Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
leekohler said:
That was one of the worst films I saw this year. Heavy-handed, spoon-fed moralism! I wanted anything else to win!

It was the better of the evils in my opinion. I had initially thought Brokeback would sweep all just based on the hype that it received. Both movies were pretty lackluster.

Hollywood is in a slump, hopefully they will recover and get back to the business of entertaining people

Ed

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
cycocelica said:
Wow, I loved that movie. It was a great movie. I am just glad Brokeback Mountain didn't win.

I didn't like Brokeback either. Why did you want to see it fail? Too much of a shoo-in?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
2nyRiggz said:
I'm glad they won the movie was cool......Its hard out there for a pimp!? what the hell! now i'm never gonna get that out of my head.

Bless

Ha-ha! :) But seriously, Crash was the only film I ropped out of my DVD player and wanted to destroy. Contrived, messagy garbage.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
What movie did you want too see win then? It was either that or Good Luck for me.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
leekohler said:
I didn't like Brokeback either. Why did you want to see it fail? Too much of a shoo-in?

Way to over hyped. Oh a film about gays, so controversial. :rolleyes: I would have rather seen Good Night and Good Luck win.

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
I never thought Crash would actually win, but I think it is deserved. There are so few movies that actually make people think. After seeing Crash, I had an hour-long discussion with my girlfriend, and have had numerous since with classmates and others. That is true power of a media: when you carry it with you even when you are not immediately experiancing it. It can be said that Brokeback and Good Night have done the same, but too few have seen Good Night and Brokeback's message is lost amist the gay cowboy jokes. Anyway, any movie that has Brendan Frasier playing a serious role and not sucking automatically wins best everything, based purely on that achivement alone.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
cycocelica said:
Way to over hyped. Oh a film about gays, so controversial. :rolleyes: I would have rather seen Good Night and Good Luck win.

True- Brokeback was way over-hyped. I didn't care for it- and I'm gay! But Crash- ugh! Dreadful.

pinto32 said:
I never thought Crash would actually win, but I think it is deserved. There are so few movies that actually make people think.

Crash TOLD you what to think. It didn't make you think.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
The message was overstated for sure. I'd agree that it was spoon fed. I didn't think it was very controversial though, I think racism to that extreme is very looked down upon by most everyone. So, I guess I thought the message wasn't very necessary.

I didn't see the other films other than Brokeback mountain, which I, too, was not impressed with. So, I'm not in a position to say which movie should have won.

e

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
wow, some people get excited....

good night and good luck put me to sleep. capote was decent. i liked crash.

didn't see the other two. at least munich didn't win just cause it's spielberg.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I think Crash was pretty good. Though I think there is too much hype surrounding Brokeback turning people off and might have also caused it it's oscar win.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
cycocelica said:
Someone wrote an article for my school's newspaper (which is usually crap anyway, but I'll save that for another thread) going on and on about how Brokeback was "beautiful" because it was about two grown men "breaking the norms of the day" and something about "taboo" stuff. I mean, it's not like that's ever been done in a movie before. Of course, I'm sure she was in love with the movie because she got to see Heath Ledger swapping spit with Jake Gyllenhall. I bet's she's a fan of this
The term is an acronym derived from the Japanese phrase yama nashi, ochi nashi, imi nashi, meaning "no climax, no punch line, no meaning."
Now, I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain, so someone else will have to tell me whether there is a climax or not. Now, whether I mean in the plot or otherwise is up to you ;)

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
leekohler said:
Crash TOLD you what to think. It didn't make you think.

I disagree. I thought Crash was very good and presented a lot of the problems associated with racism today. I didn't come away from that movie feeling like I'd been preached to. I'm curious as to what you think Crash told us to think because it didn't seem moralistic to me at all, merely showing perspectives on a very real and important problem.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Crash was interesting and well acted, but the plot was contrived, requiring multiple coincidences, and painted its story in such broad strokes that you learned about no character in enough depth.

And there were little direction mistakes, like having Graham (Don Cheadle's character) and one other character wear neck scarves. Easterners may wear them, but nobody does in Los Angeles. It was filmed here in Los Angeles (I recognized some local intersections) but the dialog wasn't L.A.-speak.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I disagree. I thought Crash was very good and presented a lot of the problems associated with racism today. I didn't come away from that movie feeling like I'd been preached to. I'm curious as to what you think Crash told us to think because it didn't seem moralistic to me at all, merely showing perspectives on a very real and important problem.

In my opinion, it told us to treat everyone fairly. It told us to not judge people based on their skin color, if they're tattoed, etc. I think that message was pretty clear.

e

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
scem0 said:
In my opinion, it told us to treat everyone fairly. It told us to not judge people based on their skin color, if they're tattoed, etc. I think that message was pretty clear.

e

Exactly, It was "don't hate each other, that's bad." Very direct and very clear. TOO clear. Some nuance would have been welcome. And the overly-dramatic musical interludes were just awful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.