"The PC and the Xbox are very complementary,"

Discussion in 'Games' started by GonzoRob, Nov 22, 2005.

1. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2004
    Said Mr Gates. Regarding his new Xbox Live/M$ Network.

So, tin-foil hat time...

Anyone else smell the stench of Microsoft pulling the plug on the PC Desktop?

After all, with over 1 Teraflop of power for under £300 who would want a PC?
    Yes for the xbox to *be* a PC we would all have to buy monitors that only displayed HDTV resolutions (or a software patch so we could just use a monitor) - but no one can doubt that any OS would fly on this puppy.

Perhaps Microsoft see the end of the PC desktop realising that *most* people just want a media centre.

On a side note…
    Perhaps IBM saw this and bought into mass sales.
    Perhaps Intel saw this, and joined with apple to try and takeover the desktop market.
    and Apple? Well, perhaps they know that OS X will beat windows in the long run (fingers crossed)...
    Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps …

Sounds crazy, but I remember I threw away my Amiga Workbench damn quickly for windows..

call me crazy :) .. what do others think ?

PS: Dell have already shown interest in OS X (if it *was* to be for generic hardware.)
    Yes, they have also started selling AMD... but things change…
  2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    You're suggesting that the XBox 360 be used as a full fledged PC? An OS would not "fly". The 360 could probably run an OS as well as a high end Mac Mini or low end iMac G5.

The whole "one teraflop" thing is a gimmick term they use for hype. It's almost all from the graphics card, not the processor.
  3. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    i think the xbox and mac are more complementary than pc-mac. the xbox fills in what mac users are missing: good gaming
  4. Melkor macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2005
    I couldn't agree more.