'The Prisoner' set to return?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Jaffa Cake, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The BBC reports that Sky One is looking into making a new version of TV classic The Prisoner – according to the report, it's going to be a 'radical reinvention' of the original. Bringing back a classic series worked for the BBC with Doctor Who – it looks like Sky are pinning their hopes on the same happening for them.

I suppose Sky needs something new now that they've lost their monopoly on live football... ;)

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Sounds interesting, but I would prefer Sky made a new series of Red Dwarf (now that the BBC seem to have given up on it).

If they make sure they get the same actors and writers back, I should be just as good as the original.:D

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Boo, hiss. Bad idea. They aren't going to get Patrick McGoohan back -- he's nearly 80 now.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

.. could easily replace him with Sly Stalone or Marky Mark! :rolleyes:

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Now you're really scaring me.

What is it with remaking classics? Who thinks they can make a classic better than the original?:confused:

6. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

"the new series would take "liberties with the original" and would not retain its arty feel."

Bah. Count me out.

Lemme guess, they'll set The Village in a virtual environment....oh, wait, that's The Matrix...

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I rented every single episode of the Prisoner earlier this year, and watched each DVD. Some episodes were fun, some were puzzling, some got a bit dull in places, but I enjoyed them overall.

I'd watch a remake, and probably complain about it too.

As always, I am Number 12149.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In and of itself, the idea of remaking The Prisoner is fine. But if the remake isn't going to be at least as smart and bizarre and quirky as the original, why do it?

I'll reserve judgement, but I wish they wouldn't do remakes and then tell us that it's not going to be like the original. Last year the WB tried to do that with a pilot for a new Lost in Space that inexplicably did not include the saboteur, Col. Zachary Smith, and the robot. That pilot went nowhere, no pun intended.

ABC has rightly taken criticism for Night Stalker, which is an interesting show in its own right but has almost nothing to do with the original. If you're going to change 90% of the show's look and feel, why are you still hanging onto the original character names? (I know, I know: $) Why not just invent an entirely original show and say it was inspired by The Night Stalker? It worked for The X Files.

I'm more excited about the release of Nowhere Man on DVD. At least I know that was a quality series on a par with The Prisoner.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Like Doctor Q, I also rented the entire box set earlier this year while convalescing and watched an episode a day... I was so ill at one point, I almost feel I understood the final episode.

It was interesting to watch the writing evolve from the first mysterious action-driven episodes to the later psychological mind-games.

I wouldn't trust Sky to commission anything that is as remotely good or interesting. It'll be a ratings-driven project that'll be far more accessible to a wider audience -- doubt that the art direction will be as interesting either.

Be seeing you... :cool:

10. minimac macrumors member

I really liked the original Prisoner and it will be interesting to see what they do with it in a new series. Tom, I agree, why not just create new shows that are inspired by the original? I think Lost does this pretty well, it has elements from other series but does it's own thing. I loved Nowhere Man and can't wait for the DVD!

11. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Has red dwarf even aired outside of the UK?

[​IMG]

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yes... they used to show it on some PBS stations in the US.

Back OT: I think remaking The Prisoner is a HUGE mistake. The only reason you should remake a TV show or movie is if you think you can improve on it... and I really don't see how that's possible in this case.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, I'm not saying a good remake couldn't be made, but it would take somebody with appreciation of the original and exceptional filmmaking skill.

If I were hiring somebody to remake The Prisoner, it would be the team of George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh. If you've seen "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" and "Solaris", you understand why I would pick them. "Solaris" in particular was an intelligent, oddball film.

14. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

I think it's more of an 'easy money' idea. Perhaps the thought is that since the original was so successful, a remake is guaranteed money (as they assumed fans of the original will flock in droves to it).

*shrugs* :rolleyes:

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ack! No, not Steven Soderbergh! (The man who ruined the remake of Traffick, among other things.)

It's a complete lack of original ideas, is what it is. And a complete lack of creative vision or courage -- the very factors that made The Prisoner such a durable series. It's a shame, really. The Prisoner has its own legacy. People still want to see the original. They should just leave it alone!

16. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hopefully, the new version will encourage people to look up the old series – other than that, I don't see much favourable about a potential remake.

17. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Wow, a couple of people actually watched Nowhere Man? I also loved that show, and love the Prisoner references...

Re-making The Prisoner is a horrible idea...without Patrick, it's not going to be The Prisoner, simple as that.

18. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

I'm with most of you... they're going to redo a show which was successful largely because of its "arty feel" -- only without the arty feel. Genius.

Maybe they'll redo the terrific Ron Grainer theme and make it a muddled, tuneless, new-agey "atmospheric" piece as well. Can't wait for that.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"I am not a number, I am a pale imitation!"

The good news is, we in the U.S. probably won't get to see this show, no matter how it turns out.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, down to the standard opening intro, just like The Prisoner used to do.

Remember the episode where Tom found himself in an idyllic town with other people who'd been "erased"?

Yeah, but who wants to see an 80-year-old man running from a balloon? ;)

Well, you know who would have been the ideal guy to make it? Stanley Kubrick.

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I loved "Solaris"... the SF screenplay I wrote was inspired quite a bit by that film.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You mean The Prisoner, or Traffick?

I just thought of a possibly worthy sequel to The Prisoner -- and it could (should) star Patrick McGoohan. Can anybody guess where I'm headed with this?

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The Prisoner.

I also have to wonder what a David Lynch version would be like. :p

A show about a guy held captive in a nursing home? :confused:

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Amazing but incoherent. Still, The Prisoner did have a dwarf in it, so you may be onto something there... :)

25. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

"Eeeeeeeviiiillll!!!"