Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Web developers who use PHP, is this exciting or what? 2x script performance, yay! Admittedly the other changes aren't quite as interesting. Now we'll have to get ready to nudge our hosting providers to get on the PHP 7 bandwagon if they have not already done so. ;)

As of right now it's at RC8, the second unplanned release candidate. Judging by the list of fixed bugs, though, looks like it's a GOOD thing this RC was released. More than one segmentation fault bug was fixed.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
Crap, too many new things to learn and too little time to do so. Drupal 8 is out and now PHP 7. Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking forward to the modernization that both of these will bring. It's Christmas in November for web developers!

Now it's time to hear from the obligatory PHP haters that continue to spout off nonsense about how PHP is so insecure -- nonsense of course.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Web developers who use PHP, is this exciting or what? 2x script performance, yay! Admittedly the other changes aren't quite as interesting. Now we'll have to get ready to nudge our hosting providers to get on the PHP 7 bandwagon if they have not already done so. ;)

As of right now it's at RC8, the second unplanned release candidate. Judging by the list of fixed bugs, though, looks like it's a GOOD thing this RC was released. More than one segmentation fault bug was fixed.
Yep, spent the last couple of month double checking production code for compatibility issues. So far none found. I haven't done any extensive tests with PHP7 yet. But I'm ready!

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Yay, I'm watching too. I'm an avid amateur web developer – I'm pretty comfortable with HTML, CSS and JS (and have my favourite preprocessors for each), and while I can achieve my server-side goals with it, I've never felt like I got the hang of PHP's syntax and conventions. (The dollar sign? All those required parentheses? For some reason my brain still wrestles with it after years.)

But, anyway – I'm watching from the sidelines to see what the deal is with this, since it seems like one of the more major leaps for PHP from what little I can tell. If anyone wants to explain what they're excited about, I'm sure I'll do more reading than contributing here.

rochow

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2013
Interesting, I deal with a variety of hosts and nearly all are still running PHP5. The occasional one still runs 5.3 or 5.2. Hopefully compatibility won't be an issue, will be interesting to benchmark and see the 'real-time' difference. More speed is always welcome (though some providers may drop resources given it's faster which ends up negating them anyway. Same way huge CPU & RAM improvements have lead to sloppier programming and negated quite a bit of it).

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
It's about time. Been cleaning up some projects lately to get rid of deprecated code and make them easier to migrate.

One I just picked up has some awful conventions that haven't been used since PHP 4, yet the original dev felt like using them. var $bla as properties, mysql extension...... *shudder*.

SmithKelvin

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2015
They might forgot to fix the defining of a variable with $ prefix. When can we expect from them to eliminate that dreadful prefix?

rochow

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2013
I did some benchmarking and a blank WP went from .25s to 0.9 - pretty nice!

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
Still a few days to go until MAMP 3.5 releases and I finally can test PHP 7.

Yay.. :rolleyes:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
PHP 7.0.1 / 7.0.2 and 7.0.3 have been released with bug and security fixes. Time to call PHP 7 a done deal and await PHP 7.1 - except we still have to nudge some web hosts to get on board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.