The PC community

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Dagless, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

this is a total rant so ignore me if you wish! :)

But is it just the non-Mac forums I visit or are PC users just all round stupid? Like i'm on this primarily windows-user board, there are just 3 of us Mac likers there. I say "like", as in have few, if any, negative things to say about them.

So anyways, this guy just posts about Apples 'one more thing' event... you know... spreading the news and all that. only its met with one guy just saying that apple is all style no substance... so I jump in there and try and give my honest and most non-biased view i can give about the whole Mac experience.

but then a flurry of fools flood the board. oh lordy... it was all "oh the iPod has a short battery life" - which i met back with my Mini lasting 18-20 hours if i just leave it playing in my pocket. and other foundationless acusations and old topics! such as quirks in OS 7!!

I try my hardest to give a well worded and smart reply, because usually that helps people to read what I just said... just to have retards say "im not reading that, mac boy".

Have i been spoiled on the MacRumors forums or what?
    you guys are the best forum guys ever. by the way.

ps. I'm typing this on my windows laptop so please excuse the spelling mistakes. silly machine without a spell checker :rolleyes: :D

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Mostly just ignorance, I guess. They have little personal experience with Macs and only know what they've heard, much of it, perhaps, from other people critical of Macs, or based on outdated information.

Not that Mac forums, this included, are all that innocent. I've seen some rather stupid things here too. But it's not that bad. Otherwise, I whouldn't be here.

3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

You went from a Mac forums stie to a PC site? Thats like going from trig to basic math. Those fools wouldn't be so irratating if you could actually have a legitimate conversation with them. Any response you give them is met with "Eat my Sh3% MAC fan boi!!!!11one!! U sux000rz!!!2!"

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I just love how PC users who defend the platform do so mainly because of the amount of games available for it.

Makes me laugh at the PC nerds...

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

There's nothing wrong with that. Gaming is a legitimate concern when comparing Macs and PC's.

6. derajfast macrumors 6502a

i have converted 5 of my friends to macs, and it took MONTHS of dispelling myths to get them to do so..."yeah but you cant use aim or anything"........how am i talking to you online now? "they arent compatible with anything.....i just sent you a word file.....and then after dispelling EVERY SINGLE myth there is, they will finally say, "well im too used to using a 2 click mouse now"........and now, i can finally say they have no other reasons bc of the mighty mouse (even though i used to tell them yo can buy a 3rd paty).......but to be fair, i think a lot of mac users are the same way with the blind ignorance to windows users as well......i do it with my friends......there are a few things microsoft does well.....(ill refrain from crashing jokes)....personally, i think the windows media center is actually very good, and i was pleasantly surprised by it.....also, office is a great productivity suite

i was thinking, itd be a very interesting experiment to poll say 300 windows users and 300 mac users and see who has the higher IQ ......... i think mac users appreciate the finer things and are certainly more educated....you dont see mac users replacing "s'' with ''z'' when they type and all that nonsense.....

i switched about 2 years ago (aside from my apple IIe from ways back.......now i have that next to a typewriter from 1930 in my room, and she still works) because i had some extra money from the stock market, and was getting bored of building mediocre PCs....i kind of got tired of them i guess.......so i bought my mac just for fun pretty much, and part of the reason i love it so much is that i am always finding these little cool things out all the time....the details are what make macs great...im passionate as the next person here about my mac, but i will probably always have a cheap windwos box just in case.

and lastly, this forum is absolutely great.....the people here are amazingly helpful and nice. just whenever you are around a mac, you feel like you arent worthy. when you walk in to an apple store, you feel like you arent clean enough or worhty to be in there.

even more lastly, what i find interesting, is the difference in windows and mac itunes users....... it seems to me that windows users have their songs all downloaded or ripped and mislabeled, no caps, random numbers, the same artists spelled 5 different wyas on their ipods. this is probably my biggest pet peeve. but people who have macs seem to keep their itunes folders much more organized. i am not an organized person, but when it comes to my computer, i am extremely anal, especially itunes.

sorry for my rant, thats just my views on the windows vs mac communities

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah...if you're a nerd... :p

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Gah its sinking to all new lows now! One guy has come on saying that both him and all his mates have iPods and they all break, they're on their 2nd-4th iPods at the moment. all their headphones broke too. and of course his newish 2G iPod Mini was getting 2 hours battery life... :rolleyes:

there is always one isnt there who just had to throw some BS in there and will try and make it seem that Apple are "teh wurst cmpany EVOR!1lol"

i cant even have an intelligent discussion with them.

but! the best part is one random guy saying "There are no problems with XP, get AVG"... so many problems in that quote :D yea nothings wrong with it, so get a virus scanner!

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes, but most Mac users have used Windows. It's hard not to. You can't say the same about most Windows users using a current Mac. Now granted, Windows isn't quite as bad as it used to be in some areas. But as someone who fixes XP for a living, I've seen it get worse than most people have seen too.

11. nostrum macrumors member

12. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

its a rant. it says so at the end of the first post :rolleyes:

13. Comets_2009 macrumors newbie

I'm so sick of getting chewed out by pc users. I don't even know what to say to them anymore, so I thought I'd ask.

This is what I said to a pc user that I was talking to: Also, another thing, if Macs weren't so good, why would schools use them? Schools wouldn't shuck out the big bucks to buy crap computers.

This is what he said: lies.

