The PowerBook's and the iBook's "look"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nightdweller25, Apr 30, 2005.

1. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Mar 2, 2005
    Has anyone noticed how the PowerBook has a really sexy and sleek look while the iBook has a warmer, nicer, cuter, mor welcoming style? My first mac was a 1 GHz 12-inch iBook that was great since it didn't look so intimidating and welcomed me with open arms :rolleyes: . But then I switched over to a 12-inch 1.5 GHZ, 768 RAM, SuperDrive PowerBook. Do you think that the consumer level products are meant to attract people that after a whiel of using them, then go and buy a more "prosumer" model?
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    God, this is something that's been debated here to distraction, but... :D I think many people agree with your position, but individual variability plays a part too. I think that, given that I got exactly the feature set and price (hypothetically) I wanted, and either shell, I would probably choose the iBook shell, because I find it more appealing. Although, it'd be nice if they made some slight material changes so that, for instance, the wrist rests are more resistant to becoming dirty....
  3. Lau Guest

I reckon the iBook's nicer in theory, but when I saw it next to a Powerbook I thought the keyboard looked kinda cheap. When both are closed, I'd say the iBook, but open I'd say the PowerBook. I do like the white acrylic, but I like the quality look of the PB.
  4. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    The White iBook look is why I Bought it over the 12' Power book. Even tho the PB was slightly faster.

Too bad for apple that the "white" is not an option for PB's sorta like "add 100$" or something. I would deffinatly got one then.
  5. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I must be one of those weird people that likes the look of the PBs over the iBooks :p
  6. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    Who cares about the outer? 99.9% of the time, I am not looking at the outer. I am looking at the keyboard or the screen. The PowerBook wins hands down in both of those areas. Well, then again, I have a PowerBook, so I may be just slightly biased...:rolleyes:
  7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I wouldn't buy an iBook, and it is because of the cheap / plastic look of the case. I much prefer the look of the PB. Its just more streamline and sleek.
  8. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    How much better, really, is the PowerBook keyboard?

I think I've tried one once but I don't remember.

I'm thinking about replacing my iBook G3 and am leaning towards the iBook G4...but I mainly type a lot on-the-go.
  9. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2005
    In my opinion, much better. I have an old TiBook, my uncle has a 14" iBook G4, and my dad has a 15" aluminum powerbook (Q16). I like the iBook keyboard, but I love the modern powerbook keyboard. Actually, the trackpad is the area I really prefer the Powerbook over the iBook.
  10. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

Apr 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    i've got a 12inch powerbook right now, but before i bought this i had a 12inch ibook and SOOOO glad i upgraded to the powerbook. the ibook was just cheaply made and would get really drity easily. even just holding the ibook i could feel the components just moving around and just didn't feel like it was built well @ all. the powerbook on the other hand is probably the best built computer i've seen yet. looks awesome too. just the thing that really bugged me about the ibook was how dirty the palmrests get after just a few uses, otherwise it's a decent machine for the price, but i'd still rather shell out hundreds more for a more professional looking powerbook.
  11. RJP31484 macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I absolutely think that the PB looks more professional/sexy/classy. The ibooks look like a toy to me. The one things that makes me look twice in their direction, however, is the fact that they are so much sturdier. You are not going to "dent" an ibook.
  12. el greenerino macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    Yes the powerbook keyboard (and the current ibook keyboard) are the types of things the induces mac devotion.

This makes me wonder how Apple could improve their design? They seem perfect, but it would be a bore if they never changed. It's been four years since a major redesign, what's next?
  13. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

Apr 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    be cool if they went widescreen on the 12inch powerbook
  14. Tilmitt macrumors member

Apr 30, 2005
    Although i'm going to get a 15" PowerBook in the summer I think they look really boring and dull compared to iBooks. I also think that the brushed metal look in OS X is REALLY ugly I wish they'd only use the plastic look in OS X. And if only they sold pretty plastic PowerBooks....alas....
  15. evilbert420 macrumors member

Jul 22, 2002
    While I like the look of the PB 12", it's the 15" PB that I think looks great. Especially now with the Dashboard try looking like the aluminum holes.

Until I really looked at the PBs, I didn't notice the similarities between the PowerMac G5s and the PowerBook G4s. Now I see the design consistencies.