Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
The Apple PowerMac has every kind of feature that a workstation has: Support for dual processors, multiple hard drives, and support for two displays. It has an extensive amount of cache memory, has gigabit ethernet support, and supports many different SCSI devices. It comes with many different software tools designed for programming, graphic and sound editing. It can use huge flat-panel displays for advanced graphic and digital video editing. All this and more (I think). . .

IMHO, the PowerMac is a low-end workstation and should be marketed that way to prevent confusion. This is exactly the reason why PowerMacs cost so much. This means that the iMac is a consumer desktop; quite possibly in the near future there will be a high-end desktop iMac as well. The eMac is Apple's flagship budget desktop, the PowerBook is a desktop replacement system and the iBook is a low-end thin-and-light consumer notebook.

Any thoughts? :eek:

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Ok, maybe Apple could come down in price a little bit. Instead of shooting for 30% profit margins, why not shoot for 10%. They should be worrying more about market share right now than profit, anyway. ;)

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
i think the g4 powermac server models should be the workstation (they are tho) model, while the normal powermac line be desktop, since when i talk to ppl who are thinking of becoming switchers, they want a mac with lots of customization (internal-wise)

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
It would be nice if they could cut prices nearly in half. Though many will say it's not possible, I've heard a rumor that Apple is pressuring manufacturers to cut production costs; can't remember where though. :rolleyes:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
They can cut the prices quite a bit--if you like plain beige boxes.

Personally, I like a littie bit of style. At these prices, we're getting more style than speed, so we'd better enjoy it.

The old PowerMacs used to have specs. right up there with professional workstations--except for video cards, but then, the video cards were available for as much as the machines.

Maybe they should create a new line of PowerMacs which are higher-priced with high-speed storage and integrated solutions for the workstation market and reduce the price of the current line to become a new Prosumer PowerLiteMac line. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.