - I try to make sure that the wife always does that. I thought that was one of those "wife's duties" that appeared in Good Housekeeping back in 1950-whatever.

16. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Grr.... I'll have to have some words with you, boy, when you get home... :mad:

:D

17. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I think movies in theaters are in danger of being threatened big time.

I can't remember the last movie I saw in the theater that I was really pleased with. The seats are uncomfortable, I hate not being able to pause and go take a piss...ect. but that's all standard complaints.

But mostly, now a days I would rather watch the TV shows than 90% of the movies out there.

Shows like 24, lost, CSI's, Grey's Anatomy, House, Numb3rs,

TV is just much better than movies right now IMO.....and if a movie does look good, waiting for DVD is just too tempting.

I see theater movies slowing wayyy down in the next 5 years.

18. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I don't see any movie untill 4 of my friends recommend it. Not 4 people saying "oh I watched *MOVIE NAME* last night, it was decent" but I want 4 glowing reviews like "you HAVE to see it", and I need to hear it from 3-4 different friends. 9 times out of 10 movies that meet this criteria are worth watching (Sin City, Fight Club) other wise, no dice.

19. Motley macrumors 6502

And that's why I love my cheapo home theater setup. I can look at a movie I'm semi interested in and just wait to rent/buy it when it comes out on DVD. An 8 foot wide image is good enough for me. Beverages and Popcorn are cheaper this way too.