The PB/ACD Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Sox, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Sox macrumors regular

I have a Rev D 12" PB Superdrive maxed out with RAM and HD space. It's my first Mac, and I love it to death. The portability is fantastic, and just what the doctor ordered for a busy student/intern.

Not that the 12" screen is too small for me, especially with expose', but there are times when I'd like to have more real estate to work with (wouldn't we all). I've been looking at the 20" Cinema Display to set up on my desk at home, and I've had an itchy trigger finger since my tax return came in.

Before I bite the bullet on this, I'd like to know if there are any issues with running ACD with the PB in clamshell mode. I searched for the topic and found a few posts that had the PB overheating and screwing up its own screen. Does this actually happen? Is this an isolated thing, or the norm? Would a Screensavrs from Radtech protect the screen from the heat-warping?

I'd hate to spend $1000 just to screw up my computer.

Thanks.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

First of all, I would suggest looking at the Dell LCDs. They use the same supplier as Apple, and are much cheaper. Some may argue not as nice looking, but whatever.

Secondly, the PowerBook was designed to run closed screen, though I really enjoy using dual monitors on my PowerBook so I always have it open. I would talk to an Apple rep either over the phone or at the Genius Bar if there is a retail location near enough. Also see if a replacement would be covered by AppleCare. Really it depends on what you are doing, I game with my PBook in closed mode to a CRT, but I wouldn't leave it running folding@home or something else intense like that all night with the screen closed.

3. Sox thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'll definitely give Apple a call. I'm close to the Towson, MD store, so I might take a trip down there as well.

It just seemed like so many people were having heat problems with their powerbooks. It's never really been an issue with mine, but I don't game or fold. I WILL be writing papers on Word and on Safari and iTunes every day for extended periods of time, however.