The Portable Mac OS X Geek

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 19, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    Hmmm. A PowerBook he always leaves at home. It seems like he uses it more as a server of sorts, really. A prime candidate for a Mac mini if there ever was one. It seems so horribly ironic (to me anyway, being a PowerBook owner), having a notebook computer that is permanently tethered to 10 other devices and never leaves the desktop. That probably isn't so unusual, but I often take my PowerBook with me when I leave the house (which is why I bought a notebook computer).

Anyway, it's quite amazing he can do what he does with his PocketPC. I had no idea that was possible.
  3. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Remote, wireless, long-distance control of his Mac from anyplace with WiFi--as though OS X is actually running on his handheld:

4. macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well, while this is geeky and cool, I am not quite sure what the real practicality is here. There might be an occasional use to log in remotely (Like I do with my Office PC machine, which I can log into from home using Microsoft's RDC on OS X) when you need to do something quick, but it seems like this guy uses this remote connection as his main OS for hand held-- Mac OS X is a great OS, but it is not meant for handhelds really. I wonder if you can use inkwell over VNC... ;-)
  5. macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    cmon this is very cool, so much so that random people at MWSF thought it was a screenshot. Chicken of the VNC...
  6. macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    Actually it's too bad the Newton isn't still around... Imagine Apple with a PDA on the market now, with the ability to do this out of the box on every unit.