Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
The way I see it is that the problem, and don't get me wrong I had no issue when Steve said that is all we are going to say today about Macs, but the problem I have with this year's Macworld is that it gave me no new products to buy. AppleTV won't be out for a month (at least 2 weeks from now), neither will the new Airport Extreme (which honestly I'm not thrilled about shelling out $179 for when my Airport Extreme works just fine). And with no more on Leopard, features or a release date, and no iLife '07, not even a teaser, I am left waiting indefinitely for something new to buy from Apple. I am going to be replacing my Mini with a 24" iMac when Leopard comes out so AppleTV doesn't even make sense next month for me until I have an 'n' equipped Mac and a new router. That is unless I want to stagger them to make it seem like it costs less, but then I have to ethernet the Extreme to the Mini just to use my new AppleTV. But none of that matters as I hope that by the time AppleTV and Airports ship next month, we will at least have a release date for 10.5.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Your Mac mini doesn't have an 802.11n capable wireless card. Only the Core 2 Duo Macs and Mac Pros have them.

Because you only have one computer you can just use 802.11g to sync an appleTV to your Mac - that way all your media content is stored on the device and you won't need the added benefits of fast streaming.

No need for you to buy the new router, you can't get 802.11n anyway. Unless you have a more recent Mac that's not in your signature.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Your Mac mini doesn't have an 802.11n capable wireless card. Only the Core 2 Duo Macs and Mac Pros have them.

Because you only have one computer you can just use 802.11g to sync an appleTV to your Mac - that way all your media content is stored on the device and you won't need the added benefits of fast streaming.

No need for you to buy the new router, you can't get 802.11n anyway. Unless you have a more recent Mac that's not in your signature.

I know the Mini doesn't have 'n', that was my point.

Can't I use the 'n' if I have a new Extreme, AppleTV and have the Extreme hardwired to my Mini via the ethernet LAN port rather than wirelessly, like I had my old G4 for years? I am more interested in streaming anything I want off my 500GB HDD than I am storing in the 40GB of AppleTV internal storage.

Right now I have 5 genre alias folders in my Mini's home directory's Movies folder that point to my external drive. They are Action, Comedy, Drama, Suspense, and LOTR. When I use front row on the Mini and I go to videos and then movies and it brings up those subfolders and I can choose any movie I have ripped in handbrake. However I have yet to hear if I will be able to access my 'Movies' folder that way through AppleTV or if I have to actually add all those movies into my iTunes library. If I have to do that I lose my genres and all my movies are then lumped together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.