The President, and the National Guard

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Roger1, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Hi. I have a question that's been bugging me, and I haven't been able to find an answer to it. Back when Katrina hit, I recall President Bush wanting Governer Blanco to turn authority of the national guard over to the Federal Government.

My questions are:

1. Why was the Presidents reason for wanting this?

2. Was it a precedent of any type?

3. Why would Blanco refuse?

I looked on these forums and couldn't find and answer, and I couldn't find anything googling it (probably googled the wrong stuff). Sorry, just feel like a civic lesson tonight. :eek:

2. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Well, if i'm not mistaken the National Guard is a patchwork of state militias under the control of their respective states...

I think they're also called into federal service from time to time in case the federal government needs them (in this case for law enforcement, food/water delivery, evacuations and such). I'm not sure if Blanco had the authority to refuse to relinquish control or not... Perhaps she thought the units would do better without the feds involved.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there's some info about declaring an emergency at snopes, though it doesn't really answer all your questions.

lots o' GOP-smearing going on during and after katrina; we know the m.o.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Maybe they were all too busy in Iraq? No, I don't know. There are a lot of unanswered questions about that and things that just don't make sense. I try not to think about it. It makes my head hurt. I baffles me how badly we've been screwing things like this up.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

While not really an answer to your Q, the NG are basically Federal troops typically under the control of their respective state governors, but they can be called into national service at any time, AFAIK. I don't think the governors have a say which is why so many are worried about local disaster relief efforts being hampered because so many Guardsmen are being sent to the Middle East.

The idea that the NG is a modern day state militia is incorrect. NG troops are part of the US Army and Air NG troops are part of the US Air Force. They just serve their home states unless called into national service.

Lethal

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The National guard was intended for Wars and disasters here at home read Nation of the United States. It wasnt intended to go fight dreamed up wars overseas pretending to be the everyday army yet Bush and his draft dodging buddies have screwed this up as with everything else they have put their hands on. So now we have weekend warriors fighting Georges Stupid War over in the soon to be islamic Theocracy known as Iraq and doing 2 or 3 tours!
    Meanwhile when we get hammerd here at home by Katrina George didnt have many troops that could respond anyways. Its what America gets for voting Republican and letting these draft dodging rich folk set policy from Corporate America's coozy offices.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't think any branch of the US Military's intent is to go fight dreamed up wars overseas, and NG units have served overseas in everything from WWI to peace keeping missions in Haiti. While typically NG units serve the needs of their home states it's not uncommon for them to be mobilized on a national level and sent overseas.

Lethal