The Problems with the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Chimpan-A, Jan 10, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

This thread is my attempt to bring together a list of all the things that are preventing the iPhone being all it could be...

The Problems with the iPhone.

Storage - I would rather have a hard drive in it than just flash ram. An 80 gig model, even if a few millimeters fatter would allow me to actually replace my iPod with this. At the moment it can only replace ones iPod Nano.

An SD Card slot or equivalent. For adding storage and downloading photos from cameras etc. Or maybe it should have...

A USB port. Mainly for plugging in USB Flash Drives to swap data

Wireless syncing - It has WiFi built in for crying out loud. We should be able to sync to a mac with out a cord.

3G - It needs to offer the latest internet connection methods, not just EDGE.

Vibrate Mode- An often used mode on cellphones for when you dont want your phone to make a noise when a call comes in - does the iPhone have this? it wasn't mentioned.

Ability to switch quickly to different customizable modes - like on most phones, so that I can have a silent mode, an 'At the Office' mode etc each of which has different ring settings etc - maybe it has this but it wasn't mentioned. In fact it should have...

Full Telephony functionality - Different Answerphone messages for different callers, different ring tones for different callers, ability to automatically direct certain callers to voicemail and let others through. Maybe it can do this.

Third party apps - Hopefully we can write software for it.

A Stylus - Yes the touch screen solution looks good. But why not offer a stylus as well, so that then it could recognize handwriting and serve as a PDA too, in fact...

Why is this not a full blown PDA? Or PDA-Killer? If it is running OS X why not make it a full mini computer. The stylus would be necessary, but surely there is no technical reason to not let this do everything a Newton could and more?

It would be cool to be able to buy songs and movies directly from the iTunes store from the iPhone without a computer

And of course the fact it can't be bought separately from Cingular contracts sucks, as does the price, but that will come down

Anyone else have any thoughts or changes they would make...

2. macrumors 6502a

Passante

3. macrumors newbie

Slipperyskates

Wireless syncing would really give the iPhone a boost, I'm guessing that this might be added later, since the wireless standards necessary are already built in. And if not I'm sure someone will come up with a hack.

Steve did mention in his keynote that it had a silent switch on the side, much like current smartphones. I took this to mean a vibration option, but now that you point that out it was never explicitly stated.

Apple did the right thing with getting rid of the stylus, though. I have a Treo, and using the stylus is a pain, especially since with a cellphone you generally pull it out, hit a few buttons and put it away. Getting rid of the stylus also allows you to use it with one hand- like an iPod.

4. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Regarding wireless syncing:
    The phone had bluetooth​

5. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I wish they replaced EDGE with 3G and added an iChat mobile for chatting when you're in a WiFi hotspot....

I think they can add the iChat mobile through a software update or once it's released it will fulfill that capability

I also hope Cingular responds to the iPhone by setting up an "iPhone" plan where you get an all-in-one data plan that suits the iPhone moreso then other phones.

If Cingular does that and the iChat is added I can see myself purchasing this phone...if not then I'll possibly wait until the second version

6. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

The Phone is not finished. It is still in devolopment, many things could possibly change from now until June.

7. macrumors newbie

(pssst..it has Bluetooth... FOR CRYING OUT LOAD)

Enough said...

8. macrumors 604

zap2

I gots a problem with it...its not out yet!! :rolleyes:

But really...iPhone is rocks, as your "problems"

Bold is you...not bold is me.

Storage - How much do you want it to cost? and now big?
    An SD Card slot - Not needed , wastes space

A USB port- Thats on of the worst ideas EVER

Wireless syncing - In due time....all Apple needs to do is a software fix, and its all good.

3G - Meh...it was Wi-Fi I'm fine

Vibrate Mode
    - I'm sure Apple will have it...its just not a very "cool" for Jobs to brag about.

Ability to switch quickly to different customizable modes -Might have it...but even if it didn't thats really a very small detail

Full Telephony functionality - Again your talking about things we don't know about

Third party apps
    - If its runs OS X...I think someone will hack it, or Apple will open it

A Stylus - Jobs mocked this idea...see keynote for reasons.

It would be cool to be able to buy songs and movies directly from the iTunes store from the iPhone without a computer
    -I'll give your that one...but I'm not sure Cingular would have gone with that idea

And of course the fact it can't be bought separately from Cingular contracts sucks, as does the price, but that will come down

You want them to had more features, but drop the price? Pick one!!!

