"The Producers"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I saw the original with Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel years ago, and I'm also familiar with the Broadway cast album.

But seeing the new version is something else. As I stated in another thread, I once heard a reviewer praise a comedy by calling it the work of "lunatics with cameras". That pretty much sums up "The Producers". :D

I'm still chuckling over certain bits. There is a lot of gay humor, of the extremely limp-wristed type. (Roger Bart probably utters the longest single-syllable word in the history of motion pictures.) There's a crazy Nazi, there's horny little old ladies...in short, something to offend everyone. (What else would you expect from Mel Brooks?)

I have to say this: some reviewers thought the acting was way overdone. Lane and Broderick, in particular, shout their lines as though they're still playing to the back row of the balcony. And the reviewers also mentioned that the whole look is "stagey"; i.e., they didn't really "open up" the story much for the movies.

All true enough. But I'll allow that the director, Susan Stroman, was trying for that look, that is, that overblown 1940s musical look. When viewed that way, those "deficiencies" don't look nearly as bad.

Overall, this is a film I'd recommend without hesitation to anybody (except, perhaps, the kind of audience that gets offended by stuff like The Book of Daniel). The craziness in it is inspired in a way which I think compares favorably to "Airplane!" and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". It's that kind of lunacy. It is without a doubt the funniest thing I've seen in at least a dozen years.

I'll let it go at that for now. I've gotta go find the producer of this thing and invest in 100% of the sequel. Carry on.

Thomas Elizabeth Veil

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I saw the show live when it was in Melbourne and I much preferred it to the movie as there's something about it being live that makes it special. However the movie was pretty well done.

The whole time I was thinking "it's as if they're filmed exactly what they did on stage". This was good, but at times I found it a bit annoying along with some of the (over)acting. Uma Thurman was excellent though.

While it was enjoyable to watch I think could have been better adapted for film (like Chicago was).

LOL! :D

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

Thanks for the info, TV. I look forward to seeing it soon. If it's half as funny as Airplane!, I'll have a great time. :D

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh lord... if you've never seen it before you might actually wet yourself the first time they sing "Springtime for Hitler"!

The Producers and Blazing Saddles are my favorite Mel Brooks films I think. I remember my parents letting me watch Blazing Saddles after first cautioning me that I should never ever repeat the things they said in the movie (ie "Give us a good old ****** work song./ I get no kick from champagne...") when I was a little kid. :D

5. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

A movie of a musical of movie :confused:

Actually, I love the original film, and I saw the stage show in London a couple of months ago with Lee Evans and Nathan Lane, and it was one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. I would be quite interested to watch the new version to see if they've managed to catch the energy of the live performance.