The PowerBook 12" inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Sijmen, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

There's currently a lot of talk about the new PowerBooks. However, the 12" model is often not mentioned. It's always about the 15 and 17" models.

When comparing to the iBook 14", the PowerBook 12" is definately inferior, price and performance wise. I think it really needs an update.

So, will the PowerBook 12" be updated to be a -Power-Book again? Should I wait 'till September 20?

Thanks.

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Wait as long as you can. Buy when you do need it and can afford it, save money to increase your RAM later. Typing on a 12'"iBook :)

3. Euan macrumors regular

I think with Expo coming up in a few weeks it may be best, if you can, to at least wait until after that. While there is no keynote, they may still announce updates to some models.

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

- 5400 rpm vs 4200 rpm HDD
    - NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR) vs ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 (32MB DDR) video memory
    - 10/100BASE-T Ethernet vs none
    - Analog audio in/out & Mini-DVI out vs none
    - Aluminum alloy enclosure resistant to stains and scratches, 4.6 pounds vs polycarbonate plastic

For the price I think that's pretty satisfying, of course it doesn't matter how much some people have they always want more :rolleyes:

5. godbout macrumors regular

The iBook has 10/100BASE-T Ethernet and analog audio out. It does not have DVI but it does have VGA, comp video, s-video. Also, some people prefer the polycarbonate over the Al because of its durability. I happen to prefer the sweet, sweet Al but that is just me. The iBook has arguably better wireless reception as well. Both comps are great but IMO the 12"PB does need a little boost soon.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would definitely wait till after the Paris Expo before buying a new PowerBook. That said, I think that the current PowerBooks while being very nice computers are in need of an update. Nothing wrong with them, they could just use some upgrades.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The only reason to get the 12" PB is if you're THAT desperate to get Audio In and Mini-DVI out.

For the price, the iBook is a great deal, and the PB is a horrible deal. I do like the look of the 12" PB a lot more, and that's pretty much the only reason to get one.

8. Sijmen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see that the PowerBook 12" has some nice things compared to the iBook, such as a better screen, graphics card, faster HDD, and casing. However, the iBook 14" currently is cheaper, comes with a SuperDrive, more RAM on-board so nothing is wasted with an upgrade.

I think I'll chose to wait 'till the Expo is over. If there's no upgrade that beats the above benefits of the iBook, then I'll buy an iBook 14" and use it. But I really hope they come with a good upgrade by then... one with the strengths of the iBook (built in SuperDrive) and PowerBook (things I listed above) combined :)

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree with you Abstract, the iBook G4 is a great deal for the price.

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good call Sijmen! :)

11. Euan macrumors regular

A very sensible thing to do I think and one that I am doing - no point buying anything that may be updated in a matter of weeks.