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Good for you! :)

10. macrumors P6

dukebound85

a usb port would be nice if you think about it....especially for thumbdrives

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it has bluetooth, and WiFi. But I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the only way to sync your iTunes library with it is via a cable. If not then great

12. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Why in the world would you put a thumb drive in your phone. It's a phone not a mobile computer!

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you guys so defensive. It was more just a hypothetical discussion of what would make this device 'perfect' or at least 'better'. It was not meant as an attack on the iPhone which I think is very cool.

For the sake of making my list of wishes or dream features complete I included a very small comment about the price. I was not suggesting for a moment that in the practical world they can reduce the price and add all these features. So I don't think i need to "pick one!!!"

I was just making wish list. I apologize as I seem to have disturbed you somehow.

Out of interest, why would adding a USB port be "on[e] of the worst ideas EVER"?

The idea of a stylus was not to replace the great multi-touch mode they have created, but just an idea for adding even more functionality. Handwriting will be faster for writing long documents than using a touch screen, will it not?

Anyway, try to relax about it all. Its all just opinions.

cheers

14. thread starter macrumors newbie

Why can't it be both? It is already running OS X and can run "desktop quality" applications.

15. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It's all about simplicity, if you want a do-it-all device carry a MacBook around with skype.

16. macrumors P6

dukebound85

besides the fact the iphone can get on the internet send emails, play music, videos and even runs a version of osx....yea just a phone i guess im wrong. what was i thinking

id like a usb port to transfer data...how hard would it be to change the dock connector cable to just a plain usb port to charge up the ipod? this would also provide more functionality to those who may appreciate it

17. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I really don't see the need for a USB port or SD slot because it has bluetooth. I never use the USB cable for my phone when transferring data, instead I use bluetooth. It's just easier.

18. adk
    macrumors 68000

adk

I really don't think it would be physically possible to squeeze a full size USB port into the iphone. Jobs said it was thinner than the Q, and with all of the gadgets already squeezed into that tiny package I just don't think there's room. A microSD slot would be a much more practical suggestion, but once again, space is an issue.

19. macrumors 6502a

macman2790

i hope it can run windows xp on bootcamp.:D

Im really just kidding, i hate windows, never will use it again unless i'm forced too.

20. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Now that would be fun, just for the sake of it.

Hey, look. I can run multiple OS'es on my phone! :D

21. macrumors demi-god

Oye, a dual-boot phone. Now that's hot. :eek: :D

To the OP:

IMO, the problem with more storage isn't "a few mm more of space", but battery. It takes WAYYYYYYY more juice to run a hard-drive (like the 30gb/60gb iPod) than it does flash memory (like the nanos).

22. thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point, I think you're probably right

23. macrumors 6502a

darwen

Its just a silly idea. I doubt anyone is upset, it just dose not make sense. You say you think the phone is very cool yet you are cutting it down right here. Let me put it this way, would you have made a post saying all the things you thought were cool about the phone? No, I would hope not. Nobody really has any intrest. People click on your topic though to see the propaganda (for lack of better word) you are putting forward. Most of your complaints have either been addressed or are not logical. This whole post is not very apple. Most of these 'features' seem to be a step in the wrong direction. I can clarify if that does not make sense.

This is a perfect example. Have you tried using a stylus? I dont mean on a friends PDA or in a store... have you lived with one? I used a tablet for 6 months and I must say, stylus' seem a lot better in concept than use. Handwriting looks cool until you are writting a letter or an essay. You need to double check everything and correct most things. If it does not get it 100% correct it takes much longer to do. Editing the recognition is just to difficult.

EDIT: In addition, read up on how the phone was first invented. It is ALL based on the multi-touch, the whole thing based around that. Adding a stylus wouldnt make sense even as a 'why not' feature. The OS was designed as a use for multi touch, not the other way around. Stylus applictions use the latter concept.

24. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/V705SH/SHJ001 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

List of improvements needed:
    camera, at least 4 or 5MP
    barcode reader
    digital wallet
    tv

That is a good start.

25. macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Sorry, it cannot sync wirelessly even with bluetooth and wifi. Doesnt make sense but thats just the way it is.