The perfect multi-button mouse?

Discussion in 'Product Recommendations/Reviews' started by evolu, Jan 31, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

I have been on a quest for the perfect mouse. Like most Mac users, I am picky about my products. For example, I would love a Bluetooth mouse, but I would also like to program Exposé features to the 4+5 buttons and BT at this time does not support that. So I settled with a wired mouse for now.

Here's what I would love:

1. Exposé functionality for buttons 4+5.

2. Track anywhere optics - No Mouse Pad!

3. The ability to program a function for hitting button 1+2 simultaneously (and 4+5 simultaneously as well).

The only driver I know that allows a button 1+2 function is Kensington's Mouseworks. But the Kensington Optical Elite I bought needed a mousepad.

So I bought a Microsoft 5 button mouse, which tracked quite nicely without a mousepad - but there was no options available for button 1+2 functionality.

Any picky people out there come up with the perfect mouse? I've read through the forums and it seems most people are asking about Bluetooth Mice.

thanks.

2. macrumors 68000

Veldek

I'm interested in this, too. I'm looking for a 6-button mouse to have three buttons for left, right and double click and three buttons for Exposé. I found the Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse, but I'm not sure if one can program the buttons on a Mac so they work as I want them to. Anyone got this mouse?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

By the way - I have my 1+2 programmed so that when they are pressed together they close the active window.

2nd button is a control-click.

Scroll button is a double click.

like so:

4. thread starter macrumors regular

sorry for the double post--

Didn't properly add that picture....

Attached Files:

5. macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

I just got it a week ago and am loving it. Didn't install the software for it tho (I bought it for the button placement and shape :) ). The fact that it's 6 buttons makes it nice for me, as I have the 2 side & the center button programed on Exposé.

My only complaint so far is that MOH doesn't seem to recognize the 6th button, but I can't exactly fault the mouse for that :cool:

Edit: just saw on another topic that someone said that Logitech's drivers will allow you to program the buttons. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58413

6. macrumors 68000

Veldek

Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear ;) Now I'm just waiting for the G5 speed increases... :D

7. macrumors member

Nah, BT mice are rubbish.

I tried a BT Microsoft Mouse, so inaccurate and although the buttons are nice, it's just awful.

Stick to the cabled one's for the moment, faster better responsiveness, better products.:D

8. macrumors newbie

Try the Kensington Expert Mouse. Its actually an optical trackball with four programmable buttons and scroll ring.

9. macrumors regular

if you are a gamer, Razer the maker of the Boomslang 2100dpi and 1500dpi gaming mice are bringing out a new optical mouse that is 1000dpi. Should be nice and smooth. No release date on it yet.

If I remember right, Razer's mice have the traditional two buttons + scrollwheel/third button. They also have two additional buttons positioned where your thumb and ring finger would sit.

If you have nothing against ball mice, the two current mice are on sale.
    :)

http://www.razerzone.com

10. macrumors 601

Westside guy

Re: The perfect multi-button mouse?

Unless you mean something different than I think you mean, you're wrong about the Bluetooth mice. I've got Microsoft's BT mouse, and have buttons 4 and 5 mapped to Exposé. Matter of fact that's all they're useable for, since there are no MS drivers (so you have to rely on what Apple has built into the system).

11. macrumors regular

Best wireless mouse is the logitech mx700 RF mouse (and keyboard rocks as well)

if you want bluetooth get the BT version of the mouse, whatever the code for that is will be at...
    http://www.logitech.com

12. macrumors 6502a

I agree i have had the Cordless MX Duo for about a month now and it is the greatest mouse and keyboard i have used. It is fully Mac compatable (OSX) and although i haven't used it on a Mac yet as i am waiting for rev. B of the G5 i am sure it will work wonders on the Mac as well. The mouse is rechargable and i normally get a good week without charging.

13. macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't understand the desire to use the mouse without a pad. A well designed pad will offer a much smoother cleaner surface that will make the mouse feel like it's gliding on air.

14. macrumors regular

forgot to say, that all 7 mouse buttons are programable through the logitech control panel in OSX

15. TBR
    macrumors 6502

I have the logiteck MX 700 and it's great....not sure about expose button mapping (still using Jaguar) but I can't see why not...

It's a eight button mouse and scroll and every button is useful, you can even map applescripts to the buttons.

I have

Left Click
    Right Click
    Close Window
    Quit Program
    Open Applications Folder
    Open Safari
    Send to trash
    Empty Trash

I could never go back to a one button mouse and lose these really useful short cuts.

16. macrumors member

Thanks for the info...

That MX Duo looks like a great value....

but, WOW.... the DiNovo is beautiful, wish i had the extra $$$ to blow on that setup.

17. macrumors member

18. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

19. macrumors regular

Re: The perfect multi-button mouse?

The Kensington Optical Elite is the best multi-button mouse I have ever used. And it does *NOT* need a mouse pad... as I certaintly don't use one.

Only problem I've had with it tracking is when a bit of cat hair got stuck over the laser... just keep it clean, and you'll be fine.

20. macrumors regular

nasty... i just couldn't bring myself to by something from microsloth

21. macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I too have the MX500 and love it. Can't do everythingwith it ,b ut the forward and back buttons work with Safari, there are two top buttons, two thumb forward and back buttons, and the scroll wheel is a button as well which are all programmable to some extent with the software...I am using Jag. still do don't know about expose. Most all buttons are programmable to allow for 1-3 clicks, click lock, or right click (to get drop down menu) which all seem to work well with all programs. They can be programmed for most any key and a modifier key ie shift, command, etc. In addition you can have any button open an application, eject a CD, open a web page, document, folder, switch application, sound control, etc. Very flexible.

MX300 is not as many buttons and smaller

MX500 and MX700 are exactly the same except for rechargable batter/cordless feature. There are a number of rebates out there now...check logitech web site, stapels, as well as Amazon for rebates. MY MX500 only cost me 29 bucks...was retailing for 50 most places, but I got it at amazon with a coupon downloaded from logitech for 15 rebate a while back...amazon was on ly 44 bucks at the time.

22. macrumors 603

aswitcher

The MX900 should be also considered - bluetooth MX700 effectively.

23. macrumors 601

Diatribe

Why should anyone consider the mx900 when it doesn't even let you programm all of the buttons? Since the mx900 isn't supported by logitech, at least for mac it isn't, it's not worth a whole lot.

24. macrumors 603

aswitcher

True, the MX900 isn't fully programmable. Its a limitation I still hope they patch. But reports on its use and those buttons that can be programmed have been favourable. If they patch it, I think it would be a front runner.

25. macrumors 6502a

IDANNY