Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sicarius

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Tennessee.
Ok, so here's the deal: My parents are buying me a Macbook Pro for school (15.4", 2.0GHz, 1GB RAM (1 x 1GB) ), but the thing is, I have no idea how long I'll have to wait. I've never used OS X in any real capacity, (Used a friend's for like 30 minutes), so I'm asking the question: How do I pass the time? What are some good things I should learn about Mac OS X before I jump on the Apple-Train? Thanks in advance guys and gals.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Use Windows ME on a 486 while you wait, and then it'll feel even better when you get the new system...

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
2nyRiggz said:
There are a lot of apps and what have you opened to macs these days so thats not a problem anymore plus OSX is the best thing since the alien quadrilogy release:

agreed.

though, upon seeing the NEW Alien Quadrilogy, I feel cheated.

See they originally had all the discs in one of those unfold, and unfold, and unfold type setups. So to get to a disc, you had like 3 feet of DVD case on your lap.

now they each come in a slim DVD case....

sigh, progress.

Sicarius

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Tennessee.
mmmcheese said:
Use Windows ME on a 486 while you wait, and then it'll feel even better when you get the new system...

I'm running 95 on a 700MHz AMD Duron CPU right now, with like 128 MB RAM, and a 4GB HD.

Thanks guys, is there anything I need to do with it, when I get it, to make it safe, or keep bad things from happening to it? Like, virus-software, etc.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
2nyRiggz said:
Macs are easy to use and basically maintain themselves. There are a lot of apps and what have you opened to macs these days so thats not a problem anymore plus OSX is the best thing since the alien quadrilogy release:eek:

Here are some nice apps to know about...check out apples wesite as well.

http://paulstamatiou.com/2005/12/19/10-apps-every-new-mac-user-should-download/

Bless

What the hell, when did you gain 4,000 posts loose the AMD bitch attitude and learn to spell?

props, seriously, but what the hell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.