"The photo library was created with an unreleased version of iphoto"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spellflower, Mar 23, 2007.

1. spellflower macrumors regular

That's the message that popped up earlier this evening when I tried to open iphoto. It goes on to say, "Please quit and upgrade this library by opening it in iPhoto 2 or iPhoto 4."

The specs:
    ibook G4 1.33 (the last one)
    OSX 10.4.9 (I just updated from 10.4.8 to try to fix the problem)
    iphoto 5.0.4 (I don't know why I missed the last couple updates- they just never popped up like itunes and OSX updates. I tried installing the latest version of iphoto (6.06), but it won't let me do that since I don't have 6.05, which requires 6.04, etc.)

Also:
    My iphoto library resides on a lacie external hard-drive. This has never been a problem before.

Any suggestions? I'm counting on you guys!

UPDATE:
    When this problem started, earlier this evening, everything else was working normally, but I just went into a file on the external hard drive and it started spinning noisily without bringing anything up. I had to relaunch finder to get it to stop "wonk wonk wonk wonk"ing. I ejected the drive, turned it off for a few seconds, and plugged it back in, only to get a message that the computer couldn't read it. I repeated this after restarting, with the same results. Then I tried again a few minutes later, and everything worked fine, except that I think some of the files were missing from some folders on the HD. Then it started making the repetitive wonking sound again, like it was stuck in a rut, and when I ejected, turned it off, waited, and plugged back in, it said that it wasn't readable again. I don't know if all this is related, but it sure is weird that after months and months of trouble free macbliss, I should suddenly have a bunch of problems all at once. It's definitely making me suspicious of the Lacie Hard Drive. And just when i was about to buy another one!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The upgrade from iPhoto 5 to iPhoto 6 is not free. iPhoto 5.0.4 is the latest version you can have without buying iLife '06. As for the problems, there are a couple of things you could try. Firstly, use Disk Utility to verify and repair your external drive. Secondly, try rebuilding your iPhoto library. :)

3. spellflower thread starter macrumors regular

When I woke up this morning, my external hard drive was back to normal. BUT, my iPhoto problem persists. I tried disk utility, but it could find nothing wrong with the external. Then I tried to rebuild my iPhoto library, but the first step, backing everything up, was foiled when the following message popped up:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in ".iPhoto.db" could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

I tried a few more times, and the same message came up, but sometimes finding fault with different files. What do I do now?

P.S.: I don't know if this is related, but before I tried to copy my iPhoto library, I wanted to see how big it was, so I measured the external with Whatsize, and found that it was 7.63 GB. Oddly, when I tried to move it to another external, with 17+ GB, it said there wasn't enough space. When it started to copy to my internal, it said that it was copying "7kb of 21.85 GB". Is Whatsize unreliable, or is this just more external HD screwiness?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Whatsize is usually pretty reliable... Considering the multiple errors in addition to the size discrepancy and the random freezing, I'd say it's the drive's fault, or maybe the case's fault. Can you free up space on the second external drive you mentioned and copy it to there? Then try rebuilding it again. :)

5. spellflower thread starter macrumors regular

I tried copying to the other external and to the internal, but both come up with the same error (36) again, and won't copy. How do I get past that?

Also, the drive does often make rather a lot of noise, which I've noticed is sometimes alleviated by depressing gently on the top of the case (it's a Lacie Porshe, btw). Is this what you meant by the case's fault?

Thanks again for being such a huge help, Mad Jew. I really do appreciate it.:)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. spellflower thread starter macrumors regular

D'oh! I don't know why I didn't think of that! I successfully copied all my photos to my desktop one year at a time. Then I followed the instructions for rebuilding, but got this message:

"You can't open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto.
    You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto."

I have no idea why this would be the case. I could see it happening if I had plugged the HD with my library into a mac with iLife 06 and messed with it, but I DID NO SUCH THING! I haven't looked at this library with anything but my ibook, ever. AND, it worked just fine a few days ago. I can't think of anything that changed between then and these current problems- not even a software update.

So where do I go from here? iPhoto 5.0.4 seems convinced that I'm cheating on it with a newer version, and won't let me into the house cuz it thinks it can smell her perfume. I'd go spend the night with this gorgeous young babe of an app, but I don't actually know her, so that's out. Looks like another lonely, iphotoless night! Help!