The Patriot Act and Me

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Dec 12, 2006.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

or reason #1,547 why George Bush is an arsehole.

Life is good. Buying a new townhouse and had to send deposit check off today before I leave to open a new office in Denver. My checking account is a few thousand short so I go online to transfer $4,000 from my savings account to my checking account. Get error messages. Blame it on Microsoft and IE 7.

Fire up Firefox and same errors. OK, bank site is borked. I call on the phone and attempt the transfer but it won't go through. Finally get a person on the phone who tells me my account is frozen and I need to visit a branch. Work my way up to supervisors and get nowhere.

So I actually go to a branch (do people actually still do that?) and am told that under the Patriot Act, my account is frozen. I asked why I was never notified. I got no good answer. I have to show picture ID, my bank card, have my junk measured on the counter and then am handed forms to fillout. I am now livid and talking rather loudly and tell her to fill the effin' forms out herself....which she proceeds to do.

I know I feel safer from terroists.

[/rant]

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

So... how big IS your junk? :D

3. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

Ah, the magic of compund interest. :D

4. Queso macrumors G4

WTF? And of course they'll never tell you why you're now on the Government's Watchlist :rolleyes:

Best get your orange jumpsuits drycleaned. Just in case. :eek: ;)

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, I for one will sleep more soundly in my bed tonight...

So you still have no idea why your account was actually frozen in the first place?

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

can i hear the sound of chickens coming home to roost?

7. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I'm not likely to have an encounter with Mel Gibson, but I imagine he's an interesting drinking buddy. Oh, wait. Did you say Patriot Actor?
    Nevermind. Who's this Bush guy, anyways?

8. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

They said because it had been inactive for more than 120 days.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Which account was frozen? Savings or checking? Or both?

Edit: OK, seen the post above. I'm assuming it's savings.

Doesn't the Freedom of Information Act provide some means of finding out what happened? Or am I naïve? Or is that trumped by the Patriot Act? What a stupid fecking name anyway...

Went to open a fixed-term account the other day and was requested for a barrage of ID (some of which I can't provide) even though I already hold two accounts at the same bank. They've bought in new banking laws over here as well.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

If you shift money (over 10 grand in the UK) around in accounts which don't normally have such transactions you'll raise flags and can look forward to questions being asked.So remember kiddies when you harvest that big Xmas crop bank it in dribs and drabs.:)

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Yep, the royal bank of scotland has really been screwing me around, I've filled in about 12 pages of forms so far and they're telling me I need to open another account, naturally which I'd need ID which I don't yet possess, half an hour of arguing later and they've accepted what I can provide but it's going to take an age for me to get my card. :mad:.

12. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Curious: did you talk to the bank ahead of time about a mortgage? If they knew you were on the market for real estate, they should have been prepared for the activity.

13. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

You should be worried. I'm probably now on a government watch list and all those I send things to will be suspect. :p

14. Queso macrumors G4

That probably explains why this week when I asked to make an urgent transfer to an account in Spain I had to answer all sorts of nonsense:- What's the third letter of your mother's maiden name? That sort of thing.

Next time I'll just turn up with a suitcase stuffed full of cash like that Mark Thatcher :D

Make the first cheque out to George W. Bush. That'll fox them ;)

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Feck 'em. I'd make a jumpsuit look like Prada...

16. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Did you know: the USA PATRIOT Act: "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act"

Lame, eh?

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Patriot act is nothing more then a power grab by govt and removing civil libertys,watering down bill the of rights and the constitution. Harrassing rdowns while letting in millions of illegals,terrorists and anyone for 5 years yet. Police state gone awry. Its what we get for electing a bunch of republicans 6 years ago.

18. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Assuming dubya even won that election. :rolleyes:

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry to hear about your problem rdowns, hopefully everything gets straightened out for you. :( :)

All has been made right with the last election though! :D Democrats in control of both chambers of Congress (and the Presidency in 2008). :cool: :)

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you do that then the will definitely think that you are funding terrorists.;)

21. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yep, this (un)Patriot Act certainly leads to appalling things. I remember reading a news story earlier in the year about a relatively low-income married couple who decided to take a chunk out of their savings and pay off their credit cards in one lump sum...it was like a $5000 payment or something like that. Some time later, they got word from their credit card companies that they missed the payment (I think I'm remembering this correctly), and after much investigation and climbing up the phone-supervisor ladder and fighting to get information, they found out that their accounts had been frozen due to "suspected terrorist activity". Eventually, they got the DHS (oh that lovely lovely agency) to explain to them that because their credit card payments were normally only a couple hundred dollars, when they attempted to transfer such a large sum they were flagged as possible terrorists and the transfer was halted. They were not notified until they found out from the credit card companies.

So because they decide to do something responsible and pay off their debt, a couple of innocent schoolteachers who had no criminal record and had never gotten anything besides a parking ticket were flagged as possible terrorists, and their money was commandeered by the government (probably resulting in a hit on their credit score because the CC companies didn't get the payment on time).

More and more, stories like this and of the much scarier variety (like people getting detained and questioned for days with no explanation) reminds me more and more of communist Russia. Our government has gotten out of control. If you question them, you're unpatriotic. If you're not a God-fearing Christian, than you're immoral. The Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field has nothing, nothing on the George W. Bush Reality Distortion Field -- he actually still believes history will vindicate his entire administration. I'm fairly certain we'll look back on this in 50 years as the decade of enormous setbacks that almost destroyed our way of life -- and our children and grandchildren will wonder what could have possessed so many people to buy into this crap. Of course, we wonder how normal, good German citizens bought into Hitler's crap -- but frighteningly some of the prejudice this administration inspires in people by constantly vilifying Muslims is very similar to the Nazis.

OK rant over. Sorry, I guess that set something off.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I always do.

23. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Wanna borrow my 9 iron? I think that you can rampage dude!

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I am not so sure that would help the situation..... :p :D :)