The Pelosi plane

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Been following this much?

CNN

This is, of course, a follow-up. The original story had to do with Pelosi requesting a 757 for non-stop trips between Washington and San Francisco, her home.

Now, there's all kinds of "takes" you can have on a story like this. Let's work from small to large.

First...gee, The Washington Times is a professional newspaper! "Pelosi's Power Trip -- Non-stop Nancy Seeks Flight of Fancy". Yessir, that's the kind of headline Ben Bradlee (over at the competing paper) would've approved of!

Second...I suppose it's just as well that Pelosi never got Murtha to be her Number 2. Hearings? Over this?? What is he, nuts?

Third...I don't know if this is true...given the source, I'm suspicious...but while I agree with Pelosi's desire for security, even that pin-headed wingnut Glenn Beck had a point when he suggested that there's no reason Pelosi couldn't fly in a smaller plane, and refuel at any military base along the way. That would certainly be safe enough.

Finally...in the end, I think this is one you've gotta give the Republicans. An expensive, 200-seat plane, just for her, her staff, and a handful of others? It sounds ridiculous. If Denny Hastert could fit into a commuter plane, so can she.

After all, she's less than half his size. ;)

2. Queso macrumors G4

So can they also scale down Air Force One? Doesn't really need to be a 747 does it?

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Too much. This story is being force-fed to us. It's making me feel bulimic.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from here:
    hastert could get away with a smaller plane because the trip from DC to peoria IL is much shorter than from DC to San Fran.

pelosi offered to fly commercial, but that's apparently verboten for the 2nd in line to the presidency, due to security concerns. any noise the GOP is making is just that: noise. even tony snow said yesterday that this is a non-issue.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just get her the smallest practical plane that can get her safely from DC to SF. Just because hers will be a little bigger than Hastert's is not a big deal.

This "scandal" has been manufactured out of whole cloth.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This story is a perfect example of plane envy.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, the Times was just winging it with this one.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're right, but Pelosi just learned a big lesson. Cross your t's and dot your i's. Conservatives are gonna be all over stuff like this. And just let me also say for the record, I think she can get by with less than what was requested.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

lee, i don't understand this. excerpts from that CNN article i linked above:
    it's clearly a security issue, and even friggin' tony snow agrees. right-wing pundits and some of the GOP congress have decided to make this an issue. and rather than addressing the security concerns, they seem obsessed with the size of the plan (ahem).

how ridiculous has the sniping gotten? let's see what's been said on the house floor:
    uh-huh. grasping for straws, it seems.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They need to cool their jets.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I can't believe that this is even an issue. The government doesn't pay my travel costs to and from work. She can pay for whatever plane she wants to fly in for all I care. Maybe she can lease time on the Flying Squirrel when Kerry's not using it.

I can hardly wait for her to start lecturing me on reducing my carbon footprint.

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

Even better:

Two hours? Please, have they nothing better to do like, oh I don't know, work for their constituents?

They're definitely boeing a little over-zealous.

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

No props for them, that's for sure.

15. Queso macrumors G4

Mate, she's the Speaker of the House. What would you have her do? Take a bus? How about Bush? Put him on a moped and have the Secret Service cycle behind?

Some people get special treatment because of their position and the bigger likelihood that someone wants to target them. They don't enjoy the anonymity the rest of us can. It's the same over here with the Royals.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's turning into quite a flap.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the GOP needs to trim its criticism.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

These are turbulent times. Everyone has to protect their tail. Spin is a necessity.

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Why not a C-38 or any of the other larger Gulfstreams?

20. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You can rest assured he's not attacking Pelosi over this. He's asking for details of congressional use of military flights over the past two years. Let's see if there's more ammo for attacking Republicans than Democrats in that.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I do actually think congressional travel expenses are very fair game, particularly at a moment when we are being asked to foot the ridiculous bill for this so called war / operation / plan / whatever is happening in Iraq.

Plus there are more than a few legislators that could do for a little more walking! :D

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it's all too funny

from what I've read, up until 9-11 the Speaker of the House always flew on commercial airlines.

from today's story in the Los Angeles Times;

"The day began with a news conference in which Pelosi announced she would fly commercial if the military could not provide a plane with a cross-country-sized fuel tank. Pentagon officials, after weeks of deliberation, have offered her the same kind of plane Hastert used but said she could use a larger one if it happened to be available

I am happy to ride commercial coast to coast," Pelosi said, sounding not very happy at all, as she went on to suggest that she was being denied the same privileges provided her predecessor....

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- she needs to chill.

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

but as the GOP and its punditry has just shown, reality doesn't matter. pelosi neither made the request, nor is it w/o justification.

i say, pelosi shouldn't give a rat's ass what the GOP is going to say about her, she should just make sure that what she does is w/in the ethics rules set by the house. trying to pre-empt GOP criticism is a waste of time, imo.