The over-deleting of user's posts without notice.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Aniej, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

uhmm can a mod please contact me and explain why over 40 of my posts just disappeared? I think that is a major breach of respect and really warrants some sort of notice before doing so. I can handle 5 or so getting knocked out if, in the rare instance, I bump a thread, but 40. Also, there really should be more transparency as to what moderator did this, which brings me back to the whole notice point. The user might not agree in the end, but they deserve a heads up at a minimum. I am very disappointed and really question the need for such actions other than self-importance. Please respond!

well? and you can delete this post too if you want, just explain.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If it was about self-importance, then they wouldn't be doing it incognito.

The more pertinent question might be: why does it matter that 40 or more posts were deleted? Is post count that important? It's not a reflection of anything useful really...

Now that is self-importance. 4 minutes elapses between your first post and the next and you're demanding explanations...

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Except possibly self-importance;)

4. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

not post count at all. I could care less about the post count. I care that I spent time on the posts responding and typing. I tyr to help and I try to have fun and contribute and the fact that 40 went missing all of the sudden upsets me for that reason. The post count is only the means by which I became aware of the posts being deleted or whatever. I think that is a pretty fair reason.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Chances are, one (or more) threads which you regularly posted in got moved to the political forum (or wasteland), where posts cease to count.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

That's the likeliest explaination.

7. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

bartelby, that was funny. :D I mean I think my rationale is pretty legit and a fair point, don't you? Lack of notice and the irritation you feel by spending time on something and then having someone else mess with it is not so pleasant.

I see. wasteland is the most likely, I have only posted in the political thread maybe 3 times or so. I come on here to talk about Apple, not "should I try and get a girlfriend or buy a MBP?"

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I agree with that in principle, but as you framed it as a matter of post count i.e. the tally, then it's almost a natural reaction to be dismissive about it.

And yeah, if things get wastelanded, then that affects things. Choose your threads carefully if post counts matter to you.

9. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I just went to wasteland and did a search for Aniej and only 3 threads came up with only 3 or 4 posts by me...

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I fail to see the relevance here. Basically if it works for you use it, if not then don't.

11. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

what are you talking about, the reason I changed the title?

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Love the edit explanation. Certainly not confused at all... :rolleyes:

Am reading you loud and clear as are others, I would wager.

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

dunno...

the server may have recounted post counts overnight for some unknown reason. Post counts get out of sync over time, and the server recounts at some unknown interval.

So, maybe 40 posts over time? not sure offhand.

arn

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

A more apt description might be: "changed misleading title." Your title confused everyone equally - it was misleading.

And let me just say this, that description screams "self-importance" (as you put it).

15. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I know I had a post removed once or twice. I wish I got a warning saying why and please discontinue. I really don't know why some of my posts were removed other then perhaps being too short.

I haven't seen it as a huge problem but it seems to be creeping up as one.

16. Salasm macrumors regular

Salasm

welcome to my world

no need to get defensive. the OPs post made perfect sense for reading comprehension

17. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I agree that if such action prompted you to generate a post, a reply should (and most likely will) be furnished offering an explanation. Transparency is fine for many situations, but if a private message is thought the best way of handling this, then that type of option should be sent from a moderator.

You should also be mindful of the fact that there are a limited number of mods ... and one has to allow more than an insignificant span of four minutes to elapse before expecting everything to be answered fully.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I figure it's a good thing, by regular deletion of my posts my postcount stays low and I manage to fool myself into thinking that I'm not a post-whore.

19. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

A public post demanding the mods offer you an explanation as to how they run a private forum is uncalled for. You should have sent a PM to one and asked in that manner.

Do you really think the mods have time to explain every post deletion they make?

Don't be surprised when you lose more posts when this is wastelanded.

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The post? Maybe. The original title gave a completely different impression however.

21. Salasm macrumors regular

Salasm

lame. this is a forum open to the public. OP is asking for more public disclosure. this not only affects him, but everyone else. stop being so smug. it annoying.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not defensive at all. Criticising my reading comprehension is ironic considering that points have been missed all over the place.

Anyway, is this about me? No. It's about a paltry 40 posts and shrill demands to hold someone publicly accountable.

Where's that baby picture when you need it?

23. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Oh stop bickering! You are acting like a bunch of petulant children. The OP has a point and deserves clarification.

David

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm afraid I disagree. Out in the open, for everyone to read... Likewise, a potentially relevant (or at least very informative) thread.

I think it's best if everyone walks away from this thread to cool off a bit... It's much too easy to let frustrations work their way into personal jabs and insults. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.