Our macs in the programming lab (read: most update computers) suck compared to a computer I or any kid could build for them for half the price. It's rediculous how often they crash, and how long it takes to run Eclipse.

How do I reply to that?

14. risc macrumors 68030

risc

What is wrong with that? I had to take back 2 iPod 3Gs because of shocking battery life, and broken firmware. Also I have had quiet a few Apple headphones break on me, so much so that I refuse to use them anymore. If there aren't problems with iPods why do Apple have an iPod settlement?

15. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

It certainly does. You've got Windows users that run the whole gamut of lunacy (no AIM, can't use Office, even once heard "they don't have color screens"[!!!]), but on the same token, you've got Mac users with some equally crazy ideas:

-Windows is infested with viruses (or excuse me, *'virii', which is an impossible word from the root of virus--virii would derive from "vir" which means "man" but I'm drifting off topic)
    - PC users don't use Macs only because they don't know how good Apple is
    - Windows users are dumb cattle
    - The MHz myth
    - USB sucks and 'teh firewier is superior in every way'
    - There is no such thing as an aesthetically-pleasing PC
    - OS X can do everything Windows can, only better
    - People on MacRumors read what other people have said earlier in the thread before posting inane comments

Raggedjimmi has it spot on though when he talks about MR being superior. The level of discourse is much higher than most other online communities, and there are a lot of people who bring a lot to the community. Debates here can become charged and intense, but at the end of the day, everybody gets along (at least that's what I'd like to think). Unfortunately, there are lots of people who make unqualified statements or jump to extremes (like the nano scratch threads--all still lacking a single bit of photographic evidence). Still, it's always a pleasure to debate with the established members and to get to know each other and recognize others. Those PC groups are overrun with trolls, diehards, and flat out lunatics.

Three cheers for MacRumors!

16. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

I agree with matticus008, Mac users can get just as crazy about how terrible Windows is. Sure, it can be a hassle to use when you're used to the intuitive OS X operating system, but all things considered XP isn't that bad.

Windows zealots, though, seem to be much more difficult to deal with than Mac zealots. An educated Windows user knows that there are advantages to OS X just as an intelligent Mac user can admit that there are things Windows does well. Unfortunately, there do seem to be more Windows users saying things like "teh games on da mac sux so Windows roxers!!!!!111!1!" I haven't actually seen a Mac user say something this ridiculous.

17. myca macrumors 6502

IMHO an OS that isn't that bad isn't good enough, sure I actually enjoy using MS Office, but why does it feel so much better using it in OSX than on any version of windows.

Plus we should never forgive Microsoft for making us click start to turn a computer off :p

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Argh. Yes. That is what bothers me the most about 'angry Windows anti-Mac' users-- they bash on software/hardware that they haven't even given an honest shot at! I mean, I'm guilty of having done that before but that's because I had never encountered a level-headed Mac user who bothered to answer my questions. Once I did... poof, I decided to give Macs a try and saved up for my PB.

19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Right, because when people want to shut off appliances, the first thing they look for is an unnaturally colored depiction of produce :p :D

20. BGil macrumors 6502

That arguement goes both ways since Dell has the most educational marketshare. There are several companies with higher edu marketshare than Apple. The same arguement could be used for corporations too and we all know that 90+ of corporations are running PC's from Dell, Gateway, HP, IBM, and a few others. You won't find much of any Macs there.

21. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

What makes me really wonder is why a PC-user can get so upset by Apple. Microsofts dominance really makes life harder, not just for Mac-users but for computer users ingeneral - Apple only have a 5% marketshare, in other words, they're just a small producer of quality products, not bothering anybody else. But some people really hate Apple anyway :confused:

I guess they're simply envious. Deep inside they know Apple will always exist because there'll allways be people who want to pay for quality. And it bothers them. Because they also knows the time of Ms is limited. Slowly their dominance is fading. They know it, 'cause they too are browsing with Firefox, have Gmail and use iTunes to sync their iPod, and so they know these are all superior apps, with superior functionality. And they know it's ridiculous that development on Ms is so slow, that explorer don't support tabs, that Vista has been delayed for years. And they are scared, very scared, that when it'll finally show up it won't include one single feature that has not allready been included in OS 10.5.

A

22. iGary Guest

iGary

People just don't want to change from what they are used to. It is that simple.

Good for them. I'm not interested in Apple world domination. I turn people on to Macs because I think they will really enjoy what a Mac and OS X is all about. Hence the reason I never tried to convert my dad. He didn't care abot all the good Mac stuff - aesthetics, functionality or otherwise.

When was the last time you heard a PC user go "Have you seen the new Dell Inspiron 3200?" Woah!

You never will.

My arguments with anti-Mac people have always been unfruitful, even when I slap facts in their faces.

23. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You've hit the nail on the head.

24. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

sorry to bring this back up again but something very funny just happened.

If you're an avid Macrumorer then you might have seen a video I uploaded called Bike. its somewhere on this forum. I also posted it on the mainly-PC community that started this whole topic up. first of all a guy says "video doesn't play" so i recommend him to download QT7 or another H264 player. and he says OK, gets the latest windows Quicktime and all is fine. he's happy now.
    But then some guy comes on and says these exact words! they are so GOLDEN that I just had to share with you lot

I just smile :) The Mac is inferior because it plays something that Windows wont? what a pleb aye?

25. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

heheh that is great, i have never honestly met some of these people that are so stupid and ignorant like that :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.