Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I agree that if such action prompted you to generate a post, a reply should (and most likely will) be furnished offering an explanation. Transparency is fine for many situations, but if a private message is thought the best way of handling this, then that type of option should be sent from a moderator.

You should also be mindful of the fact that there are a limited number of mods ... and one has to allow more than an insignificant span of four minutes to elapse before expecting everything to be answered fully.

Your point is well taken. I was frustrated.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Aniej, for what it's worth, the number of posts you've made that have been deleted, been posted in the Political forums or been in Wastelanded threads combined is less than 40 for the whole time you've been a member.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
My point may of been missed earlier.

I think a "warning" would be fair.

Perhaps a function that as soon as a post is deleted it will send a PM saying "The following Post in thread XYZ has been deleted. Please keep post meaningful" or something like that.

Its not a HUGE problem IMO, but I have had a post or two deleted and wondered why. It seems that more and more posts of peoples have been disappearing.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
My point may of been missed earlier.

I think a "warning" would be fair.

Perhaps a function that as soon as a post is deleted it will send a PM saying "The following Post in thread XYZ has been deleted. Please keep post meaningful" or something like that.

Its not a HUGE problem IMO, but I have had a post or two deleted and wondered why. It seems that more and more posts of peoples have been disappearing.

I don't think the Mods have time to PM every person to inform them if one of their posts is being deleted.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
A public post demanding the mods offer you an explanation as to how they run a private forum is uncalled for. You should have sent a PM to one and asked in that manner.

Do you really think the mods have time to explain every post deletion they make?

Don't be surprised when you lose more posts when this is wastelanded.

No I don't think they have time to respond to every single post. I am not asking for that. I think it is very clear what my point is and fair to ask for. I will restate it nonetheless: When 40 posts get deleted in a only a matter of minutes, yes I do think the mod has the time and the responsibility to at least inform the person who made the posts. 40 posts is very different than 1 or 2 and the least they could do was give the user a heads up, talk to them for a second and engage in some form of dialogue so the person does not feel like this came out of nowhere and the time they spent was wasted.

The point is notice and transparency thats all. This message board is for all of us to enjoy and is a community; I'm just asking for things to be done the right way. And in response to your issue of not sending a PM, it is not all that easy to do when there was no easy to find list of mods on at the time other than going to guides and matching that against who the users were on at the time. I think a public request was correct and not only the reasonable thing to do in light of the the reason I just gave, but also meant to bring the problem to light, which is what message boards are about.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
I don't think the Mods have time to PM every person to inform them if one of their posts is being deleted.

It wouldnt work like that. It would be an automatic function once a mod pressed delete. Maybe right before it sends it might provide the mod a menu of choices of which "rule" the post violated. Simple and to the point and non-time consuming.

I am not aware of how big issue this is, just offering my 2 cents to fix it.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
And in response to your issue of not sending a PM, it is not all that easy to do when there was no easy to find list of mods on at the time other than going to guides and matching that against who the users were on at the time.
I find a bit of irony in that it's too much effort to at least PM one mod from your perspective, but a mod is expected to not only edit/delete posts (and from more than just one user at a time, most likely working on a number of behind-the-scenes stuff) and then PM all the users that are effected. And for future references; go to the main Forums listing page... click on "View Forum Leaders."

Picture 2.png

I think a public request was correct and not only the reasonable thing to do in light of the the reason I just gave, but also meant to bring the problem to light, which is what message boards are about.
No, this type of issue has been addressed over and over again... Have you yet taken the time to read the Forum Rules that both I and rdowns posted a link to?

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
yes I read it just now, but I actually don't quite understand what the consequence of that is? I am tired, it's late. I think some of my (and our) posts in here are out of frustration so take them with a grain of salt. But, please also take the time to read the clearly articulated points and concerns as a legitimate point of view regarding a problem worth noting publicly.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'm just asking for things to be done the right way.

That definitely goes both ways. You don't make a public scene, you don't make demands, you don't lash out and you don't get upset about things that aren't that important.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
When 40 posts get deleted in a only a matter of minutes, yes I do think the mod has the time and the responsibility to at least inform the person who made the posts.

HexMonkey already posted that you did not have that many posts deleted in your entire time here.

And in response to your issue of not sending a PM, it is not all that easy to do when there was no easy to find list of mods on at the time other than going to guides and matching that against who the users were on at the time.

For future reference, you can find an easy way here.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
When 40 posts get deleted in a only a matter of minutes, yes I do think the mod has the time and the responsibility to at least inform the person who made the posts.
One last comment, for the record. We already do exactly what you are suggesting, even if the number of posts removed is much smaller than 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.