the pen is mightier than the sword

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Choppaface, May 19, 2002.

1. Choppaface macrumors 65816

2. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Good!

I'm glad someone figured out how to get around it...

damned record company nazis... :mad: :eek:

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Sweet!

This is great!! I was hoping someone would find a real simple solution to this.

No matter what form of protection they use, someone will always find a way to circumvent it. The idea that they can beat the armies of determined hackers out there is ridiculous. The record companies have to stop looking at the problem as: every consumer out there is a theif. They have to accept that some people will always steal, no matter what, and make it easy and worth people's time and money NOT to steal.

The more they offer the consumer for less money, the less the consumer will be motivated to steal. Treating all consumers as criminals will only drive MORE people to steal.

Taft

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, with this simple solution it might either make them give up the whole thing (unlikely) or figure out a better way of securing it. Oh, well, take the opportunity while you can. Glad we have an option for now.:D

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well u know they aren't going to give up because of this...

we'll probably see some press release stating how the sharpie method is bad for the life of the disc or something...from the record execs no doubt...

8. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

It appears as if you lose the first track to this process. That would suck. Most albums start with the most desired track and move down from there.

Anyone used the Sharpie technique yet? Can you circumvent the protection while still keeping the first track?

9. Jookbox macrumors 6502

i'm glad this was posted. regardless if you rip or buy cd's, i can't see how this isn't annoying to everyone.

the sad thing is that people call these things 'cd's' when they're not even cd's at all.

10. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

wasnt this in another post elsewhere :confused: ...

oh well.. yeah, this is great... but uh.. has anyone been brave enough (or been willing to spend the money) to try one of these cds with their mac?

jus wondering...

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I just do not want to be in the shoes of the person that was hired to develop a "revolutionary" anticopy system. Or may be, I want to be in the shoes of the developer (of course he got a good pay check) and not in the one that recomend him.

Can you imagine the investment in technology that have been lost?

This should be placed in the most expensive and unefficinet security system of the year.

12. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Not true. You just cover up the part which is made up of date, at the start of the cd. You don't lose any of the tracks.

13. TypeR389 macrumors member

CD's are written from this inside to the outside, so you just lose the weird data track at the end which is causing the problems...

14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    incredible

sony spends a fortune on a new protection scheme and its subverted by a sharpie pen.

the electrical tape method sounds like a real pain...i'd rather do an analog transfer than deal with that....

and thats the funny part-no amount of protection will stop a high quality analog transfer and with the proper equipment the results are 99% indistinguishable from the original. i can start the cd recording, run to the post office and such, come back and its in my computer. chop, label, burn and there you go.

as i've stated elsewhere, i am totally against sharing copyrighted material but planting landmines in cd's isn't the proper record label response to the problem. the labels are gonna have to create a new business model.