The Plague Of Internet Mispronunciation

Discussion in 'Community' started by Freg3000, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Lately, I have been finding myself mispronouncing words that I read primarily (basically only) on the web. Such as Chimera.

I always pronounced it "Chi (as in Chair) mera." But then at MWSF I heard Steve pronounce it "Chi (like Kiser) mera."

Same thing with warez. Whenever I saw the word online, I'd say "war-ez." But then my friend told me it's pronounced "wear-z."

Does anyone else do this? It happens to me all the time. If it does happen to you, what are the other words you mispronounce?

2. vniow macrumors G4

How about people's screennames?

I swear people mispronounce mine all the time, it's vi'neeeohh, not va'neyeow.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I would say that warez is pronounced so it rhymes with chairs. thats what I've always thought anyway. It is, afterall, a play on the last syllable of "software" (or so I've always assumed).

as for chimera, I've always actually pronounced it with the soft CH like chair, but on thinking about it, it may very well be the hard sound like a K, like the word chiten (what makes up an insects exoskeleton which was famously mispronounced in a Doctor Who episode). checking dictionary.com, it is indeed a hard K sound. Who knew.

4. Macette macrumors 6502

chimera is the big one for me.

and it took me a long time to get used to PRAM (tho that's not specifically internet i guess)

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

My grandfather pronounces it "war-ez" too, i thought that was weird. I always pronounced it rhyming with chairs. As for chimera, i pronounced it with a soft "ch" too, until i was corrected (partner has a degree in english, and it's something to do with old literature)...

pnw

6. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Even though I use it daily, consult on it daily, etc. I am still guilty of saying 'OS ecks' every once in a while.

Stems from the long beta period, where is was discussed in type more than in voice.

Hard habit to break....

7. GrandShenlong macrumors member

Chimera

just a little FYI: Chimera was an ancient mythological beast, slain by Bellerophon (MI:2 anyone?). It was an amalgam o snake, lion, and goat (i think, some weird combo). The pronunciation is ki-MAY-ruh.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Our word ‘Chimera’, which is not only a beast but also an organ that has been genetically engineered, came from the Latin ‘Chimaera’, which was a mythological female beast – part snake, part goat, and part lion. So, I would guess that the correct English pronunciation would be how it was pronounced in Latin. But that also brings up an argument, because in classical Latin it would be pronounced kie-my-rah, and an ecclesiastical pronunciation would be pronounced ‘chim-aye-rah’. So neither the ecclesiastical pronunciation nor the classical pronunciation goes along with how most people say it in English. Personally, I pronounce it ‘kie-meer-ah’.

9. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Even though I know it's supposed to rhyme with chairs, I like saying it like "Juarez" as in "Today the Juarez cartel eluded border agents, the INS, and the DEA while..." Makes it sound a whole lot more sinister.

10. MontanaMacster macrumors regular

microsoft

I know how it is supposed to be pronounced, but I always slip and call it crap.

11. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Re: microsoft

lol :D I think that I probably mispronounce a lot of screen names.

12. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

Re: Chimera

unlike warez, chimera is actually a word in the dictionary, so you can look up the proper pronunciation if you're stuck. one that bothers me is linux. is it pronounced with a hard i (line) or soft i (spin)? i always say it with a soft i, but since the creator's name is linus, i suppose the hard i would be correct.

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

I don't think you slipped, man. :cool:

As for the "warez" thing, I combine the two. I pronounces it /wear-azz/.

I usually say /ch-imm-era/, but I don't use "chimera". :D

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what about SQL?

i've heard "ess cue ell" and "see qwell"

what about when it's MySQL?

also:

for everyone who's ever read a book that teaches how to do something, remember that primer is pronounced to rhyme with "dimmer," not "rhymer."

a primer that rhymes with "rhymer" is something that helps start a fire or acts as a basecoat (like for painting)

15. Choppaface macrumors 65816

most people say the letters in the acronym

16. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

SQL

Many people call SQL "sequel." Unfortunately, this is how Microsoft pronounced it when it released its SQL Server product. This reminds me of how Microsoft never refer to surfing the web as "navigating" but always as "exploring." Always call MySQL "my-ess-kue-ell" (like "my-s-q-l") to show that Microsoft doesn't control your vocabulary. :D

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: Chimera

Linus would be something like Lean oos and Linux--Lean oocks.

Prior to being an acronym, SQL was called Sequel at IBM.

Freg3000:

I wouldn't depend on the way Steve Jobs pronounces anything. :D

18. Kid Red macrumors 65816

So you guys who say war-ez also say sharewar-ez? Freewar-ez? No. It's wares, as in plural but spelled with a 'z' because it's against the 'man' like in graffiti.

19. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

These real nerdy types come in the shops sometimes and call it "lie-nux" I tend get violent...

Wear-ez

How about "forte".. anyone care to mispronounce that word?

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

???

that's a real word. does anyone say anything other than "four tay?"

21. Zion Grail macrumors regular

Zim: It actually depends on the situation.

If you mean forte as in music, it's "for-tay". If it's forte as in "That's my forte, or thing I'm best in", then it's "fort". :) Source: Everything You Know Is Wrong (book), Author: Paul Kirchner.

22. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

As Zion pointed out, it is pronounced "fort." It comes from the french word for the strong portion of a blade.

<EDIT> from webster.com

Main Entry: 1forte
    Pronunciation: 'fOrt, 'fort; 2 is often 'for-"tA or for-'tA or 'for-tE
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French fort, from fort, adjective, strong
    Date: circa 1648
    1 : the part of a sword or foil blade that is between the middle and the hilt and that is the strongest part of the blade
    2 : one's strong point
    usage In forte we have a word derived from French that in its "strong point" sense has no entirely satisfactory pronunciation. Usage writers have denigrated \'for-"tA\ and \'for-tE\ because they reflect the influence of the Italian-derived 2forte. Their recommended pronunciation \'fort\, however, does not exactly reflect French either: the French would write the word le fort and would rhyme it with English for. So you can take your choice, knowing that someone somewhere will dislike whichever variant you choose. All are standard, however. In British English \'fo-"tA\ and \'fot\ predominate; \'for-"tA\ and \for-'tA\ are probably the most frequent pronunciations in American English.

23. marcsiry macrumors member

Linux

I heard a sound clip of Linus Torvalds saying "Linux," and he pronounced it "Lee-nooks."

24. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Linux

i had a HS teacher that pronounced it with a hard I as well, for the same reasoning (how his name was pronounced) and i would have KILLED for this evidence back then... it was so annoying :) especially when i started picking it up accidently...

pnw

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, i'll be.

i learned something new today. :)