The Pendulum Reverses? Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by clayj, Mar 2, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Just found this snippet on another site... thought it was an interesting read:

2. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

At this point, I don't care what they bring out, just give me HD content on a disc! :mad:

3. Oblivious macrumors 6502

I know it's a pathetic question, but can current DVD players read HD-DVD?

4. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

No.

Blu-Ray players can't read HD DVD, and HD DVD players can't read Blu-Ray. They should BOTH be able to read plain old DVD, as well as CDs... but it seems that some Blu-Ray players will NOT be able to read certain older disc formats (like CD).

Whoever comes out with a combination Blu-Ray/HD DVD/DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A player first is going to make a LOT of money.

5. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I just want some freakin HD content. We have a demo at work streaming sony 1080i content from their DVR. It's awesome stuff.

6. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

I've had HDTV for 5 years now... got my first HD cable box back in 2001, got HD DVR cable box back in 2004. So I'm pretty used to watching stuff in HD... enough so that I'm not desperately waiting for HD disc players (Blu-Ray or HD DVD).

I'm actually going to wait a while to see if the market shakes out a bit and one format starts to dominate... right now, I'd give each format about an equal chance of winning. For a while there, it looked like Blu-Ray had ALL of the advantages... but like the original post mentioned, there are cracks in the Blu-Ray scheme that may give HD DVD a chance to jump ahead.

7. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

We have dish network right now, and the HD package. It's so so, I'd say. Then again, we have a front projection Hitachi HDTV. Not as good as some of the stuff we have at work, but you always want what you can't have.

8. DMPDX macrumors 6502

But that doesnt quite work mister clayj. The whole idea of an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player is to pay the revolutionary discs that are made out of a way different material and have a way different layer system for organizing its data. The laser, as I understand it, is the biggest reason why it can't play regular discs. The sony Blu-Ray players that I saw in japan this summer had a label on one of them that read it as a class 2 laser. class 2 = higer than a cd player and higher than a laserpointer.

9. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, but they can put more than one laser in a player. When DVDs first came out, Pioneer made combo DVD/LD players. So it's certainly possible for someone to make a combo player for the newer disc formats... just a question of adding the right equipment inside the case to read them all.

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

So is there a time frame when we can expect actual HD discs to start shipping?